What's new

05/06 tundra/taco/sequoia 5 speed auto trans. Convert 2wd to 4wd?

DMG

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Anyone done it? I am looking at a 2wd Sequoia to convert.

Following! Wasn't there some recent innovation in Toyota 2wd transmissions for 4wd swaps or doublers? I caught it in passing

/attachments/screenshot_20240117_215054_chrome-jpg.801160/?hash=39331b8897e14ae497594985c6d83d50
Screenshot_20240117_214555_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240117_215054_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240117_215054_Chrome.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 15
It looks like the trans has to get torn apart pretty far to swap the output shaft. I decided not to mess with it.

Did t inchworm or marlin make something to hang a transfer case on a prerunner?

It looks like the trans has to get torn apart pretty far to swap the output shaft. I decided not to mess with it.

inchworm used to.

There was a recent product I believe

Fwiw, a junkyard 4wd trans is probably $500, and an afternoon would swap it into place

I've had similar thoughts, as the "face lift" versions in 4wd are kinda hard to find. I think an 06 with a real tcase and a d44/9" on some 35s would be sweet

the old inchworm prerunner adapter does not work on the A750. I tried, the 4 bolt pattern on the back of the tailshaft is different. I ended up getting a 4x4 trans and an adepter from Marlin. you would need a 4x4 trans to rob for parts to convert a 2wd, and you have to take the trans out to do it, so at that point you may as well just use the 4x4 trans. The nice part is most or all A750's interchange with just swapping external parts like the shift lever and PNR switch and bellhousing/torque converter. I have put a trans out of an FJ cruiser (V6) behind a tundra V8, and a tundra trans behind a 4runner V8.

I was looking into doing something similar. Converting and A340E to A340F and using an AA 50-5710 to hang an atlas on back of it.
Looks like the only difference is the length of the output shaft and I would lose a speed sensor in the Tail housing. I need to dig around some more.
Only reason is that I got a free A340E with the 3rz I just picked up.... I just may just keep looking for an A340F in the mean time.

Reactions: DMG
I was looking into doing something similar. Converting and A340E to A340F and using an AA 50-5710 to hang an atlas on back of it.
Looks like the only difference is the length of the output shaft and I would lose a speed sensor in the Tail housing. I need to dig around some more.
Only reason is that I got a free A340E with the 3rz I just picked up.... I just may just keep looking for an A340F in the mean time.
Easier to swap in the AW4 output shaft and extension housing. 23 spline Atlas bolts right up. Found the parts on ebay for $100.

Yes I looked into that as well. There are 2 versions of the A340E I am aware of the one with the extra long output shaft and the one with the shorter. I have the short output shaft version. I have an AW4 tail shaft housing now. I have read I can cut the output down without removing the shaft along with the speed sensor pickup. I haven't been able to find the correct length that the shaft needs to protrude from the rear of the trans and through the AW4 housing. Anyone know off hand?

Yes I looked into that as well. There are 2 versions of the A340E I am aware of the one with the extra long output shaft and the one with the shorter. I have the short output shaft version. I have an AW4 tail shaft housing now. I have read I can cut the output down without removing the shaft along with the speed sensor pickup. I haven't been able to find the correct length that the shaft needs to protrude from the rear of the trans and through the AW4 housing. Anyone know off hand?
Are you trying to bolt to an atlas? The 23 spline Toyota output is not the same as the Jeep 23 spline.

eventually yes. Im gatering parts for another potential build.
I currently have an A340F/ AA 50-5710 with the 23spline spud shaft to an Atlas 2 in my current rig..

DMG
I'm stalking a clean low mile 2wd 06 sequoia, starting to consider a future 4wd swap

Were you thinking of a factory conversion using junkyard parts, or something custom?

I imagine I could buy a same year rollover and do a clean swap, or maybe figure out what mechanically shifted tcase works and go that route, maybe with a d44 or even d44/9inch combo

DMG
I'm stalking a clean low mile 2wd 06 sequoia, starting to consider a future 4wd swap

Were you thinking of a factory conversion using junkyard parts, or something custom?

I imagine I could buy a same year rollover and do a clean swap, or maybe figure out what mechanically shifted tcase works and go that route, maybe with a d44 or even d44/9inch combo
Factory but with a FJ cruiser manual case, tacoma 4.56 gears, midtravel with good shocks. Like my 2003 tundra was done.

Factory but with a FJ cruiser manual case, tacoma 4.56 gears, midtravel with good shocks. Like my 2003 tundra was

Does the fj cruiser t case bolt up to the a750f?

Sounds like a nice setup, in line with my intended use

Does the fj cruiser t case bolt up to the a750f?

Sounds like a nice setup, in line with my intended use
I believe so. I used an early 2000s taco manual case because mine was a AW4 but according to my research, the FJC had an 750.

I believe so. I used an early 2000s taco manual case because mine was a AW4 but according to my research, the FJC had an 750.

I did a little of the same research just now, it looks like fj cruiser did have the a750

And the manual tcase is somewhat common for 350-400 on carpart

4wd a750f's are also 300-400 on car part... hmm

I was also thinking about the gearing, best I can tell, 750 is 3.5 1st gear, a340 is 2.8 1st gear. My 2003 with 4 speed is sluggish off the line on 32s, but in theory, I should be happy with the 5 speed and 34s

Reactions: DMG
I did a little of the same research just now, it looks like fj cruiser did have the a750

And the manual tcase is somewhat common for 350-400 on carpart

4wd a750f's are also 300-400 on car part... hmm

I was also thinking about the gearing, best I can tell, 750 is 3.5 1st gear, a340 is 2.8 1st gear. My 2003 with 4 speed is sluggish off the line on 32s, but in theory, I should be happy with the 5 speed and 34s
If you find an early 2000s tacoma with the 2.7, 31s and an auto trans, you can swap the 4.56 3rd members into a 1st gen Tundra or sequoia. Mine had 3.90s so 4.56s really woke it up.

Top Back Refresh