What's new

1988 Ranger rebuild

4Eyedturd

Member Number
Loc
Waco, TX
My mom drove this old Ranger back when I was in 7th or 8th grade for a few years. I got to drive it a couple of time, once up into Oklahoma to pick up a motor for my Maverick. I forgot to get gas before crossing the Texas/Ok border and ran out when I got into the guys town. Some nice older guy gave me a ride to the guys shop and they helped me out.

At some point it was parked and I remember attempting to change the serpentine belt, I lacked the basic knowledge to finish the job. At some point after sitting mom gave it to grandpa who moved it to an uncles house and changed the title over in 2006. Fast forward to a couple months ago and I hit my cousin up and asked about it. The uncle said I could have it and come get it. While I was at my uncles I learned he had a 66 GTO that’s been sitting for a long ass time but my dad had put a motor in it twice for him. So, I had to let him know if he ever wanted to get rid of it I’d love to have it for the sentimental value.

When I picked it up
IMG-1709.jpg
IMG-1710.jpg

Cleaning it up and the kids wanted to help
IMG-1711.jpg
IMG-1716.jpg
IMG-1712.jpg

The passenger fender/door was from mom coming over an overpass during some cold weather and she slide into someone. I found a replacement fender and gonna attempt to pull out the inner structure and straighten the edge of the door and fender.

IMG-1739.jpg

Grabbed some cheap tires, sandblasted the stock wheels and some fresh paint they turned out decent. I still need to find another beauty ring and paint the center caps.

IMG-1813.jpg
IMG-1824.jpg

I traded off the Merkur for a 2.3T motor and a load of goodies for the truck. I’ve got to get a clutch and clutch hydraulics before I stick the motor in at least.

Hillbilly bodywork time, new fender shows how far the inner structure was pushed in.

IMG-1836.jpg
IMG-1837.jpg

Cut some scrap and and welded in and pulled on it while I tried to massage the wrinkles out. It took a couple of times and moving the angle closer to the door to pull some more out of it.

IMG-1838.jpg
IMG-1839.jpg

Good enough for me, and I can bolt the fender on. I found another door and hood that’s straight but has a lot of surface rust so I’m on the fence for using them or living with however straight I can get the current door and hood edges.

IMG-1842.jpg
IMG-1844.jpg
IMG-1841.jpg

Top Back Refresh