What's new

14 bolt carrier split question

ryanlanier

Member Number
Loc
Central Florida
Probably obvious to everyone but me. Do the 14 bolt FF differentials from a Chevy CUCV have “special” 4.56 carriers?

I searched the web but have not seen a definite answer. The closest thing I can find is from post number 8 here -> (https://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/threads/14-bolt-gears.21378/) which states they only accept “thin” cut style ring gears. I assume all 3.73 gears would be "thin" style due to the larger diameter pinion gear? Another post I found shows a ratio chart that has two styles of 4.56 gears which adds more confusion(as far as the CUCV vs normal 4.56 carriers).

The reason I am asking is that I currently have a 14 bolt which I need to swap the 4.56 out for a 3.73 but am not sure if I need to purchase a different carrier despite the 4.10/4.56 carrier split.

Thanks...

Ah thanks this is a great link! So perhaps I am mixing this up as well but would that be considered 4.56 and up numerically(4.88, 5.13) or 4.56 and up as in "taller" (3.42, 3.73)?

EDIT: I realize that this means I will need a 4.10 and down carrier as the 3.73 ring gear will need to be further back in the carrier, than my current 4.56, to compensate the larger pinion diameter.

Last edited:
Correct.

All oe gear sets are "thin". Aftermarket gears are available "thick" to make existing wrong carriers work. Doesnt work the other dirrection though.

3.73 need 3.21-4.10 carrier as well as 5.38.
4.56-5.13 need the 4.56 carrier.

Now that all being said. I have found something that i have never gotten a real explination for. i have found large and small shank crosses and carriers for both gov loc and open carriers. Wtf is up with that shit?

3.73 need 3.21-4.10 carrier as well as 5.38.
4.56-5.13 need the 4.56 carrier.

Not always.

I've got thick 5.13 gears in my buggy.

But I agree with your statement that "All oe gear sets are "thin". Aftermarket gears are available "thick" "

I know . That i said what i said. Your gears are....................aftermarket.

5.38 are aftermarket only and afaik ONLY available in thick

Top Back Refresh