What's new

2 way radio with headsets

Wades_76_cj7

RZR guy, NO I am not gay..
Member Number
Loc
KC MO
I have been looking hard at the intercom system in my RZR. I have a SSV Works stereo in it currently and it does ok but kind of hard to hear without letting the entire county hear your tunes when running at 15+ mph. I talked to Brad Blair at SXSradios.com about switching to this unit. I already have a TYT-8600 2way that I can tie into it. From talking to Brad you can talk in car without pushing any buttons. If you want to talk outside the car/over the 2 way you hit the PPT button. I stream my Pandora thru my phone to the stereo so I would just stream the music thru the headsets instead.

Anyone else run headsets in their SXS and regret it?

Not having VOX adjustment might get annoying. Wind noise comes up fast and triggers the mics on my stuff.

I love headsets. Way quieter and better music compared to even full face pumper helmets.

In-car is VOX or Voice Activated
Car-to-Car is via the PTTs. If in a useful location, on the unit seems nice.

Not having VOX adjustment might get annoying. Wind noise comes up fast and triggers the mics on my stuff.

I love headsets. Way quieter and better music compared to even full face pumper helmets.

In-car is VOX or Voice Activated
Car-to-Car is via the PTTs. If in a useful location, on the unit seems nice.
good advice. Not having any experience with the VOX mics I had not considered wind noise tripping the mics..

would this set up be better?

Vox sucks in general. I'd rather have a PTT for in car and one for radio. My day job is 2 way radio service and the only thing I know of like that is a Firecom system and it's way too expensive.

I have a Rugged system in my YXZ with vox. It is difficult to get the vox adjusted perfectly. Even when the mic activates due to background noise, it is still better than listening to it without the headphones.
The closer you keep the mic to your mouth, the better the vox works.

I had a rugged 696 intercom setup in my Polaris General xp. It took quite a bit of fucking around but once I get it tuned in I really appreciated it. I’ll be putting another intercom in the next UTV I get for sure

VOX with full face helmets is awesome. only thing that sucks is when the other person coughs

We got a Cardo Edge pair and full face helmets for Father's day. It can work with other systems for DMC (digital mesh com?).
We can also bluetooth our phones to each unit. It will also allow music sharing and even has an FM tuner.
At first we were unsure about helmets, we thought headsets would have better airflow. Now we're looking for better goggles. Not having bugs and other crap hitting us in the face & wind/engine noise in our ears has been great.
I am also looking at options to connect to a 2-way radio since that would give us more options for comms between vehicles.
The VOX works pretty good. An occasion loud noise, like something banging on the car will trip it. It just lowers the music volume for a second or two.
They can do many different things, like private comms, voice commands and so many other I would need a manual to walk me through them on the go.
They are pretty small and waterproof. Adhesive velcro pads for the speakers and mic. The kit also includes a boom mic for an open face helmet. I was considering ordering either a second helmet kit (dock,1 speakers and mic) or a dock and earbuds to use with a heaset. Really dont see the need. The unit easily unclips, but can be sharged while mounted.
20230630_123225.jpg
20230630_123228.jpg
20230630_123244.jpg
20230630_123302.jpg

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh