What's new

Who uses a block heater?

jawzjeep

Blah blah blah yeah whatever
Member Number
Loc
Washington State
For gas applications not diesel. At what temps do people start plugging in their block heaters?

What are you driving?
While i use the ford ps all the time i have never had my tbi not start. But i only get down it singles and teens not below zero
91 burb. It came in the rig when I got it. Paperwork I have says it spent time in alaska, then canada, now here. I've never had one on a rig before so I'm just unfamiliar with when to use it.

Man, call me what you will, but I'm tempted to plug my truck in any time it's <30.

Plug in when I let the dogs out in the a.m. and by the time I leave for work the heater blows warm and has a good headstart defrosting everything. Cheaper than burning fuel defrosting and beats the shit out of scraping windows.

Use It the same as a diesel. It’s just so your car is warm in the morning but for people who park outside when it is zero degrees regularly.

Man, call me what you will, but I'm tempted to plug my truck in any time it's <30.

Plug in when I let the dogs out in the a.m. and by the time I leave for work the heater blows warm and has a good headstart defrosting everything. Cheaper than burning fuel defrosting and beats the shit out of scraping windows.
this

plugged it in all the time in winter when I had my truck in alaska. never once had an issue starting without it, it just gets the heater going faster. I still went out and started it and let it run for 5-10 mins though

block heater is still installed but rarely use it down here. maybe this weekend for the siberian express

i also like the electric battery warmer blankets

-20 C, whatever the fuck that is in F

I just finished installing one in my ski-doo. Hopefully never need it, more of a have it and not need it type thing. I really wish I could have got one that ran on 18 volts instead of 120.

Single digits F.

Not sure how much it helps, but I feel better doing it. it certainly sounds/feels like it starts better. I also have a battery warmer jobber thing.

Single digits F.

Not sure how much it helps, but I feel better doing it. it certainly sounds/feels like it starts better. I also have a battery warmer jobber thing.

I have been wondering about a block heater on a gas rig. We are typically in the 15-25*f range during winter, so not near enough to cause issues, but just thought it might be a little better for them and speed up heater?

I have been wondering about a block heater on a gas rig. We are typically in the 15-25*f range during winter, so not near enough to cause issues, but just thought it might be a little better for them and speed up heater?
can't really comment on the speed of the heater. I idle my truck for 10m before I leave anyways, and usually by then the heat is warm. I never start my truck and leave. I sit there for a minute. my phone takes about that long to connect to the radio for whatever reason, and I use that as a queue to leave.

can't really comment on the speed of the heater. I idle my truck for 10m before I leave anyways, and usually by then the heat is warm. I never start my truck and leave. I sit there for a minute. my phone takes about that long to connect to the radio for whatever reason, and I use that as a queue to leave.

Our 2015 F150 seems to warm up in about that time also. The 96 4runner isn't bad, but usually doesn't get much heat untill you drive, unless you run it for quite a while.

If you have a normal schedule an outlet timer works well for turning the block heater on 45mins before you leave. No reason to keep it on all night, that just racks up a power bill.

I had a block heater and a pan heater on my tacoma until a marmot chewed the wires off. It certainly started a lot nicer on subzero mornings.

I’ve started gas engines at -37 with no block heater. This was a carb’d 4 cylinder Toyota.

I grew up in Gunnison CO, if you didn't plug your vehicle in it would freeze solid. I lived in many other cold places over the years and always plugged my diesels in at about 30-35* made them start a lot easier. I have block heaters on 3 if my gas rigs and plug then in about 25-39*. I know your rig starts up at -30 and that's fine for your rig, I'm sure the extra electricity cost for mine offsets the extra wear on yours. Besides it's nice and warm inside not to mention the clear windows I didn't have to scrape.:flipoff2:

I’ve started gas engines at -37 with no block heater.
So have I, but have you done it regularly, like 60+ times per winter, every winter, for 15 years?

Some places having a block heater is mandatory. Sure your shit will probably start at that temp, but your battery better be perfect, and you better have a long time to wait for the windows to defrost. And it's gotta be less wear on the engine with the heater.

Tried to start the four wheeler last night to push snow. No go. Would be nice to have a block heater on it.

It was around -10. But it was in the barn out of the wind.

Lawnmower started though. After the hydrostat warmed up some, snow blowing back in my face it was.

Used to have a 48 willys I pushed snow with. That even after an overhaul would not start without a block heater.
Biggest problem with that was the Trans or transfercase was usally locked up from frozen water inside. LOL

In Canada the parking lots have plug-ins for every parking spot. A battery heater is also nice to keep that from swelling busting.

Alot easier that piston slapping for 10 mins

Lots of good info, thanks.

Its been in the teens around here for the last week or so. We dont see it that low very often here. Since my burb came with one I just kinda wondered if I should use it.

By the sounds of it its not necessary for me but helpful. Its not my daily so waiting for it to warm up isnt an issue. And I dont really need to start it when its this cold so its pretty much pointless.

I did leave it connected overnight 2 of the nights thinking that's what its for. But I won't do that anymore. Live and learn. Most lessons aren't free anyway.

Started the 96 4runner this morning at about 0* :usa:

It turned over a little slow and didn't sound great for a few seconds but seemed fine otherwise.

I totally agree with what most are saying. Just because you don't need it, doesn't mean it's not nice to have and probably a lot easier on your rig.

It also seems a lot different starting something in cold temps that ran the day before, vs a few days or so of sitting. Especially a diesel, I'd imagine the fuel tank doesn't drop to ambiant temp over night, but maybe I'm wrong.

So have I, but have you done it regularly, like 60+ times per winter, every winter, for 15 years?

Some places having a block heater is mandatory. Sure your shit will probably start at that temp, but your battery better be perfect, and you better have a long time to wait for the windows to defrost. And it's gotta be less wear on the engine with the heater.

Yes I have. Not for 15 years. Batteries got replaced every 3 years. That’s all they’d last. Less wear on the engine? It was a 30 year old Toyota. 2 pumps of the gas and it would fire right up. She sure as fuck didn’t like it.

When I lived in Canada, I didn’t want no stupid plug sticking out of my grill, so I got a remote start. It has a feature where it will start automatically when the block gets to -20 and warm up for 15 minutes. Whe it was -40, it would run a couple times a night.

When I lived in Canada, I didn’t want no stupid plug sticking out of my grill, so I got a remote start. It has a feature where it will start automatically when the block gets to -20 and warm up for 15 minutes. Whe it was -40, it would run a couple times a night.
If my stuff fired up by itself I'd freak out.

The cord on mine is long enough to poke out the grille but its pretty tall so I just dropped the cord under the frame and connected it.

Top Back Refresh