What's new

“Cattywampus” cj5 build

cadman929

Member Number
Well this weekend i picked up 3 cj5’s for $1500. The idea is to build a retro rig to run the rubicon with this august.
Build plans
-build a hp passenger drop dana 30 with 5x5.5 freespin kit
-30 spline ff kit for the offset 44 rear
-t case gears
-35” bfg krawlers
-stock height
-highline front fenders
-raise rear fenders/tub for tire clearance
-power brakes
-get the buick v6 running good
-lots of tube work
IMG_6810.jpeg
IMG_6796.jpeg
IMG_6794.jpeg

So needless to say im bringing home yet another early cj5 tomorrow… my wifes gonna kill me! Oh wait that’s right i dont got one!😂 im picking up one that already has a disk brake 30 up front, linked f/r, fully boxed frame, 351 swapped etc. definitely a great donnor for cattywampus! Ill putting the red body on the other jeeps frame. It’ll require a lot of fibrication fixes but well worth what im paying for it! I still plan on building a beefed out hp30 i know it sounds homo to say😂 but with two rigs on tons i want something different, light, and dont feel bad about bashing trees with! Pics to come in the morning boys!🍻

So needless to say im bringing home yet another early cj5 tomorrow… my wifes gonna kill me! Oh wait that’s right i dont got one!😂 im picking up one that already has a disk brake 30 up front, linked f/r, fully boxed frame, 351 swapped etc. definitely a great donnor for cattywampus! Ill putting the red body on the other jeeps frame. It’ll require a lot of fibrication fixes but well worth what im paying for it! I still plan on building a beefed out hp30 i know it sounds homo to say😂 but with two rigs on tons i want something different, light, and dont feel bad about bashing trees with! Pics to come in the morning boys!🍻
Looking forward to your build. I don't own a CJ anymore but I love them and their simplicity.

947C844C-6AE9-4C27-99E1-5D16760305D5.jpeg
So heres the other one i picked up… 4 link on coil spring rear, 3 linkup front on 14”x2.5” king coilovers with a 351 swapped in. It was way too good of a deal to pass up… this will be the wheeler build now. It needs lots of cleanup work on the fabrication and new legit cage built etc. the motors currently out but i got a good running 351 for $300 already. The red cj will be getting fixed up still. But this tub is in useable shapeand already has the tub/floor all setup for wilwood hydraulic masters so im going to run with it. Same basic build plan 35” krawlers not much over stock height but v8 and linked… ill be starting new threads for both the red and the blue cj’s (yall are gonna love the blue ones build)

Well boys been busy working on the shop, but hopefully ill get the rig torn apart this weekend and start figuring things out. If youve followed some of my other builds although this isnt a huge fancy shop youll know how huge of an upgrade it is from the costco tent… gonna start tearing into the new supposedly good 351 as well, anyone need a 2wd c6?😂
IMG_7118.jpeg
IMG_7111.jpeg
IMG_7120.jpeg
IMG_7119.jpeg

IMG_7313.jpeg
Mocking up corner armor… with the krawlers on.
IMG_7299.jpeg
everyone’s favorite mounting up diy beadlocks…
IMG_7228.jpeg
some people should not attempt sheet metal work… granted im one of them that shouldnt but i aint this bad👀
IMG_7234.jpeg
shop lion approved👌🏼 the seats are lower/further back than they will be since theyre going to be mounted up to the cage
IMG_7279.jpeg
looking at making a whole enclosed storage trunk here. Essentially planing on boxing the shock towers outve the body and trimming them so it’s a pocket from the exterior. Then in the center ill have a trunk the width of the tub. And ill finally get to use these cool little latches i got from a job years ago
IMG_7280.jpeg

Well boys ive been working on gathering parts and have almost everything now. So time to start building! After much himing and hawing i decided to go with a 609 up front with a tg housing and 99-04 knuckles and a sterling 9.75 in the rear with a rhodes race cars 9” housing and sterling 10.5” full float outers. Ill throw up some pictures after work of the progress. After starting to clean up the front of the frame i opted just to do a front half and start all over.

The stove is Some little wood stove i got for free.99 when i was building the shop i had a smudge pot in there which is a diesel fired orchard heater
That smudge pot thing is what i was referring to, i thought it kind of had that look to it.

The pile of expensive shit looking like the start of an xtreme4x4 episode
IMG_9499.jpeg

Quick mock up lastnight because you know i had to see what it might look like. Changing the links up but just wanted to see how far i can offset the pinion to the passenger side.
IMG_9503.jpeg
Was walking with my sawzall and slipped and this happened
IMG_9455.jpeg

Mofab keyed factory 99-04 knuckles
AF3FEF2B-9908-493C-B004-1E0A48F0F360.jpeg

When diesels $5/gal we take the honda cervix
IMG_8845.jpeg
IMG_8846.jpeg

Your parts pile is stacking nicely sir! That front axle is clean. I have a set of 05 SD axles that mock me every time I leave my shop.

IMG_9796.jpeg
IMG_9795.jpeg
IMG_9794.jpeg
IMG_9740.jpeg
IMG_9797.jpeg
Another night spending my hour in the shop. Building shit’s hard when youre gone from 4:30am-8:30pm 6 days a week but every little bit helps. Got one of the tube rems outve the knuckle and cleaned up the shop another thing im super religious about since i finally have a real shop.

Attachments

• IMG_9795.jpeg
    IMG_9795.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9794.jpeg
    IMG_9794.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9796.jpeg
    IMG_9796.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9740.jpeg
    IMG_9740.jpeg