What's new

08 E250 won't take fuel

Pat McRotch

UHURU 👌
Member Number
99% of the time when I fill my rape van, it'll take a gallon or so and the pump will click off. SOMETIMES it takes fuel just fine but only on slow fill setting.
WTF is wrong?

I had an 06 Silverado that did that. Turns out the truck use to have a body lift and was un-lifted before I bought it, but they left the filler neck extension in place when they took the body lift out. So the filler neck was too long and caused a bend that wasn't there without the extension. I always had to fuck with the angle and depth of the pump nozzle when I was filling it up. I never got around to fixing it but that's what did it for mine. Not saying yours used to have a body lift, but maybe something going on with the filler neck. Kinked maybe, or something with the vent?

My '05 gmc does that I just wedge the filler nozzle as far upside down as I can so it doesn't seal against the tank. Works for me.

My '05 gmc does that I just wedge the filler nozzle as far upside down as I can so it doesn't seal against the tank. Works for me.

Thanks guys.
it don't make a difference on the angle of the nozzle. Theres 2 other work vans that the same thing happens to. I can have the guys, myself included, take em to a shop but if I can fix it easily I'll do it. All the vans are the same 05-08 E250.

gas motor?

as its very common in the gas superduty truck for the canister to get full of crap and then the tank wont vent there for makes it very hard and slow to fill. there is a tsb for the trucks for this issues and a relocation kit for the canister vent to keep dirt out of it.

i probably sell a canister a week to fix this problem in the truck so probably worth looking into it

Sounds like your vent solenoid. They will collect dust and dirt etc and cause the vent to not open. I replaced mine on my 08 2500hd and problem solved. 15 minutes to fix. If you use your truck in dusty work conditions id check the vent solenoid. The chevys are right near the tank and a LOT of debris and dirt gets kicked up there. It was doing exactly what yours is doing. It just thinks your tank is full when the vent solenoid stops opening.

Some of the other comments about the neck etc are correct too, but if the problem only just started and you havent changed anything ie lift etc...id look first and that vent valve in your evap system.

Last edited:
Vent solenoid or the charcoal cannister itself are plugged or bad. Pull the vent lines off and make sure you can blow through the vent valve and the charcoal cannister easily.

gas motor?

as its very common in the gas superduty truck for the canister to get full of crap and then the tank wont vent there for makes it very hard and slow to fill. there is a tsb for the trucks for this issues and a relocation kit for the canister vent to keep dirt out of it.

i probably sell a canister a week to fix this problem in the truck so probably worth looking into it

This

We had a fleet of them that ran in the mud, I'm not sure what the proper fix is, but I'd drop that canister, then drop it and kick it all over the shop floor, then blow air through it till it flowed

one van was such a problem that I put a vent and a little valve behind the filler door

Top Back Refresh