What's new

Squarebody question

plym49.2

Sasquatch49.2
Member Number
What's the distance from the firewall to the core support on a squarebody? 1982 if it matters.

37 ⅜ from flat part to core support
1000002316.jpg

40 ¾ from recessed center to core support

1000002315.jpg

Thank you!

This is getting patched together without stock front fenders (might flat fender it).

20220115_163224.jpg

Trying to install a stright 8 in it?
Had a nice '54 Pontiac straight eight. Even found a '39 Pontiac flywheel, clutch, and bellhousing. Had been collecting parts for a period go-job. Ended up giving all of it to a buddy of mine.

I have wanted to get an idea of where it should be since I have a core support but no other front end sheet metal. Have a pair of Deuce headlight panels that I'll graft up front.

I have no money to put into this. Will likely throw together a SBC from old parts on hand. Gotta find a bellhousing, flywheel and clutch, though. Keeping my eye out.

Where are you located? I have shitty front clip you can have. It's complete just beat up.

Appreciate the offers!! I'm just NE of Austin.

I am not picky about any of the parts - as long as they will bolt up.

The truck came with a V8 diesel and someone swapped in a gasoline 6 and then all of that was taken, too. It still has the NP465 and it is mechanical linkage.

I have an old 350 TBI crate long block motor and a mid-60s 307. Ideally I'll use the 350. I have an old cast iron Qjet manifold and figure I can scrounge a carb.

Intentions are to get this thing running. Ugly is fine; in fact preferable.

More pix.

IMG_7249.JPEG
IMG_6951.JPEG
IMG_6959.JPEG

Tbi one piece rear main seal flywheel is different than the older two piece rear main seal flywheel, mine is the old one. Shipping might make it not worth while though :homer:.

What bellhousings do you need?

I have spare mech 465 alum housings.
That would probably work, no?
Tbi one piece rear main seal flywheel is different than the older two piece rear main seal flywheel, mine is the old one. Shipping might make it not worth while though :homer:.
Did not know that. Never done anything with a manual on a 1 piece seal motor.
Correct but they all still bolt together with the same bell and clutch, just need the 1p flywheel.
:) That's good!

Scored some stuff today that gets me a little closer.

A complete 350 w/ Quadrajet from an '86 C10. Truck had an interior fire and was being parted out.

Also got a steering column end-to-end. Wheel and upper housing are crispy but will Roloc them smooth and it will work. Lower door hingers, motor mounts, new master and booster, bunch of odds and ends. $300 for all.

This keeps me in the two-piece rear seal ecosystem, which makes me happy.

Still need a bellhousing, flywheel, clutch and clutch linkage.

Like i said, i have a spare mech housing you can have.

I do know where some hydro ones are but youll have to pay for them.

I also know where a z bar is but idk if the guy will ship it.
The linkages can be made with all thread and some ebay hiems.

Pm me.

The motor I got is a 350 from a 1986 C10. 2WD. It has a Quadrajet and AIR injection.

Anyone know anything about this motor? Decent heads, whatever.

It should have the goofy 2 angle intake bolts but old style vale covers. It shold be 2p seal but its right on the cusp.
Should have the elec qjet so throw that out and drop a reg one on it.

86 is a shitty half breed year where the old sbc is going aeay and the tbi is coming.

It should have the goofy 2 angle intake bolts but old style vale covers. It shold be 2p seal but its right on the cusp.
Should have the elec qjet so throw that out and drop a reg one on it.

86 is a shitty half breed year where the old sbc is going aeay and the tbi is coming.
It does have the old style valve covers. If I pull the flex plate, I can eyeball a 1 or 2 piece seal, correct?

The Qjet does have a couple of wires going into it. Have to look closer.

Also seems to have a knock sensor at the lower right side of the block - right in front of the starter.

Is this 350 as anemic in terms of breathing as the early TBI 350s?

It does have the old style valve covers. If I pull the flex plate, I can eyeball a 1 or 2 piece seal, correct?

The Qjet does have a couple of wires going into it. Have to look closer.

Also seems to have a knock sensor at the lower right side of the block - right in front of the starter.

Is this 350 as anemic in terms of breathing as the early TBI 350s?
Tbi's where much better motors and the quality of the fuel injection was most of it .

Theyre basical the old 175hp sbc but with a stupid fuck carb.

A striped qjet is a great carb. 795 cfm on sbc. You just get to get the extra stupid controls off them. That qjet isnt that though, idk if you can even run it with out that shit.

Like i said, i have a spare mech housing you can have.

I do know where some hydro ones are but youll have to pay for them.

I also know where a z bar is but idk if the guy will ship it.
The linkages can be made with all thread and some ebay hiems.

Pm me.
PM sent.

I have a '86 blazer engine and it has a one piece rear main seal. I didn't know that until just now when I checked.
Yup, and I peeked behind the flex plate and this one is a 1 piece seal as well.

Qjet question: the choke plate is free as is the throttle linkage. But the secondary air plates are won't move. Do they only open with vacuum signal, or should I be able to move them by hand?

Have not had a Qjet on a motor since the 70s.

Yup, and I peeked behind the flex plate and this one is a 1 piece seal as well.

Qjet question: the choke plate is free as is the throttle linkage. But the secondary air plates are won't move. Do they only open with vacuum signal, or should I be able to move them by hand?

Have not had a Qjet on a motor since the 70s.
That should be vacuum secondaries.

I took some more pictures today for you.
1000039509.jpg

Two piece rear main seal on top, one piece rear main seal on bottom.
Mine is def the one-piece. Does the 2 piece have external balancing on the crank? Is that a reason why the flywheels are different? Also looks like a different bolt pattern.

Mine is def the one-piece. Does the 2 piece have external balancing on the crank? Is that a reason why the flywheels are different? Also looks like a different bolt pattern.
The two piece crank balances differently than the one piece. I don't know if the bolt patterns are different.

Tbi's where much better motors and the quality of the fuel injection was most of it .

Theyre basical the old 175hp sbc but with a stupid fuck carb.

A striped qjet is a great carb. 795 cfm on sbc. You just get to get the extra stupid controls off them. That qjet isnt that though, idk if you can even run it with out that shit.
He doesn’t need 795 cfm on a stock 350. A 406 barely uses 600 cfm.

Top Back Refresh