What's new

SxS general discussion thread

Tin Roof

Rusted
Member Number
Loc
Iowa
I figured I'd start a thread for random general discussion in case anyone has something that doesn't fit in an existing thread, or don't feel like what they want to discuss warrants a new thread. Kind of a GCC thread for the SxS/UTV guys.

I picked up a new 2-seat Commander XTP last fall and have my '21 Commander max xt 4-seat for sale. I've had a fair amount of interest in it, but there's one guy that offered to trade me for his '21 x3 DS turbo 2-seat with 1600 miles on it. I really don't need 2 machines, but the kid in me likes the thought of having a 200hp turbo unit for trail riding.... :laughing:

I'm thinking similar bad thoughts. Keep the 50" MavT and get a 2 seat x3 equivalent to accompany it.
If I need 4 seats Ill just take both rigs.

I'm not a 4 seat fan...

I am struggling with a similar dilema. Got rid of my sxs last year because it was used way too little. Now I am thinking hard about getting another. The x3 2 seat turbo seems like a great option, but it is hard to make a final decision.

What is overwhelming is the concern of maint and repair costs. My jeep is used for the dunes and trails. I run the piss out of it and repairs are cheap because it is a basic chevy 5.3 drivetrain.

If I get a sxs I would want to run trails (fire trails, orv trails etc.) with it in Michigan and surrounding states. Reliability is one of my primary concerns.

SHARP We are still loving our KRX for trail riding. Cant wait to see what the 2025 looks like, supposedly a supercharged one per the dealer meeting this week. Might put off the supercharger on ours and see what 2025 has to offer.

I'm thinking similar bad thoughts. Keep the 50" MavT and get a 2 seat x3 equivalent to accompany it.
If I need 4 seats Ill just take both rigs.

I'm not a 4 seat fan...
My 4 seat feels like a stretch limo on trails. My wife doesn't ride very much anymore so it's usually just me and our daughter or a grandkid or friend. I like the 2 seat a lot better. Same scenario, if I need 4 seats I'd take both rigs.

I absolutely agree! I was completely focused on the krx until my sledding buddy talked about getting one also. Now I am struggling to decide. While I do not need or want to copy him, I will need one that can run similar trail speeds to him. Our snowmobile trail speeds are ridiculously fast. lol

I ordered a Maxdrive power flip windshield for my commander today. I have a wiper kit that I’m hoping will work with it. The cheap poly windshield it came with blocks the dash compartments from opening enough to be useful.

I REALLY want a KRX but don't actually need one. I'm a big fan of this color combo in particular....

65e951c05dd3fd129f2b650a.jpg

:smokin:

Last edited:
So i want my 9 year old to be able to drive one but he is way too short to reach the pedals on our KRX. I am not sure i want to buy a RZR 170. Which SXS works for short folks?

So i want my 9 year old to be able to drive one but he is way too short to reach the pedals on our KRX. I am not sure i want to buy a RZR 170. Which SXS works for short folks?
How tall is he? A friend of mine is short, maybe 5’-6”, and his rzr 800 fits him well.

I’ve got a KRX just like the one SLOWPOKE pictured. Overall, I love it. Everything from slow crawling to holding it to the mat at 67mph at KOH. It’s definitely not a race car but I believe it’s one of the best trail rigs for the money. I live in WV and the trails are all tight and slow so the big power and top speed isn’t a really big deal. The suspension is awesome and confidence inspiring while having a very smooth ride. Be ready to do a few mods to “Bullet Proof” it but that comes with any of the machines.

NEVERLIFT has a 2014 rzr 800s for sale. It’s currently stored at my house and I can get pics for you and more details. It’s in good shape overall for its age. If you’re interested shoot me a text or DM.

Reactions: DMG
NEVERLIFT has a 2014 rzr 800s for sale. It’s currently stored at my house and I can get pics for you and more details. It’s in good shape overall for its age. If you’re interested shoot me a text or DM.
Thankmyou but Im not sure I want another RZR

I’ve got a KRX just like the one SLOWPOKE pictured. Overall, I love it. Everything from slow crawling to holding it to the mat at 67mph at KOH. It’s definitely not a race car but I believe it’s one of the best trail rigs for the money. I live in WV and the trails are all tight and slow so the big power and top speed isn’t a really big deal. The suspension is awesome and confidence inspiring while having a very smooth ride. Be ready to do a few mods to “Bullet Proof” it but that comes with any of the machines.

