What's new

1995 Ford F-150 5.8 4x4 NO START HELP

TTMotorsports

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Lucerne Valley, CA
Ok so no start issue. 95 f150 5.8 4x4 with 71k miles. Was running then sputtered and died. No restart when cranking. Checked fuel pressure and it was like 10psi. So I removed bed rear tank was brimm full so bad pump so went and changed BOTH fuel pumps. Now I got 40 psi on both tanks when cranking but it still won't start. Starts and sputters with starting fluid but doesn't stay continue running. Checked distributor wiring and all gold. Injector pulse is good. So I'm at a loss. I have spark and I sector pulse with fuel pressure so I would assume it would start and run but it's not. What should I check now? I have a small junkyard with multiple trucks in it so I can remove and swap parts from them if needed.

I have changed both fuel pumps, brand new gas and fuel filter. Good steady flash from noid light at driver side injectors I can reach plug easily. Fuel comes out return line at the tank when key is cycled. Pump cycles on for a few seconds then turns off. It starts for a second with starter fluid but dies. Also changed distributor and ICM with known working part and no change in the truck running for longer. Need to get this thing running so I can drive it then smog it so I can have a truck until later this year when I build it into a simple prerunner.

Open to any suggestions. I have a small gord junkyard with a few same obs trucks and another high mile 5.8 that ran when I removed it for leaking freeze plugs.

Some people on the Facebook OBS group are saying bad injectors BUT it was running and driving fire no hesitations after i changed blown up rear axle before it died.

You have fuel and you have fire therefore you need to check compression.

Compression was perfect and it starts on starter fluid. I'll pull plugs and check compression.

A few guys on Facebook suggested that all the injectors are plugged. I also swapped this motor in I removed from a bronco that was running and died. The person I got it from said it died and there mechanic said it needed new fuel injectors. Which I fond was weird since I drive it for 20 minutes withiut any problem and no hesitations before I ran it out of gas, then added gas and it started drove 50 ft and it sputtered and died and hasn't ran since.

What happens if you cycle the key a bunch of times and then try and start it?

I've never had injectors be plugged one day and then fine another and then plugged again. Once an injector is fucked it's fucked.

And I've NEVER had all 8 go bad on something running and driving (sitting for years is a different story).

Regardless, you clearly have a fuel problem. You've already done pumps so move up the chain. Next is fuel filter. Then it's injectors.

Also, you can pull a fuel line and make sure the pump runs when it cranks in addition to the usual prime at key on.

No, he doesn't he still has a fuel problem.

See:
Starts and sputters with starting fluid but doesn't stay continue running.

Compression was perfect and it starts on starter fluid. I'll pull plugs and check compression.

A few guys on Facebook suggested that all the injectors are plugged. I also swapped this motor in I removed from a bronco that was running and died. The person I got it from said it died and there mechanic said it needed new fuel injectors. Which I fond was weird since I drive it for 20 minutes withiut any problem and no hesitations before I ran it out of gas, then added gas and it started drove 50 ft and it sputtered and died and hasn't ran since.
I thought you had verified fuel pressure at the rail and verified they were spraying when you verified with noid light . If not, verify if you are indeed getting fuel . Was it sitting for a very long time?

if you inspect and find that you’re indeed getting fuel then I would check compression.

Let me see if I got this.

You bought a used motor that was running and died.

You put it in, it was running then died.

You found low fuel pressure, fixed problem and still will not run?

When you swapped motors, did you use the donor ECM or the one that was already in your truck?

Pull the plugs and clean or replace. Sometimes low fuel pressure and repeated attempts to start dribbles fuel all over the plugs and fouls them. Put a tablespoon of oil in each cylinder in case the gas washed down the walls.

if it will come to life on starting fluid, you have a fuel problem.
Are you sure the gas in the tank is any good? A little water in that tank will ruin it all.

if it will come to life on starting fluid, you have a fuel problem.
Are you sure the gas in the tank is any good? A little water in that tank will ruin it all.

Drained and got new gas in both tanks. At same time I filled my sequoia from almost empty and it's running perfect

Pull the plugs and clean or replace. Sometimes low fuel pressure and repeated attempts to start dribbles fuel all over the plugs and fouls them. Put a tablespoon of oil in each cylinder in case the gas washed down the walls.
Pulled plugs yesterday and all looked good no excessive gas or anything unusual, they were new when I installed the motor and still look that way.

Reactions: DMG
Let me see if I got this.

You bought a used motor that was running and died.

You put it in, it was running then died.

You found low fuel pressure, fixed problem and still will not run?

When you swapped motors, did you use the donor ECM or the one that was already in your truck?

Same ecm that was in the truck when high mile motor was running perfectly.

