What's new

14bolt ribbed vs smooth housing shafts interchange?

I don’t believe so. I believe all that changed was the inner pinion bearing throughout the years.

Could be wrong though. Have been before.

Definitely not the same.
Older smoothie srw had a 31.625 and 37
New srw axles are 33 and 38.5

Depends.

The last square bodies had a ribbed housing (say 88-91 crewcab) so they share shaft lengths with 73-87.

Definitely not the same.
Older smoothie srw had a 31.625 and 37
New srw axles are 33 and 38.5
There were other ribbed housings before the 2000's that had the shorter shafts but the long side was .5" shorter. Got a set in my garage right now diff between a smooth housing and ribbed housing drum braked SRW housings.

Depends on the ribbed housing. There are several and as said the earliest are probably the closest.

There are ribbed axles with fixed drums like old 14b, slip on drums, discs and drw/srw hubs.

Both of these shafts came from fixed drum SRW 14 bolt. 1 smooth housing 1 ribbed housing both hubs are identical. Ribbed housing WMS is 1/2" narrower. 66.5" vrs earlier 67".

The short side shaft is also 1/8" shorter but that won't effect it as much as the longer side.

37.75" on earlier smooth 67" WMS housing vrs 37" on later 66.5" WMS ribbed housing.
1000002617.jpg

The later slip on drum and disc brake shafts are even longer. But those hubs are different.

Just noticed the difference in clean spline "engaged spline on those 2 shafts. You could likely get away with running the shorter shaft in the longer housing. You'd potentially have to cut down the longer one for the shorter housing. Short sides would work fine in either scenerio.

Both of these shafts came from fixed drum SRW 14 bolt. 1 smooth housing 1 ribbed housing both hubs are identical. Ribbed housing WMS is 1/2" narrower. 66.5" vrs earlier 67".

The short side shaft is also 1/8" shorter but that won't effect it as much as the longer side.

37.75" on earlier smooth 67" WMS housing vrs 37" on later 66.5" WMS ribbed housing.

Fixed drums does not define a housing width.

All the old square bodies have fixed drums, but GMT 400 era (all ribbed) brakes can be either way on a SRW.

Fixed drums does not define a housing width.

All the old square bodies have fixed drums, but GMT 400 era (all ribbed) brakes can be either way on a SRW.
I didn't say they did :flipoff2:

I stated what housings and what WMS they came from.

I didn't say they did :flipoff2:

I stated what housings and what WMS they came from.

I'm trying to add meaningful context.

1" one way or the other isn't discernable from a FBMP ad. Can definitely tell a square-body from a GMT400 diff though.

Top Back Refresh