What's new

Toyota 18mm bushing sleeves

Leatherhead_25

Wheeler
Member Number
Loc
Pistol City Va
Regular old 18mm bolts on aftermarket shackles. I'm tired of replacing spring/shackle bushings every year. Who sells sleeves for this size bolt? Orrrr what size bolt do i need to run to be able to have a metal sleeve for the spring and shackle bushing?

Reactions: Clb
I've been looking into this also. I was planning on getting a 9/16 ID sleeve and turning the OD to 18mm from 3/4. I would then still have to do weld washers on the shackles.

I know this doesn't help but that's my plan, unless someone has a energy suspension bushing that will work.

My energy suspension didn't last a year...:barf:
Watching.
Thanx slander

My energy suspension didn't last a year...:barf:
Watching.
Thanx slander
I just ordered a set. I was wondering what do do with these 18mm bolts and bushings and this thread got me googling!! Will be nice to have some standard hardware f/r.

Yea I'm going to research those hard.
I was thinking about trying a thin washer tween the shackle and bushing, to save the flange that wears out first.

Last edited:
I was looking at 18mm OD stainless 1.5mm thick tubing is about where one would want it to do 9/16 bolts. I just don't know how a stainless sleeve would work. Sounds potentially squeaky

Are you talking about the front spring shackles bushings on an SAS setup?

I never had issues with rears but fronts lasted only a couple of trips for me. Alignment wasn't an issue either. Just a bad design, no sleeve doesn't work especially with flexy springs. I even tried double nutting them so they weren't super tight...no dice.

I eventually had some delrin bushings made with a standard sized sleeve. That way they could be tight but also not destroy themselves with the delrin.

No squeaks, didn't lose any wheel travel, and the steering was super tight. Wish I did it years ago on that truck. Also beats replacing bushings all the time.

I had to do the same thing on my Suburban mostly because I have to run a taller shackle due to header clearance. They aren't lasting long due to the extra leverage and heat. Delrin saved the day.

IMG_20230801_193853802.jpg

Davez used to sell the delrin bushings. Is he still around?

Looks like we're in the same boat.
I need to get a length and start looking for a delrin replacement .
I'll be back with the info, if I do.

The set on my Suburban were made by a guy on eBay. If you search for custom Delrin bushings it will come up. I forget the price but they were very cheap, showed up exactly to what I spec'd, and were shipped in a day or two.

Be sure to measure the tube they are going in and not the bushing itself. Especially the sleeve OD and shoulder width. I did have a little file work to do to make them perfect which was my fault and not the vendor I used.

Reactions: Clb
Got my sky's sleeves, they look good and like, uhhh sleeves :laughing:! Looks like they would be easy to make on a lathe.
Just got mine as well, im trying to find some 3/4 OD Dom for the frame tube bushings. Slander im assuming you are gonna go with 9/16 bolts and weld washers?

Just got mine as well, im trying to find some 3/4 OD Dom for the frame tube bushings. Slander im assuming you are gonna go with 9/16 bolts and weld washers?
I don't use any weld washers on my shackles or spring hangars. Not saying that's good or not.

Back with some info. Probably did this the hard way but it turned out decent and cheap.

Found some 3/4 x 188 wall DOM tubing that i cut down to 4.25 inches for the Frame tube sleeves. I got my buddy to drill out the middle for a 9/16 bolt. He then machined the outside to slide into the frame tube bushings.

20240205_172415.jpg

20240205_172441.jpg

20240207_163314.jpg

20240207_163353.jpg

20240207_163232.jpg

Fits tight in that hole. The bolt size is 9/16x6 with plenty of thread left. I ditched my old tg shackles and grabbed a set from ruffstuff. I drilled the holes out for the 9/16 bolts.

For the spring eye i just used the provided sleeve you get with the bushing kit from Daystar or Summit racing.
20240208_134959.jpg

Back together again. Should have done this 10 years ago, definitely a no brainer.

20240208_135046 (1).jpg

Hope this helps someone

Attachments

• 20240208_135046 (1).jpg
    20240208_135046 (1).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
Awesome! I ended up not being able to use mine as the fj62 leafs I'm running are wider than the sleeves. My dumbass drills 18mm holes in the spring hangar and shackle then realized I could have just cut one down and run 2 sleeves in there to make up for the width:homer::homer::homer::laughing:

Top Back Refresh