If it starts on a fluid source outside the tanks you have a fuel problem. Either junk gas or indeed all your injectors (or enough of them) are fucked. If you have a spare truck just lying around swap the whole fuel rail over.

If it starts on a fluid source outside the tanks you have a fuel problem. Either junk gas or indeed all your injectors (or enough of them) are fucked. If you have a spare truck just lying around swap the whole fuel rail over.
Yes that's gonna be the next option. Just gotta get a new upper intake gasket to remove that to pull rails and injectors off.

So you verified injectors are receiving pulse?

Pull an injector and look at screen etc

Was fuel filter nasty? run something thru it backwards a bunch of shit come out?

So you verified injectors are receiving pulse?

Pull an injector and look at screen etc

Was fuel filter nasty? run something thru it backwards a bunch of shit come out?

Yes injectors are receiving pulse

Fuel filter changed and drained gas out the back and it was clean nothing gross that looked unusual.

If I pull the injectors I'm going to change them with the other set I have that worked when I drove the truck into shop to remove the motor.

Losing 8 injectors at the same time is rare, but when you're fucking around with bad fuel, that's the kinda thing that brings it on.

Also, I've filled my Toyota with a half a tank of shit ass gas and it'll burn it just fine:laughing:

I wouldn't be surprised if fresh injectors fixed it, if not, you'll have fresh injectors:laughing:

OK EVERYONE THANJ YOU FOR ALL THE HELP AND SUGGESTIONS. I WAS TRYING TO GET RUNNIJG OFF FRONT TANK WITH THE 5 GAL OF NEW GAS I DUMPED IN. GAS WAS OILY ON MY HAND. SWITCHED TO REAR TANK AND IT RUNS PERFECTLY. SO ADJUSTED TIMING AND REAASSEMBLED. THIS WHOLE TIME IT WAS THE BAD GAS I DUMPED IN THE TANK. NOW I KNOW HOW TO DIAGNOSE AND CHANGE LOTS OF PARTS IF I HAVE AN ISSUE IN FUTURE. SO LESSON LEARNED EVEN NEW GAS IS BAD GAS SOMETIMES. AND 7 GAL OF BAD GAS IN A 26 GAK TANK WASNT ENOUGH TO CAUSE AN ISSUE IN MY SEQUOIA WHEH DRIVING.

I NOW FEEL LIKE AN IDIOT FOR NOT THINKING THE GAS COUKD BE BAD WHEN IT WAS BRAND NEW, EVEN THOUGH IT HAS HAPPENED TO ME IN THE PAST. NOW LIFT BED BA K OFF TO DRAIN FRONT TANK COMPLETELY AND DRICE THIS THING BEFORE TAKING IT TO GET SMOGGED

OK EVERYONE THANJ YOU FOR ALL THE HELP AND SUGGESTIONS. I WAS TRYING TO GET RUNNIJG OFF FRONT TANK WITH THE 5 GAL OF NEW GAS I DUMPED IN. GAS WAS OILY ON MY HAND. SWITCHED TO REAR TANK AND IT RUNS PERFECTLY. SO ADJUSTED TIMING AND REAASSEMBLED. THIS WHOLE TIME IT WAS THE BAD GAS I DUMPED IN THE TANK. NOW I KNOW HOW TO DIAGNOSE AND CHANGE LOTS OF PARTS IF I HAVE AN ISSUE IN FUTURE. SO LESSON LEARNED EVEN NEW GAS IS BAD GAS SOMETIMES. AND 7 GAL OF BAD GAS IN A 26 GAK TANK WASNT ENOUGH TO CAUSE AN ISSUE IN MY SEQUOIA WHEH DRIVING.

I NOW FEEL LIKE AN IDIOT FOR NOT THINKING THE GAS COUKD BE BAD WHEN IT WAS BRAND NEW, EVEN THOUGH IT HAS HAPPENED TO ME IN THE PAST. NOW LIFT BED BA K OFF TO DRAIN FRONT TANK COMPLETELY AND DRICE THIS THING BEFORE TAKING IT TO GET SMOGGED
Just joining the chorus here...

lic.com%2Ff3795f348232b70cb890d6f92e3fb182e139a2f0.jpg

And glad you have your problem resolved.

Losing 8 injectors at the same time is rare, but when you're fucking around with bad fuel, that's the kinda thing that brings it on.

Also, I've filled my Toyota with a half a tank of shit ass gas and it'll burn it just fine:laughing:

I wouldn't be surprised if fresh injectors fixed it, if not, you'll have fresh injectors:laughing:
My Ranger is currently running on half a tank of 3yo 32:1 2-stroke. When you’re running garbage running that shit every day helps a ton. Shit sits for a month with garbage in the injectors and they clog up.

Top Back Refresh