What are the things needed to bullet proof a KRX? I'd want one strictly for trail riding with the wife, nothing hardcore at all. All you guys posting pictures of bad ass scenic trail rides that are close enough for us to enjoy are starting to get to me. Racing is fun as hell but not all that relaxing. :laughing:

What are the things needed to bullet proof a KRX? I'd want one strictly for trail riding with the wife, nothing hardcore at all. All you guys posting pictures of bad ass scenic trail rides that are close enough for us to enjoy are starting to get to me. Racing is fun as hell but not all that relaxing. :laughing:
Skid plates, fuel tank rollover valve, something needs to be done with the shock reservoir end caps. There’s a bunch of reinforcements available but I’m not convinced it’s needed. A bunch of little stuff like that. The clutch weights seem to be an issue as well. Like any machine, it’s got its own personality.

This is exactly why we got the KRX, relaxing rides. We ran 50+ miles yesterday, just chilling in the woods.

The factory trans skid is super flimsy. Thin enough to bend it into the case as crack the trans. Steel and aluminum options, it’s simple enough to make yourself. I added the 1/2” thick fully belly skid just for added insurance,

The check valve on the gas tank vent helps a ton. My first couple of fill ups the tank had so much pressure it literally popped the cap out of my hand when I took it off.

I did add the extra bracing at the shock and an arm mounts but like a racer said I’m not convinced it’s needed. Schraders on reservoirs are needed.

We ran a couple of black trails yesterday and it’s surprisingly capable with the 31s. Crawled right up some stuff I’ve watched tjs on 37s struggle on. Not what I got it for though.

They are pretty robust right off the showroom. For general trail riding I couldn’t be more pleased.

Attachments

• IMG_9825.jpeg
    IMG_9825.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 8
I ordered harnesses, a power flip windshield, and a Tusk cargo rack for my Commander. I ride in the rain fairly often and the cab of the Commander gets hot so having a windshield and being able to open it is a must for me. Our daughter wants to drive it more often and I'll feel a lot better with her in a harness instead of the factory belts. The cargo rack will make it a lot easier to load up for hunting or going shooting at the lease. I run out of cargo box space fast, especially when there's a deer in it. :laughing: Plus that will give me a good mounting spot for the fire extinguisher.

If I were to buy a SxS, I'd lean heavily toward the KRX as they just seem beefier than the others, especially for my "leaf looking" type of riding around.

Biggest issue I've got with the KRX is the location of the parking brake doesn't appear to allow a bump seat to be installed for our little dude to ride along. I don't want/need a 4-seater so that's where the bump seat would come into play.

If I were to buy a SxS, I'd lean heavily toward the KRX as they just seem beefier than the others, especially for my "leaf looking" type of riding around.

Biggest issue I've got with the KRX is the location of the parking brake doesn't appear to allow a bump seat to be installed for our little dude to ride along. I don't want/need a 4-seater so that's where the bump seat would come into play.
sounds like you do need a 4 seater since you can't put a bump seat in the 2 seater and your little buddy is only going to get bigger. :flipoff2:

Reactions: DMG
sounds like you do need a 4 seater since you can't put a bump seat in the 2 seater and your little buddy is only going to get bigger. :flipoff2:
Ain't that the truth! I dislike how long the true 4-seaters are overall. I know the Teryx came in a short 4-seater for awhile, as well as the Honda Pioneer being a short 4-seater too.

Just spending imaginary money right now :lmao:

Ain't that the truth! I dislike how long the true 4-seaters are overall. I know the Teryx came in a short 4-seater for awhile, as well as the Honda Pioneer being a short 4-seater too.

Just spending imaginary money right now :lmao:
I had a Teryx4 and it really was a great size

Top Back Refresh