What's new

Tow Rig / DD / Plow Rig Tires

Unfortunately 18s and 20s have the best load ratings for towing.

I'd just look for the highest load index or wieght rating you can find in your size.
Huh?

I’ve looked at the specs on many brands/styles. The highest load rating for a specific ply, factoring in widths and height, goes to 16s, then 17s. 18s and 20s fall several hundred of pounds lower per tire. I had thought about going to a larger diameter rim on my tow rig (mainly due to availability, 16s aren’t stocked like they used to be) but all the published specs said I should stay with 16s. Is there something I missed?

Huh?

I’ve looked at the specs on many brands/styles. The highest load rating for a specific ply, factoring in widths and height, goes to 16s, then 17s. 18s and 20s fall several hundred of pounds lower per tire. I had thought about going to a larger diameter rim on my tow rig (mainly due to availability, 16s aren’t stocked like they used to be) but all the published specs said I should stay with 16s. Is there something I missed?

You talking stock size like a 235/85r16 or 265/75r16 or larger?

From whatvive seen about the highest load rating for a pickup tire that's 35" or less is a 285/75r18 or 295/70r18 (and whatever is the equivalent in 20s) load index 129 and a wieght rating of 4080lbs ea. Higher than even the F rated 35x12.5r18s.

My 295/75r16s were 3950 lbs iirc. So not a huge difference, but I swear they were way more stable than my 285s with a 3750lb rating :confused:

You talking stock size like a 235/85r16 or 265/75r16 or larger?

From whatvive seen about the highest load rating for a pickup tire that's 35" or less is a 285/75r18 or 295/70r18 (and whatever is the equivalent in 20s) load index 129 and a wieght rating of 4080lbs ea. Higher than even the F rated 35x12.5r18s.

My 295/75r16s were 3950 lbs iirc. So not a huge difference, but I swear they were way more stable than my 285s with a 3750lb rating :confused:
285s. The 18s I looked at from several MFGRs were in the 3200# range while all the 16s were in the 3700# range. Seemed to be true from that size on down, no matter the make/type.
The 295-305-315s I looked at were all 65psi inflation pressures with a 31-3400# rating. Similar differential between 16-20 as I found on the 285-down tires. I wasn’t looking at just one brand/style either. I suppose there’s some out there though if you found them.
I’m guessing a lot of companies reduce capacity (meaning stiffness and load capacity) chasing ride on lower aspect ratio tires?

285s. The 18s I looked at from several MFGRs were in the 3200# range while all the 16s were in the 3700# range. Seemed to be true from that size on down, no matter the make/type.
The 295-305-315s I looked at were all 65psi inflation pressures with a 31-3400# rating. Similar differential between 16-20 as I found on the 285-down tires. I wasn’t looking at just one brand/style either. I suppose there’s some out there though if you found them.
I’m guessing a lot of companies reduce capacity (meaning stiffness and load capacity) chasing ride on lower aspect ratio tires?

The problem is that one guy has 18s on a jeep wranger and, like you mentioned, complains the ride is too stiff. The next wants some decent mud tires for his one ton that he pulls equipment with.

But ya, to me E rated doesn't mean shit to me anymore. There is D rated 37s that will hold like 4200, while an e rated 235 is like 3200. So I pay attention to load rating and max pressure.🤷

The other side of that coin is that the average 16" tire is more likely to be sold someone who owns the vans but isn't riding in the vans and doesn't care how it rides so the manufacturers jack up the pressure in order to get more load out of it and sell more tires.

If they did that with a 18 or 20 some SoFried or CarterKraft type would be bitching about the ride quality in their unloaded dually.

I'm going to give the Toyo RT Trail a shot this go round in a 37/12.5/17 E rated tire. supposedly have a 45K Treadwear warranty..
Found them for 403 each online.

Huh?

Find a 129 load rating in a 17” in a 35” size. Can’t be done. 18 and 20” - easy

I'm going to give the Toyo RT Trail a shot this go round in a 37/12.5/17 E rated tire. supposedly have a 45K Treadwear warranty..
Found them for 403 each online.

Still only a 65 psi tire.

How heavy are you hauling? Or is it mostly just DD stuff that's wearing them out?

35x12.5r17 10 ply duratracs. Very happy with them. Discount on Goodyear & Kelly tires through USAA. Seem to be lasting well. Slight cupping when I had a screwed up alignment. Tow 4k probably 20x a year.
7E574A30-C838-4E3D-9FD1-ACEE5185E276.png

Edit, I think this pic is before I put the OME leaf springs in and had a broken leaf. Hence the sag/squat.

35x12.5r17 10 ply duratracs. Very happy with them. Discount on Goodyear & Kelly tires through USAA. Seem to be lasting well. Slight cupping when I had a screwed up alignment. Tow 4k probably 20x a year.
7E574A30-C838-4E3D-9FD1-ACEE5185E276.png

Edit, I think this pic is before I put the OME leaf springs in and had a broken leaf. Hence the sag/squat.

Hate those tires. Mine have 12k miles and already loud AF.

Will be replaced with Falkens long before the tread wears out on the Goodyears

I noticed a while back that guys who live way up north and drive in snow half the year love them. Guys who don't wear them out in short order :laughing:

I noticed a while back that guys who live way up north and drive in snow half the year love them. Guys who don't wear them out in short order :laughing:
Neighbor had two sets. One on a Tacoma, one on an fj. When they started getting loud, I could hear them almost a mile away.

I hated the nearly new duratracs on my half ton suburban, I put them on and it was an instant mistake, handled like a car on the worn out coopers it came with, wandered like a turd.
They looked cool, had good traction, cupped out when with rotating.

