What's new

22r shit ton of blow by, but only sometimes

YotaAtieToo

Thick skull
Member Number
Loc
Bonners Ferry, ID
81 22r, unknown milage, but assuming "enough" :laughing: runs really well, more power than any 22r I've driven and maybe more than some 22re's.

Last few times I went out, it literally pushed the dipstick out and blew oil everywhere. Seems to be when I was rodding it, pushing snow.

What causes excessive blow by in these? Just a worn ass engine? Or?

The PCV valve might not be functioning properly on the valve cover. I had this issue, my dipstick is locked in so it would leak out of the valve cover half moons when the pressure built up.

Last edited:
When I had blowby issues on a 22re one time it was because the rings in one of the cylinders all came apart all at once. It was down a cylinder when that happened though, so it sounds like a different issue.

So I bought a new pcv valve from auto zone since they had one for $4. It was obvious that the current one came from there also and was nor original. The old one you could still hear the check valve moving but it didn't seem as free as the new one.

I did notice the hose was slightly kinked where it went into the intake.

I also bought Stuff to just delete the valve and have a straight breather filter. Any downsides to this on a pos wheeler?

So I bought a new pcv valve from auto zone since they had one for $4. It was obvious that the current one came from there also and was nor original. The old one you could still hear the check valve moving but it didn't seem as free as the new one.

I did notice the hose was slightly kinked where it went into the intake.

I also bought Stuff to just delete the valve and have a straight breather filter. Any downsides to this on a pos wheeler?
If you vent it. Go with a draft tube to get the oil and fumes away from the cab and the occupants.

I've been driving it a bit and noticed some fumes. Still dripping oil, bust hasn't blown the dip stick out yet. I may just try to put the pcv back and see how that goes.

Same problem, 22RE with mods.
Eliminate PCV plugging the intake properly (lce sells them) run line to a catch can with filter.
Some aftermarket valve covers have built in baffling which may elevate the need for a catch can...Just need a filter and plug.
This in reference to a crawler, not much street time, and some drunk guy on the interwebs...

:flipoff2:

20230423_140923.jpg
From an 83 fsm
personally
I'd use the valve rather than losing the scavenging it provides.

20230423_140923.jpg
From an 83 fsm
personally
I'd use the valve rather than losing the scavenging it provides.

Good to know.

I think I'll put it back on, I also got a straight barb fitting to replace the 90 where it went into the intake. Should help with the kink.

What about the bigger breather on the front of the valve cover? Right now it's just routed to the intake filter.

That’s how it’s supposed to go. It allows fresh air into the crankcase. With enough blow by it becomes a second vent for the crankcase pressure.

That’s how it’s supposed to go. It allows fresh air into the crankcase. With enough blow by it becomes a second vent for the crankcase pressure.
I had a worn our 22R that needed the PCV valve removed, and a hose barb to some 3/4" hose that I vented behind the cab so I didn't have to smell it. That thing went through 1gallon of oil per tank of fuel. Everything was worn out,

So it's still doing it, only when it get a little hotter when beating on it in the snow.

I think this engine is going to come out soon. :laughing:

Top Back Refresh