What's new

12v Cummins Turbo

jeepnmatt

4.10 axle gears will help a ton. or downsize tires.

I think I'll start looking down south for a 94-02 Ram 1500 2wd donor truck to fix up my truck's rusty body... only if my truck prove it's worth after the new turbo go in.
and possibly do the manual to auto (built 47re) swap & axle gear swap from 3.55 to 4.10 while I am at it. It'll be nice and fun to actually have a 500 hp truck.

I might will do G56 swap, if I find one for cheap. Even though, they still don't hold up as well as built autos.

Also keep in mind engine braking shorten manual trans' service life. Auto trans don't care.

Speaking of swaps that make baby Jesus cry. (Manual to auto)

Anyone on the internet swap in a 6 speed auto from a newer Cummins into a 12v or 24v truck ? I think that would be the shit.
Physically bolting the transmission in place would be fairly straight forward. The electronics are unpossible. I don't know of anybody making a stand alone controller for any of the modern autos, especially for the 12v that uses zero sensors or computers.
Also keep in mind engine braking shorten manual trans' service life. Auto trans don't care.
Lol whut?

I must be a unicorn. I've put well over 100k on my NV4500 with most of it being bdl territory up and down the Rockies, at 596 hp/1103 tq at the wheels, (Dyno proven in front of a crowd) with not one failure.

Physically bolting the transmission in place would be fairly straight forward. The electronics are unpossible. I don't know of anybody making a stand alone controller for any of the modern autos, especially for the 12v that uses zero sensors or computers.

Lol whut?

I must be a unicorn. I've put well over 100k on my NV4500 with most of it being bdl territory up and down the Rockies, at 596 hp/1103 tq at the wheels, (Dyno proven in front of a crowd) with not one failure.

Have you tried Google? :homer: because 30 seconds shows results for every brand 6 speed that came behind a diesel. :flipoff2:

Allison would probably have the most support for stand alone. Although I was actually towing with one today and was not impressed compared to the Ford 6 speed. 1st gear is old-school 3:1 and you can really feel it starting out. Have to give lots of throttle to get going.

I may five into the 68rfe behind a 12v more out of curiosity. If I ever have issues with my zf5, ill probably be going that route.

I did try Google. :homer:. I found the one for Allison, but I did not find anything readily available or even on the market for the 68RFE, 6R140, or the Aisin.

Regardless, it would be impossible to make any of those fully electronic transmissions work with a 12valve. No sensors = no talky to a transmission controller. Also the mechanical throttle would make it impossible to defuel the engine between shifts.

The VP pump 24 valve engines and later would make the electronics easier. But again, I couldn't find anything readily available for the 68RFE, 6R140, or the Aisin.

Sorry to the OP for mucking up his turbo thread. That 62/68 charger seems to be popular. I'm interested in his real world seat of the pants experience with it.

I did try Google. :homer:. I found the one for Allison, but I did not find anything readily available or even on the market for the 68RFE, 6R140, or the Aisin.

Regardless, it would be impossible to make any of those fully electronic transmissions work with a 12valve. No sensors = no talky to a transmission controller. Also the mechanical throttle would make it impossible to defuel the engine between shifts.

The VP pump 24 valve engines and later would make the electronics easier. But again, I couldn't find anything readily available for the 68RFE, 6R140, or the Aisin.

Sorry to the OP for mucking up his turbo thread. That 62/68 charger seems to be popular. I'm interested in his real world seat of the pants experience with it.

Dude, do you know what stand alone means? It means it doesn't need to talk to the engine. :homer:

You suck at google:flipoff2:

Dude, do you know what stand alone means? It means it doesn't need to talk to the engine. :homer:

I know exactly what stand alone means. What I'm trying to tell you is that anything above stock power levels, if you don't defuel the engine between shifts, you WILL rip the guts out of any transmission.

That is fact.

With a mechanical pump, you can not defuel a 12valve between shifts.