New bfg ats were way quieter and rode great, moved them to the sequoia when I sold the burb, they've gotta be knocking on 70k, the fronts are done, the rears are 40%

Also bfgs on the 2500hd

I've been a bfg at fanboi since 98ish, I dont see anything better for my uses

If/ when I decide on a milder tire I'd look at Falken, iirc they still do the 3ply sidewalls

So my latest set of General Grabber ATx are at 25k miles after 1.25 years. still have legal tread on them, but they aren't going to make the winter I don't think. Did notice this little gem this morning (Although I this might be the tire I put a questionable plug & patch in):
1684760110762.png

I hated the nearly new duratracs on my half ton suburban, I put them on and it was an instant mistake, handled like a car on the worn out coopers it came with, wandered like a turd.
They looked cool, had good traction, cupped out when with rotating.

New bfg ats were way quieter and rode great, moved them to the sequoia when I sold the burb, they've gotta be knocking on 70k, the fronts are done, the rears are 40%

Also bfgs on the 2500hd

I've been a bfg at fanboi since 98ish, I dont see anything better for my uses

If/ when I decide on a milder tire I'd look at Falken, iirc they still do the 3ply sidewalls

You talking bfg ko2 and Falken at3? I had both at the same time and the bfg was definitely the more mild tread fwiw.

Sucks those at3s got popular, I think I paid like $750 for 4 285s shipped. Now they're about $2k for the same tires :homer:

Edit: maybe not 2k, but still way more :laughing:

Last edited:
Anybody tried the bfg hd terrains yet? I keep seeing propaganda at the various places I frequent on my phone.

Anybody tried the bfg hd terrains yet? I keep seeing propaganda at the various places I frequent on my phone.
are you talking about these? I was looking at those too. I wonder how they would do with mostly highway but towing heavy. Need the rougher tread for the occasional off pavement/pasture duties

are you talking about these? I was looking at those too. I wonder how they would do with mostly highway but towing heavy. Need the rougher tread for the occasional off pavement/pasture duties

Those are the ones. I’m wondering the same things you are.

Those are the ones. I’m wondering the same things you are.
I have Goodyear Ultraterrains on it now. I think they are a Discount Tire exclusive tire. They have done pretty well but they are about done. Rotated them front to rear and the front are pretty well done. Down to the wear bars, still track well but the traction when it's wet and off pavement is suffering. Pulling my dump trailer loaded heavy really wore them down.

I have Duratracs on my Tacoma and have over 80k on them but they are pretty cupped even with regular rotation and are loud AF now. The rubber compound is pretty hard now and even my V6 Tacoma can break them loose at will on wet pavement.

I ran a set on a 2500 Dodge diesel. They didn't last very long, don't think I even got 35k out of them. Mostly either empty or towing a ~15,000lb trailer.

Nice thing about the 235/85r16s is they are fairly cheap. I put a set on my F350, they were under 1k for the 6.

Found the problem.

Screen Shot 2023-05-22 at 9.08.31 AM.png

Maybe stop running rubber bands on :mr-t: rims and you'll get a sidewall to last. :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:
It's a 34 on a stock Lariat wheel, take your :flipoff2: elsewhere.

:flipoff2:

Also upon further inspection, it is the result of me installing a questionable plug.

Last edited:

I could see those holing up much better for that application than ko2s.

Similar application the cooper at3 xlt. Which I'm curious about, but still hesitant with my past cooper experience.

Iirc, Lincoln had a set? Anyone else?

I only have about 7500 miles on the coopers, almost towing and or loaded heavy. Tread looks good but the still pick up a fair amount of gravel, After having them rotated I did pick up a small amount of shake.

They are way more stable than the michelins they replaced. It's hard to compare with my last pickup since overall this one doesn't handle weight as well but I do believe these handle weight better than the Nitto HT (siped) or the Goodyear Silent Armor I ran in the past. Just seat if the pants and temps based on testing with a hand.

In snow all three are pretty good.

In mud all three we about the same. Not great but not horrible. The Nitto has to be siped though.

I've got 30k on the Maxxis RZR AT on my F150. Wearing very well and rotated every 10k. I'll be getting a new set once these are done. I'm guessing I'll get at least 50k out of them. 275/70/18E

IMG_20221230_151106920_HDR.jpg

I recently saw those too and am thinking I might give them a try on the K2500. I've run BFG ATs and MTs over the years, but the KO2s just haven't been giving me the lifespan on the K2500 that I got in the past.

BFG.jpg

I looked around for reviews, but there isn't that much out there yet. I did find this news release and the following quote spoke to me about the chipping I was experiencing: BFGoodrich launches HD-Terrain T/A® KT tire for the toughest jobs in extreme conditions

“While the work environment can be demanding on vehicles, most of today’s tire options are not designed to resist high torque and extreme chipping and tearing but instead are designed for recreational off-road vehicles and applications,” said Stephen Peters, BFGoodrich brand director. “The BFGoodrich HD-Terrain T/A KT tire fills a void in the market. Our offer is purposely built for consumers who want a longer-lasting tire even if they drive heavy-duty trucks.”

[edit] Hopefully, by the time I'm ready for a new set of tires some of the magazines will have done tire tests on them.

Last edited:
I put 285-75-17 Toyo RT trail on my 07 Duramax 2 months ago. So far I like them. Haven't towed heavy yet. Replaced 7 year old Exo Grapplers.
So they will dry rot before I wear them out. Needed the hopeful extra mud traction.

Top Back Refresh