What's new

1983 Toyota Hilux windshield glass, can't find it anywhere! Help!

My podunk indie guy sets ANY windshield for $200, and had my 83' in 3 days time.
Disclaimer.... I aint out in the sticks.
try carlite? (I think that's the name?) The oem shit on most oem rolling stock.

All else fails cab swap (I know sacrilege)...

Last edited:
My podunk indie guy sets ANY windshield for $200, and had my 83' in 3 days time.
Disclaimer.... I aint out in the sticks.
try carlite? (I think that's the name?) The oem shit on most oem rolling stock.

All else fails cab swap (I know sacrilege)...

The independent I use most often is $226 installed for any piece I’ve ever gotten. I’ve never had any they couldn’t get, until now. I’ll look into carlite. Thanks.

BTW, how long ago did you have that windshield replaced? Just wondering when they suddenly became scarce.

took a few to remember...
unfortunatley, 6+ years ago by the file on the truck

Update for anyone still following this who cares about getting 1983 glass:

I finally found an independent shop in Omaha NE, Omaha Glass Pro's, who found one of their vendors that had one. Tint across the top as an SR5 should (not that I give AF). Window, new window seal and install is supposed to be around $300. We shall see if it turns up, as between calling for availability and getting an appointment for the end of the week the vendor they quoted me first had sold their last piece (or discovered their inventory off) and had switched their inventory to discontinued (2 hours between calls).

So I'll be waking up at 4:30 to make the trek to the city in a couple of days. Unless they call me and tell me that vendor didn't actually have one, then I get to start over from scratch.

I'll let you know how it turns out. Thought about buying an extra piece or 2, maybe old Toyota glass is 2021 Bitcoin? :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Fubar cut n paste...
brb
No joy in the lame link,
Good luck hope they come thru for ya!

Last edited:
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...BAgKEAw&adurl=

half way cross the world from ya but....
Quick juggle search 1 hr away from me.
I wonder if it's a regional thing?

Nice! I'm sure Cali and the southwest have 79-83's still around to put a window in. Here in the "melt your vehicle like the wicked witch" belt (it ain't just the rust belt any more since everyone switched to salt brine). The only reason this one's still alive is I bought it out of the shed it spent 10 years in when someone diagnosed water in the pan as a broken block and not a timing chain made hole in the timing cover. 2wd or 4, I haven't seen one of these in my parts in years, unless I look out the window, of course!:grinpimp:

Reactions: Clb
I've always paid around $70 for new aftermarket. I guess I need to check my source and stock up. I'll report back tomorrow.

Yep. Readily available. Clear or tinted.

All Star Glass. Any windshield company in the country should have access to them. Not rare, but it's also not a parts house item.

All Star Glass. Any windshield company in the country should have access to them. Not rare, but it's also not a parts house item.

Thank you for the suggestion. I just called their 24 hour line. They say that they can get it, but they just install, not manufacture. The closest facility is 1300 miles away, and they don’t ship. The lady I spoke with didn’t sound very interested in the conversation though, so who knows how accurate the information is. The price is in line with what I finally found today at $210 installed.

Update for anyone still following this who cares about getting 1983 glass:

I finally found an independent shop in Omaha NE, Omaha Glass Pro's, who found one of their vendors that had one. Tint across the top as an SR5 should (not that I give AF). Window, new window seal and install is supposed to be around $300. We shall see if it turns up, as between calling for availability and getting an appointment for the end of the week the vendor they quoted me first had sold their last piece (or discovered their inventory off) and had switched their inventory to discontinued (2 hours between calls).

So I'll be waking up at 4:30 to make the trek to the city in a couple of days. Unless they call me and tell me that vendor didn't actually have one, then I get to start over from scratch.

I'll let you know how it turns out. Thought about buying an extra piece or 2, maybe old Toyota glass is 2021 Bitcoin? :lmao::lmao::lmao:

A couple of years ago there were several places in Omaha that had first gen windshields when I called around.

The rubber gasket was the part they were having a hard time getting. I was able to find one somewhere on the web for them to use.

A couple of years ago there were several places in Omaha that had first gen windshields when I called around.

The rubber gasket was the part they were having a hard time getting. I was able to find one somewhere on the web for them to use.

Got it installed this morning. They got a new seal too. It tacked another 100 on to the price. Seemed pricey, but also appears to be good quality. The interwebs are full of inexpensive ones, but I can’t tell the quality. They did a good job though, far as I can tell. When I flop it again we’ll see if it pops out, or if it leaks when it rains.

Thanks to all those who gave me done info, and let me know it was still available in their area. Gave me hope of finding one eventually. To all who posted to give me shit for being lazy or stupid, :flipoff2:, but you also make posting here fun. :grinpimp:

Top Back Refresh