What's new

Tdi rhd jimny build

cadman929

Member Number
So i picked up a rhd jimny with a bad motor for $1700 and traded one of my woods beater samurais for a tdi swapped project. It just so happens i have a built ford 9” and passenger drop dana 44…
Anyways ill let the pics do the talking…

IMG_0704.jpeg
IMG_0518.jpeg
IMG_0510.jpeg
IMG_1052.jpeg
IMG_1187.jpeg
IMG_1190.jpeg
IMG_1425.jpeg
IMG_1428.jpeg

Got one side of the frame cleaned up and ready for the dr.z frame plates and shock towers. I swear an hour a day is all it takes to get shit done every little bit of progress counts even if it’s just a cleanup and organize the shop day.
IMG_1515.jpeg
IMG_1516.jpeg

Didnt get much done after work lastnight but Finished cutting all the junk off the frame. Also a yj rear bumper lines up with two of the factory bolt holes on the sami frame so thats pretty cool. Also they fit the body perfectly. Ill post some pics of that once i get the body on the frame
IMG_1627.jpeg

IMG_1658.jpeg
IMG_1663.jpeg
IMG_1662.jpeg
Started working on the rear rhodes racing housing and started looking at how the steering box will fit. Im going to cut out the factory frame crossmember tube and box in from the front of the frame rails with 2x4 rec tube. The steering shaft will have to be right where the center of that tube is. But the ifs toyota steering box inside the right frame rail seems to be the move.

Was making good progress on the link mounts/frame plates before i ran outve gas for my welder🙃 been slowly plodding along cleaning stuff up for paint cutting nonused factory brackets off etc gotta tackle the frame plates for the inside of the front rails and build new motor mounts next so i can get the steering box and panhard all mounted up. Also with summits sale on low range and trailqueer parts i couldnt pass up the rock sliders/rocker gaurds
IMG_2019.jpeg
IMG_2007.jpeg
IMG_1981.jpeg
IMG_1980.jpeg
IMG_1993.jpeg

And yes i know my welds arent perfect but ive been really struggling with my vision it’s better now that i got glasses but tough to get used too. I guess i need to stop beating off so much because it seems to be making me go blind😂😂

And yes i know my welds arent perfect but ive been really struggling with my vision it’s better now that i got glasses but tough to get used too. I guess i need to stop beating off so much because it seems to be making me go blind😂😂
Try running a cheater lens inside your helmet. You could ditch the glasses as the lens mounts inside your helmet, a lot more comfortable.

Or just cut back on beating off. :flipoff2:

Welds look good btw.

Thanks man, i got real bad compound astigmatism so gonna try to find a perscription lens for inside my hood. One eyes near the other is far. Its about as homo as she gets

IMG_2390.jpeg
Engine out to redo the “motor mounts” the previous owner built. As well as inner frame plates
IMG_2391.jpeg
IMG_2392.jpeg
IMG_2393.jpeg
superb penetration on those “welds”
IMG_2395.jpeg
getting things cleaned up
IMG_2403.jpeg
front end sitting on its own weight minus the panhard bar.
IMG_2404.jpeg
IMG_2408.jpeg

Well unfortunately didnt get too much done on my night off, but i got the rear leafs and shackles painted as well as test fitted the 14” kings i had laying around. Im definitely going to have to change the shock towers but luckily i have a set of daves offroad ones laying around from another build. I think im going to go with 150/150 springs as a starting point. Just gotta finish up the t case mount and o can rip everything off flip it over finish weld and paint then start final assembly. Im going to leave the front of the frame bare as motor mounts etc have to be done once the bodys on the frame.
IMG_2530.jpeg
IMG_2531.jpeg
sitting at desired ride height and shocks are at full bump so gotta raise the mounts up but im going to make them work!

