What's new

02 TJ bucking and rocking at idle

Gordon-B

Member Number
I bought my 02 TJ about 10 years ago. During that time I've done the usual stuff, starting with a 2" budget boost and now I've got 14" ORIs, built 44 / 8.8, 37s, etc.

It's always been a bit "tricky" to drive, even stock if you let the clutch out in 1st and just roll it would lightly bounce back and forth going from power to engine braking.

Then there's trying to get moving while idling in gear. Seems like no matter how lightly you push the gas pedal, it goes like, nothing, nothing, nothing, vroom.

It's almost impossible not to lurch forward when going from engine braking to power below around 1500 rpm.

I'm no stranger to manual transmissions and some of this is normal, but the jeep is by far the worst I'd experienced.

Nevertheless, I figured it was an old school transmission with a half worn out transfer case, probably half worn out clutch springs, and the lift and all probably magnified everything.

But at this point it lurches and bucks so hard that it honestly feels like something will break if I just let it go without pushing the clutch in.

Anyway, recently my speedo quit working (unplug and plug it back in fixed it) and the drivability was 100% better.

Also the gas pedal was so much more intuitive, no more always half guessing when it will "go".

On the flip side, without a speedo the engine drops right to idle when you let off the gas, whereas normally if you are still rolling the ECU will hold 1200 rpm or thereabouts.

Best I can figure is that the IAC and computer are fighting me when trying to lightly push the gas.

I've seen people ask elsewhere about adjusting the idle speed using the stop screw and the advice is always, "don't do it, you'll screw it up".

What are the chances that someone "screwed it up" before I bought the jeep and I never noticed?

Any advice on how to fix it?

I did try putting a new IAC motor in and it did nothing to improve the situation. I guess maybe a TPS would be the next obvious thing, but it makes no sense that it drives perfectly when the speedo is unplugged.

Any ideas?

I've had broken motor mount give that kind of experience but that is probalby not the issue.

So it drives better with the speedo unhooked? What is the idle speed currently?

The Speedo thing sounds like an electrical gremlin. Do you have a CEL on? If you end up chasing your tail with nonsense you may have a bad ECU. Unplug the main plugs on the computer, clean them and plug back in. Blow out the computer side with air and when you plug them in push them in and out a few time before locking them in.

I know the price sucks but any sensors you replace try and use mopar. Parts store sensors suck and will often not work for very long or reliable. I really wish they worked, I have tried.

Did you clean the IAC cavity in the throttle body when you changed it?

Top Back Refresh