What's new

2003 E350 van.....spark plug issues?

dntsdad

Central California
Member Number
Loc
Central California
So I have a 2003 E350 with a 5.4. Never had a Ford before so I didn't know anything about the damn things shitting plugs out of the head.

Googling I get mixed info on whether this year has that issue or not

If so, anything that I can do, or not do, to have this happen?

So I have a 2003 E350 with a 5.4. Never had a Ford before so I didn't know anything about the damn things shitting plugs out of the head.

When you change the spark plugs, install them dry and clean with no antiseize, etc. Then torque to spec. If you want to be extra safe, run it for a bit, let it cool and check torque.

Keep a spare coil in the glove box.

Check or replace the tension & idler pulleys.

There’s a evap line that likes to crumble.

There’s a vacuum cap that likes to pop off if you short crank it and it rolls back on compression.

Put a heat shield under the driver footwell going up the side of doghouse

I've fixed 100's of these stripped plugs on Fords and many other engines, ONLY use the cal-van tool kit on the Ford or if you don't order a set of heads so you have them on hand because you will need them.

You have nothing to worry about just drive it

Keep a spare coil in the glove box. Already have one ready.

Check or replace the tension & idler pulleys. Just did when I changed all the AC components

There’s a evap line that likes to crumble. Which one and where

There’s a vacuum cap that likes to pop off if you short crank it and it rolls back on compression. Which one and where

Put a heat shield under the driver footwell going up the side of doghouse. Lined the motor side with heat barrier and deadener and then Dynamat hood wrap

THANKS!!!!

Thanks everyone. I will drive it and hope for the best.

I probably will change them out soon since I have no idea if they have ever been done.

I may buy a repair kit to have since this will be an adventure vehicle and my luck is I am in the middle of nowhere of something were to go bad.......... in the rain.......... with monsters.

Don’t be a solution looking for a problem , drive it . I mean it , don’t fix it if it isn’t broke .

THANKS!!!!
the vacuum line going around the back of the engine tied to the evap system it’s a half inch diameter hose. You probably would’ve found it by now if it was a problem. the vacuum cap is also on the passenger side of the intake.

IMG_4164.jpeg IMG_4165.jpeg

Last edited:
Coils are tricky. Look at fordtechmakuloco's video on id'ing ford coils and not repops.

Id be more worried about the cam sprocket whatchamacallit personally.

Top Back Refresh