What's new

1/4" rail clips

fordguy

blah.
Member Number
Have a hard time findign 1/4" rail clips that dont suck, theyre all too loose.

tips

Attachments

• 61aKkWYeoJL._AC_UF350,350_QL80_FMwebp_.webp
    9.4 KB · Views: 3
  • VIMV420C-20B_1200Wx1200H.jpg
    VIMV420C-20B_1200Wx1200H.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 116
I've gone to plastic rail clips with a detent ball on them.

I went to these, so far pretty happy other than large size deep impacts 1/2" tend to jump off

I went to these, so far pretty happy other than large size deep impacts 1/2" tend to jump off
I have these in my canvas tool bags. The small Klein ones and they keep the sockets on the rails even being tossed around constantly. Short and long ones. Mine are all 3/8 drive

I've gone to plastic rail clips with a detent ball on them.
They don't hold up to 1/2 deep sockets long term in my experience.

But my tools do more than just sit around in a drawer so ymmv

guys, I am sking about 1/4.

1/2 and 3/8 stuff is more forgiving, 1/4 size and even a hair difference makes it wobbly and useless

Seems to mainly be an issue with my older craftsman stuff

Yep... you got me... I just bought my shit to look at it. :shaking:
You're what? Opening and closing a toolbox drawer and picking sockets off. Maybe taking a rail with you a couple times a week.

I'm just saying that they don't really like being tossed into and pulled out of a toolbox or bucket all the time while full of 1/2 drive deep sockets. I've broken two plastics off my metric rail and one off the standard. Wouldn't be a problem if the rail didn't hold the exact number of sockets I need to fit my metric and freedom sizes across three rails.

1/2 and 3/8 stuff is more forgiving, 1/4 size and even a hair difference makes it wobbly and useless

Buy the aluminum and plastic rails from Walmart or whatever. They are great in the small sizes.

sometimes the steel ones, you can bend them
but I just use the racks that looks like this, of they dont fit where I want them to I just 3d print it
1699896286617.png

1/4 drive? Keep those tiny ass sockets in the case they came in.

I have yet to see the metal clip style not suck ass. The plastic with the ball detent seem to kick ass and hold up rather well. Even if you use them:homer: I have no complaints.

For the top of a tool box, those hanson trays work well too

This style of set needs to make a comeback

1699907435332.png

1699907453846.png

Anything you buy now is goign to have a plastic box and you're lucky to make a year before the latches and/or hinges break off.

Stuff I dont use much is on a mishmash of different rails, just to keep them in order by size. Sockets on these:
The size print kinda sucks, but they were cheap, like $3 at the time. It doesnt stick up as high a the ones that have the size on the post, so fit better in the drawer.

Top Back Refresh