What's new

Suspension Seats Rehupholstered?

559Fj40

Red Skull Member
ST4x4
Member Number
Loc
Coarsegold
Has anybody here ever had their suspension seats (PRP, Corbeu, etc..) recovered? I have had some PRP daily drivers for 3 years now and while they have been super comfortable, they are practically disintegrating. I got into contact with PRP a few months ago and the best they could do is charge me more than what I paid for originally. I am not super interested in giving PRP more of my money if the seats only last a few years. I am going to call around to some local shops (Bay Area) and get some input but figured I'd post up on here as well to see if anyone has gone down this road or if the seats just die and you get new ones.

IMG_0282.jpg

There were sellers on ebay offering seat covers for I believe race-trim brand seats a while back, but I don't see them now. If the current covers are not too far gone, most upolstery shops can take them apart and get pretty accurate templates from them then make what ever you want. I'm just not sure on what a price would be, have not had this done in nearly 10 years.

My local guy in San Jose redid mine. Came out nice, but was getting close to price of new without tax and shipping. I want to say around $350-400

Mine were older than that and I was not exactly sure who made them. PRP thought they were theirs, but they wanted me to ship them and it would have been more than new.

I redid mine because I had already made the mounts and did not want to redo them.

My local guy in San Jose redid mine. Came out nice, but was getting close to price of new without tax and shipping. I want to say around $350-400

Mine were older than that and I was not exactly sure who made them. PRP thought they were theirs, but they wanted me to ship them and it would have been more than new.

I redid mine because I had already made the mounts and did not want to redo them.
Who is your guy in San Jose? Not wanting to redo mounts is another reason for wanting to get these re done.

odd PRP didnt offer to sell covers at a good price. i was at the plant before KOH and the sales guy was pushing hard how they provide support for all products. didnt ask what covers cost but it seemed to be something they take pride in having.

Who is your guy in San Jose? Not wanting to redo mounts is another reason for wanting to get these re done.
Wade at Toupals. 408 449 1700 Tell him Mark with the Vista Cruiser gave you his digits. He works out of a barn off the old Piercy Road by Bernal and 85.

That's sad, they used to do replacement covers pretty cheap.
odd PRP didnt offer to sell covers at a good price. i was at the plant before KOH and the sales guy was pushing hard how they provide support for all products. didnt ask what covers cost but it seemed to be something they take pride in having.
I’ve reached out again because the initial person that responded awhile back told me a recover isn’t worth it and I should get a new seat. Then the discounted price on a new seat was more than what I’d pay going through a prp dealer. So that soured me a bit. When I did get an invoice on a new cover, by the time I get the seat to Southern California I’d be about the cost of a new one. Overall I love what they do and love the options they have.

If I could go back in time maybe I’d just get different materials. Maybe the tweed just can’t handle the Central California heat and sun.

I've talked to PRP a couple of times for new covers and while I don't remember the exact cost, it seemed reasonable. My PRP seats that I bought in 2006 are still running the original covers; they have some minor tears, but still look pretty good

by the time I get the seat to Southern California I’d be about the cost of a new one. Overall I love what they do and love the options they have.

Why ship the seats to them? Just get the covers and do them yourself, they are pretty easy to do.

My courbous (sp) have been sitting out in the weather for 9 years or so and while ugly are still mostly fine

Why ship the seats to them? Just get the covers and do them yourself, they are pretty easy to do.
They told me I’d have to shop the seat back to get a new cover. I understand it’s easy to take them on and off.
Because he thinks that this :

1708116265629.png

Is :
I can send a video of it turning to dust in my hand if you’d like?

Wade at Toupals. 408 449 1700 Tell him Mark with the Vista Cruiser gave you his digits. He works out of a barn off the old Piercy Road by Bernal and 85.
Which barn? The old house at Hellyer and Piercy just got torn down last week.

They told me I’d have to shop the seat back to get a new cover. I understand it’s easy to take them on and off.

I can send a video of it turning to dust in my hand if you’d like?
Mine are the same condition. I just throw a towel over them.

A cheap option would be just fitting a Mexican blanket to them?

Mine are the same condition. I just throw a towel over them.

A cheap option would be just fitting a Mexican blanket to them?
Yeah it’s really not a huge deal, was just interested in hearing if anyone had their seats redone by anybody else but the manufacturer. I’ll get some quotes and if everything is close to new seat prices I’ll keep running these until they are worse than the 50 year old Toyota seats they replaced.

I was going to go with gray, but he had just enough extra of these materials in stock.

IMG_4492.jpeg

Id guess a boat shop could do them too? See those seats makes me wonder if I should have gone all vinyl.

Top Back Refresh