What's new

2005 ranger tumbler and door lock replace questions

Sluggy

Drives by braille
Member Number
Loc
Bay Area
So some scumbag tried to steal my mf'n ford ranger the other night and broke the column lock (busted with random shit stuffed in it) and bent the driver door lock/ busted that to get in.

Question is, what's the best way to remove the tumbler? Drill it out? Slide hammer? Is there some special way/sequence to pull em out?

Bummer is, I bought the truck new in 05 and never had a problem with it.

Think ford would be the best place to get decent replacement set of keys/ locks that match? I don't want to install Chinese junk or a chip key.

I'll get some pics up later today.

Thanks in advance,
Jimbo

Drill until it can be turned or until the pin that holds it in the column can be poked in, they're a really un-fancy lock so you can just drill down the center of the key slot until it falls apart. I buy the lock cylinders from Ford disassembled and key them to the existing keys if they are in decent shape. Really only replace keys if they're worn out and too shitty to build a good lock off of.

If it's fucked up enough to turn you can just flip it to run and remove it. I have done it a few times on theft recoveries by hammering a screwdriver in (like a proper car theif) but you run the risk of damaging other parts of the column if you get too rowdy.

I'm having AAA tow it to my shop tomorrow morning and I'll assess it from there.

20240324_092614.jpg
20240324_092551.jpg
20240324_092440.jpg
20240324_092435.jpg

I'm guessing my only chance is drilling

That sucks.

The door locks come out easily enough, just that clip that pokes thru the side of the door above the latch. Then you can pull the lock, rotating it to slip off the rod. If you know what youre doing you can remove them without removing the door panel, altho youll almost certainly have to remove the door panel to put the lock back in.

The column lock, if you can turn it to Run theres a spring loaded ball you can push in to release the lock cylinder, then it should pull out of the column. Its worth trying before you have to bust out the drill.

Top Back Refresh