What's new

2011 Jeep Wrangler JKU 3.8 RLE450

71PA_Highboy

An Unknown but Engorged Member
Member Number
Loc
Near the Triad, Lookin' at the freeway
OK... Posting for a friend.

Sounds like his engine is toast. To hear him tell it he was driving home and noticed a lack of power, then on Friday it sounds like he has a piston hitting a valve, or some other kind of mechanical interference.

Overall it is in what I consider good condition, well maintained. Driven offroad carefully, but not abused.

I don't know shit about jeeps other than I don't own one.

So, what is this thing worth with a bad motor?

What is it worth with a replacement motor? Is there something I should be looking for specifically in a replacement motor or something to avoid (examples: 2010 have bad valve guides, 2012 had a bad timing chain, etc).

He is in a bit of a bind (family medical issues) so trying to help him out and figured I would ask here first.

Pics to follow.

I can swap the motor.. the mechanicals are not an issue...

These engines are prone to rocker arm failures. Not too expensive to repair parts-wise but might be a bit of a PITA to do the work.

Edit: the center pin wears out.

1686593257582.png

Random U-Tube on the issue:

Last edited:
These engines are prone to rocker arm failures. Not too expensive to repair parts-wise but might be a bit of a PITA to do the work.

Edit: the center pin wears out.

1686593257582.png

Random U-Tube on the issue:

2011 Jeep JK/JKU's used the 3.8L engine, not the 3.6L. So for this, it's not the issue.

It's not common, but it could be a spun bearing 3.8L engines for 2007 to 20011 Jeep JK/JKU due to the design of the connecting rod. Another possibility is the exhaust gasket leaking, or more often the exhaust manifold is cracked. The last thing I can think of is a lifter. These are easily diagnosed using an automotive stethoscope, or a long piece of fuel/oil tubing.

As for the price of the vehicle, I can only suggest using KBB, Nada, or the like. As I don't believe the engine needs to be replaced, those sites should be a good reference.

Good luck and hope this helps... :beer:

I bought an 08 JKU and had a rod go through the block 62 miles on the trip home. When are dropped the pan mo rod or piston in the cyl. I did have about 2 pounds of shrapnel in the pan.

I'm putting a rebuilt long block in it right now.

Knowing what I know now I'd put a junkyard LS in it. There is a stand alone LS computer that hooks up with the JK computer. Be a nice little rig then.

Top Back Refresh