What's new

2015 Ram 2500 Cummins CEL issue

Wades_76_cj7

RZR guy, NO I am not gay..
Member Number
Loc
KC MO
Last weekend I took my dad to go look at a small teardrop camper he wanted to buy. It was about 40 degrees and raining pretty steady all day. Pulling onto I-70 it kinda stuttered and the CEL comes on. Seemed to be running fine but I could hear the RPMs change a little cruising down the highway, (50-100rpm) but the tach read steady. RPM fluttered the whole drive (3 hours) but truck seemed to be running fine otherwise. Get to our destination, buy the camper and coming home it seemed to be doing ok but CEL is still on. I started to think it was hydroplaning that was causing the rpm flutter sound. Shut the truck down at bathroom stops and it restarted no problem just a CEL. Got home with it and left it sit til Monday when I got home from work. I tried the turning on the key but not starting 3 times to pull the codes but it showed nothing on the dash except the CEL. I have a cheap scanner from Amazon so I plugged it in and it pulled several codes from is P229 was one I can remember. All were related to the SCR and emissions stuff. The truck has 94k on it and bone stock. The cat was replaced under warranty at 78k last spring. I cleared the codes and went inside to look them up and eat supper. Fast forward a few days to Thursday and I decide to drive the truck to work and it wont start. Cranks over just like normal, sounds like it hits off once and continues to crank. It will continue like that until I stop it from cranking. It never will start but is now showing a Service Electronic Throttle Control on the dash readout.

Has anyone else ran into this issue? My Google fu is saying is could be a loose connection, weak batteries, chafed wife on the harness, loose plug, dirty throttle control. I don't think it's the batteries, they seem to be pretty strong and it cranks over just as fast as it always had in the 3 years I have owned the truck. I haven't had a chance to really dive into this since it won't fit in my garage, it's pretty damn cold outside right now and it won't start so I can't move it to a buddy's to work on it in his shop.

I have been kicking around the idea of deleting the truck but when I have issues like that that are above me to fix I am nervous about taking it somewhere to be worked on with it deleted. I am in MO and we do have inspections but no smog checks here.

Crank sensor.

At least on my truck it was the crank sensor. It would start bucking at random like you described but ran fine otherwise. My MiniMaxx pulled the crank sensor code.

Now my BILs 4500 was different. It began taking long cranks to start, then would only start with starting fluid or a pull start (manual trans). No codes came up on his edge insight or on a snap on scanner. His mechanic buddy called at random one day and said to swap the crank sensor as he just had the same problem on another truck. We swapped the crank sensor the problem was fixed.

My sensor was $40ish at o'reilly's.

Crank sensor.

At least on my truck it was the crank sensor. It would start bucking at random like you described but ran fine otherwise. My MiniMaxx pulled the crank sensor code.

Now my BILs 4500 was different. It began taking long cranks to start, then would only start with starting fluid or a pull start (manual trans). No codes came up on his edge insight or on a snap on scanner. His mechanic buddy called at random one day and said to swap the crank sensor as he just had the same problem on another truck. We swapped the crank sensor the problem was fixed.

My sensor was $40ish at o'reilly's.

Hopefully that fixes my issue. I'll stop on the way home and pick one up.

This the part you are referring to?

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...2500?q=crankshaft+position/angle+sensor&pos=0

Benny, you were right. I changed the CPS and it fired right up. The old one looked like the tone ring had gotten into it for some reason. I put the new one in and it had roughly .060" clearance. I started it up and watched it to make sure the tone ring or balancer wasn't loose. It seemed to be running straight and true so I dunno WTF was going on there.

Top Back Refresh