What's new

2008 F650 Cummins injectors

Projectjunkie

Whatever
Member Number
Loc
Tucson Az
This happened pretty fast, I need some opinions.

On a smash and grab to buy a tow truck 900 miles from home, I found another a block away for a song :laughing:

It was parked 3 years ago for "bad injectors"

Swapping batteries around and a wiff of ether got it started. It sounds a lot like a fuel knock, and black smokes like a freight train just driving 5 feet up a steep driveway.

Does this sound like injectors?

it has a big red Cummins in it, I'm assuming it's the 6.7, but did not verify.

I haven't worked on one of these, considering driving back in and swapping injectors and changing oil and bringing my DD home on the back.

What diag steps am I missing?

What else should I be looking at?

Recommended brand or supplier?

What specialty tools, and extra parts should I bring?

280k miles, no check engine light

Or, who has a 32' low deck trailer and wants to make some money?

Hopefully the failed injector didn't destroy a cylinder. You might want to look inside with a bore scope after you pull the injectors. You can use an IR thermometer to see which injector is bad but letting it run could be causing cylinder damage.

I was going to say don't drive it either.

Obviously check for blow by.

Those MDT engines were similar but kinda not to the light truck engines. I know they used something like a 24v for quite a while in the bigger trucks.

Good info.
I'm leaning towards getting it hauled.
I'll be able to diag it properly at home
I'll do some more research and locate parts via vin #

Thanks

You want Cummins info? Post up the ESN. I think Ford is going to be mostly useless in this application, but I can pull that as well with the vin.

I was going to say don't drive it either.

Obviously check for blow by.

Those MDT engines were similar but kinda not to the light truck engines. I know they used something like a 24v for quite a while in the bigger trucks.

And Yota82 is correct, the MDT engines/ industrial have some differences, mostly on the programming side, as well as the CP3 location.

You want Cummins info? Post up the ESN. I think Ford is going to be mostly useless in this application, but I can pull that as well with the vin.

I know I should have snapped pics of the engine label, but we were in a thrash to get rolling, I did get the door sticker with vin

photo50831.jpg

photo50595.jpg

Not many parts will interchange with the Dodge engine including the block. My engine ran smooth but had no power. The VGT actuator was bad so I replaced it and it didn't fix the low power issue. It ended up being a weak CP3 not putting out enough rail pressure. It wasn't setting a code for low rail pressure either.

I haven't done it for a cr Cummins, but my preferred powerstroke diagnostic tool is a cheap Bluetooth obd2 adapter and torque pro on your phone. Set up a custom display with stuff like hpop, fuel pressure, coolant and oil Temps, etc, and you can figure just about anything out.

Next time you get out there bring one and you should be able to monitor rail pressure, along with a lot of other things.

There are great OBDII bluetooth options like J-Scan that I am using for the JKU that I am building that let you connect to all the modules and make changes. I haven't found good options for the J1939 Protocol that MD and HD trucks use. I didn't look at tools that only let you monitor conditions and clear codes. Non-pirated scan tools and software are expensive. An Chinese knockoff scan tool will work but you can't update them and you still need software for them to work. Some of the scanners include pirated software. Pirated versions of software could have viruses and trojans included so it needs to be on a laptop that never had or will have any personal information on it. HOBDII sells a lot of different tools: https://www.hobdii.com/

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh