What's new

21/22 tires for snow and ice

normal hard summer tires do it too

think of how often you go from 0-60 in 3 seconds, now think of how often you've encountered an idiot and had to go 60-0 in 3 seconds
the minor amount of wheel slip from hard braking just wears out the leading edge of the tread blocks faster

It blows my mind how the average person will maintain speed or even accelerate to the last 20 fucking feet before a red light or stop sign. Like you said, 60-0 in fucking 3 seconds or less.

junk tires off the pile at work are cheaper than brake pads that you gotta steal because the junkyard refuses to sell them to you :flipoff2:
Picknpull does. I saw a guy buying one side front pads, when he found out it was ½ off day he went back for the other side.

Picknpull does. I saw a guy buying one side front pads, when he found out it was ½ off day he went back for the other side.
I always grab fresh pads when I see them in cars I own. Twenty bucks is twenty bucks.
My local yard won't sell them, but they don't make a fuss when I put them in my tool bucket for them to see.

I always grab fresh pads when I see them in cars I own. Twenty bucks is twenty bucks.
My local yard won't sell them, but they don't make a fuss when I put them in my tool bucket for them to see.
They were in not that great of shape.

You know you can get new pads for about $20, right?

So km3's?
seems the comps are ko better by a hair in pac snow...
but ice slush km3' suck?
Lookin at day run fun not doing the con \ fordyce...
Any input besides thorndirds???:grinpimp:

So, uh, did you get your new tires in time?….
But seriously, checking in on you due to your location.
Sadly no new tires yet.

Thanks for checking in. I just thawed out after two weeks of no power:eek: Only 30" accumulated snow but tons of downed debris. Took forever to get a proper plow back my direction.

Fortunately, no need to go out. Shitty road conditions.

of course, snow is almost burnt off.:homer:

Sadly no new tires yet.

Thanks for checking in. I just thawed out after two weeks of no power:eek: Only 30" accumulated snow but tons of downed debris. Took forever to get a proper plow back my direction.

30" of heavy ass wet snow knocks down a lot of shit :laughing:

:laughing: At least you're honest. Second the :homer:.

I also was lazy the last 2 years, and ran Cooper Discoverer M&S tires year round. They were 60% as effective in the winter as studs- managable, but noticeably slippery. Soft compound and sipes are the two things to look for. Standard hard big-block MTs suck in the winter, for road driving. I frequently took family trips in my wife's studded-up Subaru because the Jeep was less capable.

I quit being lazy and got some Clist Nokian Haakapellitas. Much more sure-footed, and KM2s for the summer.

Still never bought a new set of tires, though!

HighGear-sdn-092916-1-2-930x1240.jpg
I run the studded version of these in the winter. I live on hill and there is no substitute for studs on an icy hill besides cork chains which I also use when it gets really nasty.

30" of heavy ass wet snow knocks down a lot of shit :laughing:
I'm not sure how wet the snow was. My bucket that I packed down and used to help keep my freezer cooler only melted to about 1/4 volume snow to water.

Here is top of my driveway with half plowed road:
snow2_crop.jpg

It was about 6-8" of snow/slush on top of blacktop. While digging myself out, I watched trucks sliding all over the place... one being a 4wd with chains:eek:

I'm not sure how wet the snow was. My bucket that I packed down and used to help keep my freezer cooler only melted to about 1/4 volume snow to water.

Here is top of my driveway with half plowed road:
snow2_crop.jpg

It was about 6-8" of snow/slush on top of blacktop. While digging myself out, I watched trucks sliding all over the place... one being a 4wd with chains:eek:

Typically Sierra snow falls when it's like 30-33*, which makes it wet heavy stuff.

Up here most of the snow I can clear with a leaf blower. :laughing:

Sadly no new tires yet.

we get about the same snow as you, got just over 30" that last storm.
we had about a dozen tree tops break this time
well house 12-29.jpg

I put studded tires on the wife's Tahoe for the winter. they work awesome but only get about 2+ years before the studs start wearing bad or falling out
as mentioned, studs are legal certain times of the year
per Caltrans
Studded snow tires are permitted in California from November 1 until April 30 each year. During this time, studded tires are permitted in any location within the state. Studded snow tires are not considered tire traction devices and may not be used in lieu of chains.

cork doesn't seem like it would last long
Those would be studded tires chains if you're a flatlander :flipoff2:

Which reminds me I need to throw mine on and chew up some ice on my road before this warm front comes through and makes a mess out of my packed ice :shaking:.

we get about the same snow as you, got just over 30" that last storm.
we had about a dozen tree tops break this time
well house 12-29.jpg

I put studded tires on the wife's Tahoe for the winter. they work awesome but only get about 2+ years before the studs start wearing bad or falling out
as mentioned, studs are legal certain times of the year
per Caltrans
Studded snow tires are permitted in California from November 1 until April 30 each year. During this time, studded tires are permitted in any location within the state. Studded snow tires are not considered tire traction devices and may not be used in lieu of chains.

:shaking:

I really like my Hankook at2 extreme.

I had the ATM before and was pleased....siping that cleans out is king.

Got these on a caravan at work
They do pretty good in the snow and wear great
Since this has popped up and my lazy ass forgot to update, the above tires are what I went with.

So far, they are doing reasonably well. If I push them too much, the ass will slide out from under the truck even with fiberglass topper. But they do hook up reasonably well. 2wd up my ~12% concrete driveway when it is an ice sheet is a no go but 4wd hooks up with no problem.

As expected, they don't do well in mud... at all. But I don't do or like mud so nothing is lost.:homer: The price wasn't horrible through Discount/Americas Tire... ~$800. I'll see how well they last but very happy with them so far.

Top Back Refresh