What's new

2022/2023/2024/NOW 2025 KoH; Attending for nOOBs: How/What/Where/Why

Was hoping to be able to bring a bike out this year but that probably isn't happening. If I can get the travelling flag from Briansc33 before I go I'll fly it off my buddy's Pinzgauer that we'll supposedly be driving around in with no seats singing sea shanties. I'll be on the lookout for a big gay irate camp. maybe i can convince the boys to drop in there and make it a little gayer.
Sent you my number...
I would be there, but got I got burnt out with it a couple years ago.

Last edited:
My plans got hosed just before Christmas, I've got to be in St.Louis for a meeting on the 1st. The wife and I are leaning towards using points to fly into Burbank on the 2nd, renting an RV and heading to the lakebed. Could be there Wednesday evening but would have nothing to drive wound which really sucks. Still working on a plan.

I had planned to be there by Monday and sectioning off an area big enough for IBB people near Hammertown Heights. Unless somebody else wants to do that we may just have to aim for the same area and post up locations.

We were trying to figure out something this weekend and we decided to throw in the towel for this year, my meeting on the 1st fucked us. What sucks most is the wife was pretty excited about going and I wanted to build on that for other events.

She had this made for the irate camp:
18C9E2B8-DE28-4012-B32C-0C5AEF6B36A9.jpeg

I got a SmudgePotDirect for the trip and 55 gallons of oil to keep it lit all week.

It’s a major downer but no excuses for 2023 …. As long as it’s still there

We were trying to figure out something this weekend and we decided to throw in the towel for this year, my meeting on the 1st fucked us. What sucks most is the wife was pretty excited about going and I wanted to build on that for other events.

I got a SmudgePotDirect for the trip and 55 gallons of oil to keep it lit all week.

Much SucKoK

Man that brings the suck
sucks.gif

I've never actually camped at the Hammers, I had a buddy who used to live nearby so we'd go out for the day and drive back to his place to sleep. Any recommendations on the best places to camp? The course is going through Turkey Claw this year, so that may affect camping options.

I was also looking at some 14 day forecasts, and the weather guessers are predicting some brutal cold mid to late week :frown: I hope they're wrong since the weather has been sunny with highs in the mid-60s and lows around 40°F consistently the last few weeks.

I've never actually camped at the Hammers, I had a buddy who used to live nearby so we'd go out for the day and drive back to his place to sleep. Any recommendations on the best places to camp? The course is going through Turkey Claw this year, so that may affect camping options.

I was also looking at some 14 day forecasts, and the weather guessers are predicting some brutal cold mid to late week :frown: I hope they're wrong since the weather has been sunny with highs in the mid-60s and lows around 40°F consistently the last few weeks.

You already answered your own question. :beer:

Found the weather stuff. The weather report for Landers doesn't look too bad for the next couple of weeks: highs in the mid 60's and lows at lows 40's, which isn't too bad. Better than a couple of years ago when there were lows of 22 degrees and highs of 40 with wind. that really sucked

Define “brutal cold” I’m coming from OH and we’re in single digits currently.

You already answered your own question. :beer:

I just said it was a free-for-all and that you can't camp inside Hammertown :flipoff2:

I was more looking for suggestions for choice camping areas that might be more out of the wind, away from heavy traffic areas, good views, easy access for trucks pulling a trailer, etc. I have read a few references to "Hammertown Heights," but I am not sure where that actually is. I assume going up a hillside from Hammertown :homer:

Also, there was all this talk about an Irate4x4 compound, but Austin has bailed and there hasn't been any discussion of where it would be located :rasta:

Define “brutal cold” I’m coming from OH and we’re in single digits currently.

Brutal cold by low elevation desert standards :flipoff2:

Here was one of the forecasts I was looking at yesterday:

BFBB4522-B975-47C7-B1D9-2E5D600CD140.png

The 10 day on my phone still looks promising, but it isn't forecasting out past Monday which the other forecasts still had good weather for.

053EA478-6EE9-4A14-A508-8C0E24C256A2.png

the group I'll be with will be near the Stonehedge area that I think is near Hector Heights. If you see a black JK with the Irate flag and a bunch of KOH stickers on the side, that'll be me

What's the food truck situation like this year? Any good recommendations?
I was out there on Saturday and the food truck situation was OK in Hammertown. You had 3 or 4 of the typical fair/car show/event type with a million different signs plastered on them. There were about 3 taco stands. A tent with different meats, a mini donut cart and an ice cream cart. Also a coffee stand that was the only thing open early. The meat place had breakfast burritos and opened around 10. One of the taco tents may have been open, or they were just cooking, didn't check. The other stuff didn't seem to open till lunch time. If you are an early riser, bring your own breakfast.

I'm in this. I'll put my big irate sticker on the back. Mostly stock blue CJ7 with a sketchy 4x4 sticker on the side. If there's service, I'll post my coordinates when I get to a spot. Eta to gate 45 min. And yes I jumped out at a light to snap a pic.:homer:
20220202_102910.jpg

Top Back Refresh