What's new

1998 Intrepid trans cooler

Mikel

Member Number
Loc
Conn
I'm working on a friend's 98 Intrepid, with the 2.7. Besides the radiator transmission cooler, it has an external one. The external one has begun leaking and a replacement is pricey. Do these things need both transmission coolers, or can I just bypass the external one? Thank you

I'm working on a friend's 98 Intrepid, with the 2.7. Besides the radiator transmission cooler, it has an external one. The external one has begun leaking and a replacement is pricey. Do these things need both transmission coolers, or can I just bypass the external one? Thank you

do you think chrysler would have spent a single cent more than needed to install that one if the radiator one was sufficient?

hack the lines, barbed fitting it up and use a generic one.

Thanks guys. I really hated to spend money or time on that car. Generic cooler it is.

just use the cooler in the rad
dump in synthetic fluid to replace the... all of it that fell out so it'll tolerate the higher temperatures better
it'll need a trans soon anyways because it's a dodge, never mind that it prob got ran dry until it stopped moving

Use the external cooler. Overheating is the #1 killer of automatic transmissions and those aren't all that robust to begin with.

I worked on my brother's Intrepid once. All new struts, engine just up and locked up next day no knock or anything. Quit and wouldn't start. We were so pissed off at it down the road it went for less than what we paid for the struts. :homer:

And that was ~2006. That car in Michigan at the time was about junk as it was.

Then that year we found a 2005 Impala with 100k miles for $5,000. That car finally met the junk man last summer with 250,000 miles.

I'm amazed to see no salt states keep so many older cars on the road. I'm a little salty about it.

Last edited:
Just loop the lines and ride it until it blows up. Or smother the leak with RTV. It's 15 years past it's expiration date anyway.

[486 said:
;n319473]

iirc he's in ct

Yes, the land of rust-free 90s vehicles 😂
Surprisingly, this is one is not terrible.

I'm amazed to see no salt states keep so many older cars on the road. I'm a little salty about it.
It's been years since I remember seeing a 90s dodge car, or a 2005 impala. They dont rust here, but that doesnt make them any less of rolling piles of shit. :laughing:

When you do see those cars its almost always some retiree's car that bought it new in '98.

Put that shit in a museum, I haven't seen an Intrepid on the road in 15 years.

we have one that comes in very often
That fucking thing will never die, she's put at least 40k into fixing it.
I think we've depleted car-part's supply of those shitty chrysler thick-chrome plated wheels. They take really crappy AL castings, then plate them in copper, then nickel
The first scratch they get exposes the copper and aluminum and then corrosion takes off like mad, pretty soon they're leaking from the beads bad enough you can hear it standing 10' away.
No way we can put any wheel on it but the exact ones it came with.

Anything that has the battery in the wheelwell needs to be crushed.

Top Back Refresh