What's new

20 Ribeyes for $40 - what’s the scam?

XtremeJ

Wanker
Member Number
Loc
Redstone Canyon, Masonville, Colorado, USA
See the iBuds thread on how to get scammed.

And driving home yesterday there is an ad on the radio :lmao:

20 Ribeyes for $40. See the truck in the TSC parking lot. :lmao::lmao:

Wife turns to me and says what is the scam?

I suspect
  • 20 minuscule ribeyes in some giant box probably at higher $$ per pound than you would pay at the store for similar or worse quality
  • some up sell to buy a bigger package
  • up sell to a meat subscription
Or
  • are they going to make me sit through a timeshare presentation first before I can buy actual decent value ribeyes
  • am I buying a box with a couple bricks in it from the men in the white truck?
  • do they also sell some sweet speakers too?
  • elaborate scam to get my credit card details to resell on the dark web?

Where is the scam?

Full disclosure - we buy our meat direct from a local rancher. Used to get a half but he now slaughters so often we just keep a running list of cuts with him, and he delivers to the clinic when he comes in. But wife also makes biltong and so is also always looking for good value on those cuts she needs. Biltong (for the clueless heathens) is a better tastier and healthier version of jerky.

See the iBuds thread on how to get scammed.

And driving home yesterday there is an ad on the radio :lmao:

20 Ribeyes for $40. See the truck in the TSC parking lot. :lmao::lmao:

Wife turns to me and says what is the scam?

I suspect
  • 20 minuscule ribeyes in some giant box probably at higher $$ per pound than you would pay at the store for similar or worse quality
  • some up sell to buy a bigger package
  • up sell to a meat subscription
Or
  • are they going to make me sit through a timeshare presentation first before I can buy actual decent value ribeyes
  • am I buying a box with a couple bricks in it from the men in the white truck?
  • do they also sell some sweet speakers too?
  • elaborate scam to get my credit card details to resell on the dark web?

Where is the scam?

Full disclosure - we buy our meat direct from a local rancher. Used to get a half but he now slaughters so often we just keep a running list of cuts with him, and he delivers to the clinic when he comes in. But wife also makes biltong and so is also always looking for good value on those cuts she needs. Biltong (for the clueless heathens) is a better tastier and healthier version of jerky.
Last dude I know did this, and it was legit, except the ribeyes were under 4oz :lmao:

EDIT: Your first assumption is correct. Doesn't mean you won't get time-shared as well.

I was actually at that TSC yesterday and thought who in their right mind would want to buy that shit meat. I remember 15 or so yrs ago I bought something like this and grilled it up and thought this must be what shoe leather tastes like. I threw it in the trash. Its not a scam as you get the meat. But like someone else said they are about as thinly sliced from the anus of a steer to make it look like a good deal.

They have been running the same ads on the local radio here and I wondered what the scam was as well. I always assume the meat was freezer burned or was expired or horse meat? lol

1. It below choice, canner and cutter grade.

2. It's cut thin

3. It's injected with water and salt to pump up weight

It's not a deal and the meat like substance was destined for Hormel chili before being side tracked to TSC

It’s legit, they are just severely under sized cuts and not great quality. I got called out to fix a roll up door one of these types had. They tipped me with a combo pack. If it wasn’t free I’d have given it to my dogs. I get better cuts from any grocery store.

c84b3d942aca6bc6d91f2f%2Fkroger-ribeye-vs-2-ribeye.jpg

They are always out when I stop buy, but they have the $200-$600 packages left.

They are always out when I stop buy, but they have the $200-$600 packages left.

$600 worth of an old canner must be a whole cow. :laughing:

When I was young and cut meat, those old canners ( ie mostly old milk cows) were nasty. I could wrap one of those ribeyes around my wrist. :barf:

$600 worth of an old canner must be a whole cow. :laughing:

When I was young and cut meat, those old canners ( ie mostly old milk cows) were nasty. I could wrap one of those ribeyes around my wrist. :barf:
Probably was, I certainly am not going to risk that much money on an unknown. Plenty of local butchers will do better than that.

It was a package, I have no idea what was all in it, but there was pork and chicken as well.

Wife and I thought it would be a good deal if we were doing a family reunion or something. Take out the good stuff and feed the rest to the guests. LOL

Someone buy a truck, throw some real meat on it and offer it more expensive. Write „actual meat from rancher joe“ on it and have an arrow.

Park in the same lot close to the ad paying, clueless marketing dept meat truck.

It would take a while to eat 300 ribeyes. :flipoff2:
You would think so, Kids find out I am grilling steaks and they all show up.

Wife and I sit down after everyone is gone and realize it would have been cheaper to take them all out to Texas Roadhouse. LOL

But then you need Friends and family or people that actually like you to have that problem so you're safe. :flipoff2:

Haven’t read the replies yet, but my guess is you’re getting $40 worth of ribeyes for $40. There just happens to be 20 of them.

Top Back Refresh