Built the rear t case bracket after work monday, burned it in tuesday, cleaned the shop up wednsday, got my wheels after work thismorning. Just about ready to strip it all down finish weld and paint the frame
IMG_2619.jpeg
IMG_2618.jpeg
IMG_2621.jpeg
IMG_2623.jpeg
IMG_2676.jpeg
IMG_2723.jpeg

IMG_2773.jpeg

Had to move the steering box further forward so cut the frame off and redid it
IMG_2776.jpeg
IMG_2774.jpeg
IMG_2778.jpeg

Dana 50 vs 44 factory yokes a very cheap or in my case free upgrade
IMG_2783.jpeg
IMG_2781.jpeg
IMG_2784.jpeg
IMG_2785.jpeg
IMG_2832.jpeg

Found out yj and samurai tubs share the same contour so thats cool looks like shell be getting full 1/4 panel armor also heres a picture of it one last time before i pull the body off😂🤌🏻
IMG_2955.jpeg
IMG_2956.jpeg
IMG_2934.jpeg

Well still working 6 12’s with zero free time so i took a sick day to get some shit done. Not that it really matters hut always remember to make time for what you love not excuses. I built both my buggy “carport the s&n bravo build” and this working 72hrs a week one hour at a time after work. I started on the rear housing, using a rhodes 9” housing, torino big bearing ends, 60”wms going to be getting explorer rear disk setup from quick performance to retain a cable parking brake
IMG_2996.jpeg
IMG_2995.jpeg

IMG_2992.jpeg
Poser shot with the wheel/tire package before i yard the body off.
Finish welding the front 1/2 of the frame.
IMG_2984.jpeg
IMG_2983.jpeg

Mmmm so fresh and shiny

Always wear your saftey beard in the shop! I looked at this disk and was like damn she looks dodgey oh well ill use it then toss it, triming a corner of my spring perch and she gernaded and got caught in my beard and smoked my glasses🤣 Some how i didnt take a picture of the final product but i got the springs new bushings in and hung them then got perches/u bolt eliminators tacked and built a strap to tie the truss together.
IMG_3170.jpeg
IMG_3168.jpeg
IMG_3169.jpeg
IMG_3175.jpeg

Sub’d I have a tube chassis and a 05 TDI with the body/ suspension needing some love. Plan is to use the TDI in the tube chassis. But other rigs need to be finished first and I need a shop before I get there. :homer:

Well ended up with a short shift monday night so i raced home and pulled the body off and set it on the new frame now i can finish up the front suspension and bumper
IMG_3217.jpeg
IMG_3213.jpeg
random v8 radiator i had from a 351 swapped cj5 should work great
IMG_3214.jpeg
IMG_3209.jpeg
id like to say i meant for things to line up this perfectly but it was pure luck😂
IMG_3196.jpeg
shaking hands with danger stacking tires under the gantry to get the body off😂
IMG_3246.jpeg

I built my buggy in a costco tent you just gotta want it
More the timing, got the other Blazer I need to wait to finish then rebuild my crawler. Hopefully in the fall I’ll be moving closer to building a house/ shop. I got a chassis and motor so far :flipoff2:

Did you follow anything specific for the motor swap? Tech article, or just went at it.

More the timing, got the other Blazer I need to wait to finish then rebuild my crawler. Hopefully in the fall I’ll be moving closer to building a house/ shop. I got a chassis and motor so far :flipoff2:

Did you follow anything specific for the motor swap? Tech article, or just went at it.
Theres nothing i could find about it in a jimny, but it is an extremley common and supported swap. Im running acme components, doomsdale diesel components, random shit i had and a fast forward automotive harness. 90% of the swap stuff was in the yellow sami i traded the beater $600 one for. But a all fab work to get in was ghetto as all get out.

On a whim on my way home today i decided to stop at my grandpas have coffee and visit for an hour. But it was the best decision i couldve made. Since i never get to visit working 12’s. After that i boogied home did some clean up in the shop. But like i say time and time again anything in the shop no matter how big or small of a task is huge.
IMG_3268.jpeg

Checking wb and fender cut line
IMG_3286.jpeg

IMG_3283.jpeg
Sadly wont stay this clean too long
IMG_3280.jpeg

Got the axle slung under to finish the front suspension, gotta move the panhard to the leftside, do shock towers and bumpstops
IMG_3282.jpeg

Top Back Refresh