What's new

2006 Jeep Liberty - No start issue

Gtrplyr78

Nuttin’
Member Number
Loc
West Jordan, UT
This is my mothers daily - she has had it for the past 7 years - wish it was something mechanical as I am not well versed in electronics/ CAN bus matters,

Vehicle: 2006 Jeep Liberty Limited (3.7 V6 4WD)

MIleage: 110k

What happens is following: Key in - ignition ON - nothing happens - engine not cranking.

With the key in the ignition I see all the dummy lights save for Check Engine light.

Security light is ON - constant.

Since it has remote control, I am able to lock/unlock all doors with no issues - this kind of eliminates the issue with WIreless Module (at least I hope so).

What I have done thus far:

Checked battery, fuses, relays - removed panels around steering wheel and checked ignition switch wires (the ones that should have power to them check out), checked ignition actuator (in our case it is not broken and it moves as designed with key in the ignition lock).

Scanned for DTC codes using SnapOn Modis a friend let me borrow - no codes found, performed Self Test - everything checked out.

Removed the Start Relay from the fuse/relay box under the hood (identify the female pins 30 and 87 inside the empty socket) - using jumper wire I can get it to crank but it will not start/turn over. This does verify that starter is working as intended.

Tried this as well: If the SKREEM RED LED is constantly ON you can try removing the ASD relay and jumper female pins 30 and 87 together semi-permanently and see if the engine fires and runs. This points to a failed ASD relay or a wiring problem. In our case running jumper wire didn’t do anything.

I have also tested for spark, removed coil and used inline tester - no spark.

Same behavior occurs whether I try to start the Jeep in Park or Neutral.

The kicker is following: if I ground pin #38 on the C3 connector (Power Control Module) - I am able to turn the key to Ignition On - now it is cranking but not starting. This is the one giving me pause about defective ignition switch as it shouldn’t work regardless and now it does.

This is basically verifying the integrity of wiring between PCM and starter relay.

At present time I am left with following: the anti theft system (SKREEM) issue, or for the second cause I did read somewhere that Cam/Crank position sensor can cause no start/similar symptoms - as ECM may be missing power or a ground preventing it to power up.

Any and all input is appreciated, I am at the point of sending it to a dealer, of course being a 2006 most of the techs there will likely be just as stumped.

Security light is ON - constant.
From my understanding, the security light shouldn't stay on. You may have a problem with the key or security module which would prevent the vehicle from starting, so try with a different key if you have one.

Since it has remote control, I am able to lock/unlock all doors with no issues - this kind of eliminates the issue with WIreless Module (at least I hope so)
Having remote lock/unlock does not eliminate the security module. Remote lock/unlock does not mean you necessarily have a factory alarm.

Hope this helps... ;)

Your friend's Snap On scanner should be able to see if the theft alarm is activated. Normally the engine would crank but not start if it's a SKIM key issue. Might have codes in the wireless control module for issues with the key.

Top Back Refresh