What's new

2018 Can Am X3

OutlawRider

Gum Gardener
Member Number
Loc
Arkansas
crispins because I know you work on SXS a lot.

I will have to pull the codes later. Was out just driving around in my SXS. I did buy it used but have put ~1000 miles on it. Never a problem. I did wreck it and rebuild the front end after a roll over. New radiator and stuff. Never had come close to overheating even sitting still idling for long periods. No idea on previous owners.

Was driving today, nothing hard or fast. Just cruising. Was doing maybe 30-35 mph and it just went into limp mode and acted like a misfire. Had some coolant leaking out around the reservoir somewhere. Not a ton, but enough to make it to the ground.

Seems like a head gasket. But starts no problem still. Just runs funny. I will get the codes later when I get back to it. All stock to my knowledge.

crispins because I know you work on SXS a lot.

I will have to pull the codes later. Was out just driving around in my SXS. I did buy it used but have put ~1000 miles on it. Never a problem. I did wreck it and rebuild the front end after a roll over. New radiator and stuff. Never had come close to overheating even sitting still idling for long periods. No idea on previous owners.

Was driving today, nothing hard or fast. Just cruising. Was doing maybe 30-35 mph and it just went into limp mode and acted like a misfire. Had some coolant leaking out around the reservoir somewhere. Not a ton, but enough to make it to the ground.

Seems like a head gasket. But starts no problem still. Just runs funny. I will get the codes later when I get back to it. All stock to my knowledge.
get codes

How low was the coolant?

Did it go out of limp mode once it cooled down?

my current guess, low on coolant, air in the system, steam hit temp sensor, put it into limp for over temp event

I have a 22 doing the same now as it has a small leak somewhere I have not been able to find. I just ordered a pressure tester to help find it.

I haven’t really tried starting it since. Went out cutting hay for the rest of the evening.

Not low as far as I know. Except now I guess but haven’t checked the level. Even when I had the engine in run but not running, the temp never got over half way.

I’ll get codes and report back

If the leak is anywhere near the belt, any moisture on the belt can cause weird Shit. Buddy fought that at KOH a couple years ago. Last time mine had limp mode issues, the belt was on its last leg and missing multiple teeth when I pulled it to replace.

I checked the belt not too long ago. One of those forever belt things. It was in great shape. I Can check again. But it noticeably runs rough. Especially at idle. And definitely pushes antifreeze out from the black tube on top of the reservoir. There is no clamp on it and looks to be the return. No fluid coming out of the overflow tube. Still warming up and starting like normal. No active codes. It did initially start and have a CEL light but that went away and hasn’t come back. So I couldn’t read the code. Haven’t driven it, just ran it sitting there. No milkshake in the oil.

I have 2 of the 2018 units but they are just for decoration as I do not run them as they are so fucking loud.

What engine are we talking about here? My 2018's are 900 cc non turbos.

Prior to this last ride unit ran well?

Running like shit and pushing coolant out sounds real bad.

I have a Maverick Sport that just broke the driveshaft to the water pump, it starts up (smoothly) and then starts to push coolant out the overflow on the coolant tank within about a min or so.

2018 X3 Turbo I believe 1000cc but May be 900 (I forget) Rotax engine. Was running great. Just driving down the road and boom. Went straight into limp mode.

Fresh oil change. Radiator is warm to touch as it heats up so fluid is flowing.

I am going to pressure test and/or compression test (I can’t remember if I have a pressure tester or not). That should tell me if I have a bad cylinder.

The real thing that bothers me is why did it let go. And just all of a sudden. I have never overheated it or gotten close. Maybe a previous owner did? It seems to be a well kept machine. But looks can always be deceiving. Maybe a blocked passage but all the coolant looks clean.

2018 X3 Turbo I believe 1000cc but May be 900 (I forget) Rotax engine. Was running great. Just driving down the road and boom. Went straight into limp mode.

Fresh oil change. Radiator is warm to touch as it heats up so fluid is flowing.

