Photos:

Latest posts

Latest photos

Group events

New Mexico

Wheeler Trail Etiquette

67StingrayJ

Member Number
Hey everyone. I live down here to Las Cruces and it seems like everyone around here loves to wheel, but nobody understands adequate. Regardless of what you're wheeling, I'm sure we could all agree many other outdoor types find issue with our sport. What we don't protect is susceptible to attack.

We have a responsibility to not only be good stewards of our outdoor spaces, but also be respectful of our community at large. We wheelers represent ourselves. The way we conduct ourselves can impact the rights we have been fighting for all our lives. Luxuries such as but not limited to: Unlimited BLM Trail Access, Driving UTVs/SXSs on public streets, Helmet laws, etc.

Over my nearly 40 years years of wheeling I've seen some questionable behaviors, activities, or bad decisions that in retrospect, could jeopardize our sport. I'd like to share some suggestions or guidelines for we fellow Wheelers.

• Trash - Probably the most important, yet most ignored is trash. Clean up your beer bottles, or your gun shells, or anything that may have fallen out while riding. I get it, trash happens. But don't be afraid to pick up any trash you see on the trail, even if it's not yours. And if you find any straight up illegal dumping, we in New Mexico have the means to report it.
  • Breakdowns - Sh-it happens. If you're in distress and need a hand, nothing can be more frustrating than being ignored. By all means, wave someone down. I don't always carry my jack, but always have my tool kit. Helping fellow Wheelers out on the trail can be the beginning of a new friendship. But if you don't need anyone to stop, just flash that universal "ok" sign so we know you got things under control. And be sure to pick up the old fragments of what used to be your belt before you hit the trail again.
  • Dust - This is the bane to our sport, especially here in the SouthWest. We wheelers have learned to embrace it, but that doesn't mean others enjoying our outdoor spaces want to eat it. If you see hikers, mountain bikers, or campers, slow down and try not to kick up too much dust for them. Turn down the radios, pass with care and give a smile or a wave.
  • Stereos - We get it. You spent $2,000 on a sound system. But do you have to blast your jams at full volume while gassing up at the trail head? Be mindful of people around you. This includes when your stopped at the summit for a refreshment. If the people that areal ready there aren't listening to music, they probably want to enjoy the scene without your interpretation of good music ruining the mood.
  • Views - Sometimes it's not about the journey, but the destination. Don't block trails to soak in the view. Make room for all to enjoy. And for the love of Nature, don't forget all other etiquettes.
  • Campfires - It gets cold here in the SouthWest, especially when you factor in the wind. And who doesn't enjoy a campfire with good company? Make sure you know what is and is not allowed in your area. And if you do have a fire, consider bringing your own wood. Dead vegetation here in the SouthWest isn't just for us to burn. It often serves as shelter for our outdoor friends. Try to disrupt the natural progression of nature as little as possible. And for the love of Wheeling, put your fires out. Bring a shovel and burry your embers if you can.
  • Cutting Trails - Don't take it upon yourself to just start making new trails. Erosion, endangered species, or traffic control are all many legal reasons not to cut your own trails. But we have so many trails already, surely we don't need to start mowing over vegetation just because we want to.
  • Vegetation - It takes a LONG time for plants to grow. Don't run off trail and over vegetation just because you can. Trails are there for a reason. It is OK, however, to in many instances to maintain trails. If a branch is constantly threatening to put your passengers eye out, it's ok to properly prune the plant. Just don't break it off with your hands. A clean prune can help a plant recover where as a rip, tear or nasty break can make the plant more susceptible to disease or rot.
  • Noise - Who doesn't want 3-5% more horsepower out of their whipper? And that exhaust note, man it sounds good. But there is a time and a place to mash the go peddle. If your on city streets, or in a residential neighborhood, try and keep the RPMs at a respectable level. Nobody likes an obnoxious driver. And be mindful of what time it is. Nobody wants to be woken up at 2am because you have a heavy foot.
  • Traffic Laws - SXSs and UTVs are street legal here in Las Cruces, but only in certain areas, and under said conditions. Make sure you know the laws. We SXS/UTV owners shelled out a lot of $$$ for our rides. We don't need the ATVs or go-carts or trail only rigs on the road jeopardizing our rights to be there because of your misunderstanding. If your required to have a horn, or wear a helmet, do so.
  • Pets - Dog is mans best friend. Make sure your pets are not terrorists. My dog loves a good ride but the sight of a jackrabbit and he goes nuts. Know your pet. If they need a leash, or water dish, pack it. Be responsible pet owners.
  • Public gravel roads - We're not the only ones using powerline roads, or other maintenance roads. So be mindful of leaving ruts and think twice before you fishtail it around a turn. If were not careful, many of our rides could be banned from using these roads. Know the time and place.
  • Wildlife Habitats - Are you allowed in the river? What about when it's dry? Did you know down here in lower New Mexico there is an endangered species that makes dry riven beds its home? If you're not allowed in the river beds, then stay out. Yeah, I miss the days of 90mph runs up and down the river bed. But we're not the only living being on this plane. Those animals have just as much right to their homes as we do.
  • Drinking - Be safe. Be responsible. If you have to drink (in excess) to enjoy the sport, perhaps this isn't the sport of you. By all means, enjoy that cold one on a hot day. Just do so responsibly. And don't leave your bottles, or cans, or caps, or anything else out on the trail.
  • Shooting - Exercise that right of yours. Just be sure to pick up your shells. Don't bring old TVs out there for target practice. Find a safe place to shoot. Have fun, but most importantly, be safe.
  • Safety - wear your seatbelts, helmets, protective gear as necessary. Have spotters if your going to make a record breaking jump over a dune. Put up your flags so we can tell where you are before it's too late. Turn those chase lights on if it's dusty.

That's all I can think of for now, but please, feel free to post any other Etiquette suggestions!

I sure do wish people would spread the word of not opening up and destroying Singletrack trails "to see where they go".

It's a tale as old as time, and before SxS's and "overlanders" quads were always an issue, but for the love of god man, the amount of trails ruined for specific groups of motorized use is sickening.

As OP said, there are plenty of trails. Tons of them. Let the Singletrack be, I assure you, you're missing out on nothing.

Welcome to the group, I didn't realize you were down in Las Cruces. Are you a member of the Las Cruces Four Wheel Drive Club?

Welcome to the group, I didn't realize you were down in Las Cruces. Are you a member of the Las Cruces Four Wheel Drive Club?

No, I'm not part of any clubs. I used to only have the SxS. When I get the 1-ton TJ running I'll probably link up.

71709e38-6673-4c96-91b4-16ce54232077.jpg

Anyone reading the above post, consider sending it to the new guys out and about. We're our own advocates. Good rules for not just our area, but all areas.

Top Back Refresh