What's new

2022/2023/2024/NOW 2025 KoH; Attending for nOOBs: How/What/Where/Why

I have a pop-up truck camper.

Does the wind in outside of Hammertown something I have to be concerned with?

Meaning; can the wind get so strong that said pop-up truck camper roof be damaged/toppled over?

Meaning; can the wind get so strong that said pop-up truck camper roof be damaged/toppled over?
I'm not sure what it would take to fold over a pop up top but I did have one of my escape hatch latches broke one night, I had to hold the damn thing down with a ratchet strap on the way home.

There have been years when it got pretty bad. One time people's trucks and trailers had their paint damaged from all the debris blowing around so hard. Haven't heard of anyone's popup getting damaged. I'd say 99% of the time out there it's all good, but it's JV, so you never really know.

One year it snowed, one year it turned the whole lakebed into a mud bog, another year it was so hot racecars were vapor locking coming up wrecking ball and we were handing out waters left and right to overheated codrivers. Plan for everything when you go out there.

There have been years when it got pretty bad. One time people's trucks and trailers had their paint damaged from all the debris blowing around so hard. Haven't heard of anyone's popup getting damaged. I'd say 99% of the time out there it's all good, but it's JV, so you never really know.

One year it snowed, one year it turned the whole lakebed into a mud bog, another year it was so hot racecars were vapor locking coming up wrecking ball and we were handing out waters left and right to overheated codrivers. Plan for everything when you go out there.

Ok; I need to plan for that.

Thanks for the replies, guys. :beer:

What I'd highly suggest is being aware of the weather and watching what people do in HT. If all the 18 wheelers are taking their awnings down, probably a bad idea to leave your pop-up up. I remember a few years ago the Toyo truck didn't take down their canopy (and everybody else did) and the wind completely shredded that canopy and structure. Bet the higher ups were pissed, those things are mega money.

Did you go this past year?
No; too parts on the Bronco were either dying/wearing out/or falling off.:laughing::mad3:🙁
I just replaced the heater hoses and had a new radiator installed.

If nothing else takes a dump; next month I'm getting a newer pair of HMMWV tires for the front, and then I think I'll be ready for serious long distance driving.

Last edited:
What I'd highly suggest is being aware of the weather and watching what people do in HT. If all the 18 wheelers are taking their awnings down, probably a bad idea to leave your pop-up up. I remember a few years ago the Toyo truck didn't take down their canopy (and everybody else did) and the wind completely shredded that canopy and structure. Bet the higher ups were pissed, those things are mega money.

Next year I'll find an IRATE4X4 campsite with a tall camper/5th wheel, figure out the prevailing winds, and then try to set my camper up on the leeward side of said tall camper/5th wheel. :grinpimp:

Make sure it's at least 12ft tall!:flipoff2::laughing: :smokin:
Lemme get right on that.:flipoff2: I was only out there for a couple days this year and the wind didn't get bad at all. In fact when I was driving to Hammertown that whole part of Johnson Valley was engulfed in a dust cloud with almost no wind to push it away.

Next year I'm renting an RV out there, fuck that car camping bullshit.:grinpimp:
Had a couple of friends do that, they rented a trailer, dude came out to deliver it, set it up and haul it away when they were done. If I don't have my small tear drop/camper by next year, renting an RV might be the way to go

That was gnarly to say the least. I slept in the top of the semi that year, didn’t sleep a wink. I thought the trailer was gonna blow over. :lmao:

Lemme get right on that.:flipoff2: I was only out there for a couple days this year and the wind didn't get bad at all. In fact when I was driving to Hammertown that whole part of Johnson Valley was engulfed in a dust cloud with almost no wind to push it away.
Wednesday was windy af. After that, like you said, you couldn't see Hammertown from Jack hammer sometimes because of the dust.

D17FA6B0-6BD8-45CC-9A8D-F643B8B6DDCC.jpeg

What dust?

Wednesday was windy af. After that, like you said, you couldn't see Hammertown from Jack hammer sometimes because of the dust.

It was so bad one afternoon I got completely lost heading back to Hammertown from Tack Hammer and didn't realize it until I popped out of the dust by the entry arch :laughing:

Here's my dust picture from the garages inside Hammertown and that wasn't even the worst of it. There were several times throughout the week you couldn't see the qualifying hill in the background at all through the dust :eek:
81CF525C-DCCA-4EDB-B507-3CEC4901FF49.jpeg

With the dust/ people being dickheads around other people's camps/ general KoH fuckery I'd be ok if gas kept the attendance down by a couple thou. Present company excluded, of course.

I think next time an Irate camp in a nice location away from the bullshit of the main lakebed would be sick but we'd have to have a general location picked out ahead of time and coordinate better. There were like 10+ people I knew there this year but I only managed to link up with 84 bronco ii because I had his phone number, and even then, it was spotty.

So that's my addition to the newbie checklist: If you know people are going to be there and you want to try and meet, it's best to do planning and communication ahead of time, because it all flies straight out the window as soon as you get on the lakebed

1) With the dust/ people being dickheads around other people's camps/ general KoH fuckery I'd be ok if gas kept the attendance down by a couple thou. Present company excluded, of course.

2) I think next time an Irate camp in a nice location away from the bullshit of the main lakebed would be sick but we'd have to have a general location picked out ahead of time and coordinate better. There were like 10+ people I knew there this year but I only managed to link up with 84 bronco ii because I had his phone number, and even then, it was spotty.

3) So that's my addition to the newbie checklist: If you know people are going to be there and you want to try and meet, it's best to do planning and communication ahead of time, because it all flies straight out the window as soon as you get on the lakebed
Excellent points indeed.:beer:

1) That very well may happen. I expect gas prices to be higher Jan. '23.

2) I'm thinking something visual that can be seen from most anywhere; be it Hammertown or the public campground.
a) A big mofo banner/flag.
b) A powerful light on said big mofo banner/flag at night.

3) Maybe in Nov/Dec start collecting peeps names/info that are going/most likely going.

Excellent points indeed.:beer:

1) That very well may happen. I expect gas prices to be higher Jan. '23.
Sad but true!
2) I'm thinking something visual that can be seen from most anywhere; be it Hammertown or the public campground.
a) A big mofo banner/flag.
b) A powerful light on said big mofo banner/flag at night.
I think that was the original plan for '22, but that sort of thing kind of falls on Austin. So then when his plans change and he can't make it, we all get hung out to dry, lol. It seemed like pretty much the second he pulled the plug, it was every man for himself.
3) Maybe in Nov/Dec start collecting peeps names/info that are going/most likely going.
100%. All it takes is somebody to post a google pin on the thread with a "I'm going to camp as close to this spot as possible" and then we all have at least an idea of where to go/what to look for.

Top Back Refresh