I watched your first vidya. Actually my Google doesn't suck, because I found it this morning. That guy is smart and made it work, and props to him, but I doubt the reliability of that setup for two reasons.

As for the quick six controller
Screenshot_20230404-184537.png

The technology is not there yet, and dare I say never will be.

You still really need a TPS and tach signal if you want those to shift well.

I know exactly what stand alone means. What I'm trying to tell you is that anything above stock power levels, if you don't defuel the engine between shifts, you WILL rip the guts out of any transmission.

That is fact.

With a mechanical pump, you can not defuel a 12valve between shifts.

That's a fair point. I'm sure there is a way, but probably an overly complex solution. There is obviously a point where you start to detract from the benefits of the 12v.

How do the hot rod 12v guy get away with out defuel on the common 4 speed autos though?

I watched your first vidya. Actually my Google doesn't suck, because I found it this morning. That guy is smart and made it work, and props to him, but I doubt the reliability of that setup for two reasons.

I actually didn't watch it :homer:

Maybe I misinterpreted your post, I read it as "stand alones don't exist" and what I think you meant was "a reliable stand a lone doesn't exist"
As for the quick six controller

The technology is not there yet, and dare I say never will be.

God dang it, I read 6r80 as 6r140 :homer:

I'll just stick to my 5 speed then :flipoff2:

That's a fair point. I'm sure there is a way, but probably an overly complex solution. There is obviously a point where you start to detract from the benefits of the 12v.

How do the hot rod 12v guy get away with out defuel on the common 4 speed autos though?

I actually didn't watch it :homer:

Maybe I misinterpreted your post, I read it as "stand alones don't exist" and what I think you meant was "a reliable stand a lone doesn't exist"

God dang it, I read 6r80 as 6r140 :homer:

I'll just stick to my 5 speed then :flipoff2:
Quoted because I am taking this argument as a win for me! :flipoff2:

The hot rod diesel drag racers and sled pullers dont really get away with a abusing their 4 speeds. The 47RH and 48RE have alot of aftermarket support and can be built to take a tremendous amount of power. But they only take that power a few times before they break and get swapped out with a spare that's kept in stock.

:beer:

The 5r110 might make a decent 12v match, seems like they've got the common rail 5r110 swap sorted out

same way every mechanical trans does
and every trans that people remove the torque management from

Either the trans simply commits sodoku over time, or you set up to shift nice and violent, or some combination of both.

Quoted because I am taking this argument as a win for me! :flipoff2:

Well if you were more clear in the first post, I wouldn't have argued :flipoff2:
The hot rod diesel drag racers and sled pullers dont really get away with a abusing their 4 speeds. The 47RH and 48RE have alot of aftermarket support and can be built to take a tremendous amount of power. But they only take that power a few times before they break and get swapped out with a spare that's kept in stock.

:beer:

Fair point. :laughing:

The 5r110 might make a decent 12v match, seems like they've got the common rail 5r110 swap sorted out

Last I looked guys had a hard time doing a stand alone controlled 5r110, although it's been years.

I'd almost bet that's the toughest trans ever put in a pickup. Of course time will tell if the 10 speeds prove themselves.

To the credit of the manual naysayers, I put an exhaust brake tune on my 6.0 zf-6 truck and it acts weird sometimes with cruise control on while coasting down a very mild grade. Basically whenever the throttle is at 0 the vanes of the turbo close, which decelerates the truck, then cruise applies throttle to maintain speed, and it kinda oscilattes there unless I intervene.

That being said, many, many zf transmissions behind Ford diesels have had simulated or real exhaust brakes for many hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of miles and haven't blown up because of it.

I'd say it's not a problem with manual transmissions behind diesels. Perhaps with the tune, or the driver, but not the trans. Nv4500 5th gear not withstanding, lol.

Back on the rail. Still waiting for the turbo… ordered on 3/26. I pestered PDD and got an answer, estimated ship date 4/12.

I hoped to have it by today to install it. I have 3 days weekend as I’m off today cuz of Good Friday :homer:.

Top Back Refresh