What's new

06 LBZ Upgrades w/cab removed

A little trick to get the injectors out. Shout out to the guy with the video. Used an LB7 Injector line I had laying around and just wiggled them a whole lot as I gently (sorta) pried. These had so much dirt and trash down and around them. They were caked full and a lot of the o-rings were of no use. How this truck ran as well as it did is beyond me.
5E7651D9-768B-4A13-92E3-9CFDF5412EBC.jpeg
088840A8-C6BD-46A5-8160-4E21D5C39F6F.jpeg
5826CF89-3DA9-46F7-8F7A-E6B9282EED45.jpeg
A7B6DF50-0572-4AB0-A3A9-F19B09DECDFC.jpeg

Got the passenger side head removed. There was no sign of head gasket issues from what I could see. Maybe some separation but that is it.

5F777A55-7BE2-4EEE-AD5F-771956C5A76F.jpeg
image.jpg
DFA97338-BD9C-4B6F-9FB2-60A0DAE0B9BC.jpeg

I’m still debating removing the EGR. It is pretty nasty in the intakes. Assuming the truck did a lot of idling prior. Just a guess though.
868A1279-94E2-4EB6-9ACD-5D1B1CDDD174.jpeg
BCF62A81-BBB0-4D8D-9974-94468D98F265.jpeg

Also, screw changing that oil pump. You have to pull the whole motor to change it. Had I known that, I wouldn’t have pulled the front cover. If I ever pull the transmission, I may do it then. But my oil pressure is fine and they aren’t high failure items unless the nut backs off.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
Are you going to deck the heads and use C gaskets when you reassemble?

Are you going to deck the heads and use C gaskets when you reassemble?
I am going to have them checked. I have seen a consensus of 4-6 thousandths can safely be removed. After that, you have to start doing valve work. And yes, Mahle C head gaskets with ARP studs.

Mine had 3 thousandths taken out because I had them off. I’m 98% sure the leak I had was the EGR cooler hose at the front of the cooler.

Studs are an excellent idea. You can do a bigger turbo later.

Mine had 3 thousandths taken out because I had them off. I’m 98% sure the leak I had was the EGR cooler hose at the front of the cooler.

Studs are an excellent idea. You can do a bigger turbo later.
I did end up getting a fleece cheetah turbo. Called PPEI that I plan on using for tuning and that is what they recommended. So I was like hell with it and bought one.

Kinda pissed at LDS (Lincoln Diesel Specialty) because I ordered all these parts through them even though it cost a bit more for some things just so I got it all from one place and be done. Well I ordered a water pump and all they sent me was the o ring to install it but no pump and since I didn’t say anything within two weeks of getting the delivery, I couldn’t start a dispute. I just said fine and went and got one elsewhere. But still annoying.

Finally started working on it a bit again. One head cleaned up. The local machine shop didn’t feel like the heads needed work or just didn’t want to deal with it. So I cleaned them. Not sure if I still want to send them off or just run them. Not really any pitting. One low spot in the very middle of the head though.
A1C195FB-02EE-4048-83C1-E4AA86BBB5CB.jpeg

I guess I can run some updates. Started putting it all back together. Have a new Turbo and Y pipe and CP3. Heads are back on with studs and C gaskets. Valve backlash set to 0.010 instead of 0.012. Aftermarket parts are a pain sometimes.
IMG_5851.jpeg

Continue to button up a bit.
IMG_5877.JPG

New to the truck transfer case was put in along with a lift pump.
IMG_5888.jpeg

And here we are with the cab sitting back down. What a mess with these wires were trying to figure out how all this crap ran after being apart for almost a year.
IMG_5892.JPG

So hooked up just enough to try starting it. It took a bit but started and ran. A lot of air in the lines obviously. Even running the lift pump to help (haven't ran the wiring completely for this as just trying to check if it will run correctly). Well it started and ran but would have a whooshing noise as I was trying to start it. I searched and try to find an answer and most of what was written didn't really describe my issues so maybe this will help someone searching. I figured I had a valve problem. Used an old glowplug cut up and tapped the end for my compression tester. Still no luck as they all checked out. Still had a woosh. Started pulling all the glow plugs and turning over by hand. Found the culprit cylinder. Started pulling injectors to check my valve job but found that it was actually the injector that was leaking air around it. replaced it and no more whooshing for now. Had to stop and will start the truck again tonight to make sure it runs.

Was it an o ring causing the WOOSH or was the injector not pushed in all the way? Thankfully they’re easy to access unlike the LB7.

Since you have the cab off (edit: OOPS not anymore) you should do the transfer case brace. I did the orange colored one.

Was it an o ring causing the WOOSH or was the injector not pushed in all the way? Thankfully they’re easy to access unlike the LB7.

Since you have the cab off (edit: OOPS not anymore) you should do the transfer case brace. I did the orange colored one.

Yes, it was a poorly seated injector. Probably hung up on the o-ring that keeps dirt out.

Should have but cab is already back down and wiring hooked back up. I'll deal with it at another date. I really just want it out of my shop so I can work on other crap.

Last edited:
It isn’t too bad to do with the cab on. Maybe if you updated this thread more often I could have said something sooner.

It isn’t too bad to do with the cab on. Maybe if you updated this thread more often I could have said something sooner.
I run another thread with more updates (usually) in the trailer park. I figured no higher than it needs to go, I could slide the cab up a few inches and place the brace. Just getting it going for now.

Top Back Refresh