I am going to pressure test and/or compression test (I can’t remember if I have a pressure tester or not). That should tell me if I have a bad cylinder.

The real thing that bothers me is why did it let go. And just all of a sudden. I have never overheated it or gotten close. Maybe a previous owner did? It seems to be a well kept machine. But looks can always be deceiving. Maybe a blocked passage but all the coolant looks clean.

how many hours/ miles on it? is it running a tuner?

i know around 2-3k mi all of ours needed spark plugs. my machine is close to 3k mi on it now and i still haven't replaced mine but know its coming. i'd be surprised if it where something bad with the motor, i have yet to hear of a motor haveing real problems before 10k mi.

mine and the x3's i ride with all have 3-5k mi on them. we all run tunes that claim 200-210 hp the only codes anyof us have got are from belt slipping, overboost, or spark plugs. they are all very hard miles, mostly sand dunes and fast desert riding.

last thing- i've only ever ran a 'lifetime' belt once. must be a harder rubber or something had allot of limp mode from belt slip with it. i went back to stock belt. if they make it to 6-800mi i replace it.

It only has 2k miles on it. No tuner as of now, can’t speak for the past. It does have a few mods but nothing serious. I think some of the mikes were tough but mine have all been decently easy. I have not put spark plugs on it but will check them.

It does run 35s with beadlocks. Power steering hates me but that is about it.

Some great info on this post!! Hope the problem gets resolved for you. Sounds like you need to try a new belt and or plugs to start.

I will keep it updated. I just have not had any chance to work on it today at all. It may be the weekend before I can.

crispins

Here is my update now that I have had some time. Pulled all the plugs. Compression test. All 150 psi exactly. Will admit, that was on a cold engine. Put a leak down tester in. Put ~70psi in the cylinder. Had zero bubbles come from the overflow tank. I did not do it correctly by finding TDC for each cylinder but made sure it wasn’t leaking out of the exhaust and heard bubbling out from the oil dipstick tube so I know if it was going to bubble there, it should bubble out of the head gasket if it was failing.

Started the machine and ran it. Ran rough until it warmed up and through into limp mode even at idle. Code P3020 which is cylinder 2 misfire. (I will admit the muffler is still off because I wanted easy access.) I have not swapped coil packs around yet. If I lay on the throttle, it is sluggish to rev up and then after 4K ish RPMs the misfire goes away and engine runs right. I’m wondering coil, fuel pump, water in fuel?

Doesn’t explain the extra pressure in the overflow. I did break off that notorious nipple today so will order a new tank. Maybe it just was leaking from that nipple because it was cracked and not extra pressure?

Updates?

ADHD has me considering a used x3 in the future, along with several other golf carts I like...:usa:

I took it in. Basically when I rolled it, I guess it fouled the plugs bad enough it was being temperamental. I should have thrown plugs at it but they didn’t look bad. I just didn’t have time to fuss with it. I’ll see when I get it back.

Updates?

ADHD has me considering a used x3 in the future, along with several other golf carts I like...:usa:
This one is great for trails. I use it to work a lot but it is definitely not built for that. I really don’t have any pictures of it except for torn apart rebuilding it.

69793247623__E90B56FB-A83E-4E73-AF05-B2159E0F81A5.jpeg

^^^^^ Trails in Northern Michigan would be my primary use. It is so hard to decide when you read so many pros and cons about each one available. I really like the krx, but am not sure how I would like the power level. I am trying to wait for my buddy to make a decision what he is getting. We ride sleds together and I am pretty sure I would regret having a slower cart than him.

^^^^^ Trails in Northern Michigan would be my primary use. It is so hard to decide when you read so many pros and cons about each one available. I really like the krx, but am not sure how I would like the power level. I am trying to wait for my buddy to make a decision what he is getting. We ride sleds together and I am pretty sure I would regret having a slower cart than him.

I got you covered...be faster than your buddy!

IMG_5133.jpeg

Top Back Refresh