What's new

1964 evinrude 40hp crank no start.

Tryloff

Member Number
Hey all, I'm not new to wrenching but this is my first boat. I have only owned it for a few month but I cant get it started. I'm going to write down everything I know about it to hopefully help answer many questions.

-When I got it, the cylinder head and cover were cleaned and had new gaskets so I assume someone was in there recently.
-I tested compression and have 105 on the lower cyl and 110 on the upper.
- points, condensers, and coils are all new and set correctly. .020 for the points as the manual and flywheel both say, and coils are positioned correctly.
-spark verified by a spark tester on both cyl. Looks like it may be weak? But sparks reliably.
  • new plugs. M42K part number listed in the manual.
  • starter rebuilt, it spins very fast, can't get rpm reading while cranking from the front.
  • I rebuilt the carb with both the parts manual and the service manual right in front of me. I'm fairly confident I did it correctly, but it's the first time I've done this specific carb.
-It has ran for about 10 minutes total since being back together. It never ran well.
  • when I pulled the plugs out for compression test, they were soaking wet. I was able to fling moisture off on to the shop floor. I'm assuming fuel/oil but it wouldn't light on fire with a lighter held to it.
  • the 5 gal gas tank was about half full when I got it. I put 1.25 gallons of fresh 40:1 in it before messing with it.

I mixed a fresh batch of fuel and tried to run it off of that with new spark plugs. Still no start. It did backfire. Does anyone know how to check timing on this engine?

Any other suggestions are more than welcome.

Been decades since I had 1...
Keyway on crank to top flywheel thingy ,
( ring gear holder) fubar?
Coil leads attached correctly?

My .02
Shitty fuel

Last thought...
P.O.
Could have drowned the thing in fogging oil causing it to foul.

Fuel is known good. I drained the carb and pump and ran it off a jerry can with fresh 40:1.

I will check the rest and report back.

Been decades since I had 1...
Keyway on crank to top flywheel thingy ,
( ring gear holder) fubar?
Coil leads attached correctly?

My .02
Shitty fuel

Last thought...
P.O.
Could have drowned the thing in fogging oil causing it to foul.
It was the keyway for the flywheel. 20231008_152531.jpg

Reactions: Clb
That looks fubar..
Should stand proud by like an 1/8th" ish
Look at the depth of engagement into the flywheel and its keyway...

I rebuilt the water pump and changed the oil in the lower unit. It has new plugs, points, coils and condensers. And I rebuilt the carb. All it needs is warmed up on the water to make sure the choke and carb are adjusted right.

Btw
Don't forget to grease the driveshaft and crankshaft socket splines when you are in there...
Keeps separating The tower unit from becoming a nightmare.

Top Back Refresh