What's new

1970 C10 project

Does the accelerator pump have springs, if so could you have put them in backwards?

I’m sure you watched all the quadrajunk rebuild videos a few times each.

Does the accelerator pump have springs, if so could you have put them in backwards?

I’m sure you watched all the quadrajunk rebuild videos a few times each.
I'm fairly sure I got that part right, but won't swear to it anymore. I had a book and youtube to work from. I'm gonna take the carb back off this week regardless, because I remember now that when I went to put this 1969 carb on the 1970 engine (allegedly) that either the carb base or the intake had the "hot slot" so rather than the suggested base gasket i put on the hot slot gasket. I might just have a major vacuum problem or something? :homer:

If it's not float height set way wrong, I'm thinking it may be the check ball under the accelerator pump stuck. The instructions said drop it in there and lightly tap it to seat it. I never checked to see if it was seated or tapped enough to stick. Those are my first two guesses. I'll find out later this week I suppose :homer:

Ok. It ran again, but honestly I can't tell you why or how I fixed it :laughing:
Took the carb off this morning, did replace the base gasket, because I had put the hot slot gasket on because it matched the intake profile even though there was no hot slot milled in it. While it was off I took the top plate off and checked float function and all, accelerator pump, etc.. all seemed fine, but I did notice and think it odd that the needle clip was in one of the two holes at the back of the float, but figured some engineer thought it was alright so i put it back together and bolted it back on the truck, poured gas in teh float bowl, and it fired right up like brand new.
I had also put in a brand new battery though instead of the shitty one that would only help it crank about twice before needing jumper cables.
So, I don't know if i knocked something loose, different base gasket, or better voltage for spark caused it to fire right up, but it did.
Idled fast as fuck though even when the choke stopped, and started trying to mess with idle speed and it cut off and spewed gas out through the throttle linkage. After lots more Googling tonight, I now know that either my fuel pressure is so high from new fuel pump that it's blowing through the bowl when teh truck cuts off, or that the needle isn't doing needle things cus the clip is in the wrong fucking spot. So before I buy a fuel pressure regulator I'm taking the carb apart again to move the clip for the needle.
Video of it running again though :smokin:

Screenshot 2024-05-18 at 18-11-35 Rebuilding interpon's '79 L82 Q-Jet - CorvetteForum - Chevro...png

You’re going to REALLY know this carburetor inside and out. Do you have any books on Quadrajet carbs?

You’re going to REALLY know this carburetor inside and out. Do you have any books on Quadrajet carbs?
Yeah I'm pretty familiar with them now, even more so now knowing about the float/needle clip. I have the Cliff Ruggles quadrajet book and I feel like it should be written in big bold letters somewhere in it how to properly attach that clip. When you take it apart and it's been messed with before and you don't know better than to put it back that way. :shaking::homer:

Top Back Refresh