What's new

Spinoff - Bulkhead Disconnect Weatherproof connectors

kf4zht

Red Skull Member
Member Number
I'm coming across the need for some outdoor bulkhead style (aka panel mount) connectors. Mostly 2-4 pin, will be only connected when devices are in use. What are y'alls preference

For higher amperage stuff the anderson ones work well. For small the little powerpoles are pretty meh. Less room for the self wiping gunk and the panel mounts are really pricy for what they are

There are DT connectors, but I don't like there isnt a sealing cover/plug when not in use, seems for more permantant connections. https://www.delcity.net/store/Deutsch-DT-Flange-Receptacles-&-Gaskets/p_919324.h_919326

A ton of bulkhead SAE connectors are out there, they are cheap, easy and you can get replacements at TSC if needed Amazon.com

There are a ton of these chinese connectors. Amazon.com but I'm concerned about future availabilty and having to solder the pins instead of crimp is annoying.

What do yall use and prefer. I'd like to stock a few sizes I need for projects with spares

There are deutsch covers, we had them on our salt trucks for summer use.

Two styles below at te.com:

Edit: Delcity link

Deutsch DT and Amphenol AT connectors are intermateable and the latter may be easier to source (they are for me, up in Canada, anyways). Both will have, like someone else posted above, dustcap options. For Amphenol, use the part number (e.g. AT06-4S) and then add -CAP on the end. Makes em easy to find.

For whichever connector you choose, be aware of the "mating cycles". DT and AT have about 100 cycles before you may run into issues, which is not very high. This number is fairly consistent across all connectors that use this type of contact (e.g. the DT, DTM, DTP, HD30, etc. Deutsch and A series Amphenol parts families). I believe you'll encounter poorer sealing ability before you start getting a worse connection, though.

For bulkhead connectors that are constantly added or removed, the AHDP/AHDM/HD30 connectors are nice with their bayonet design. When I buy them from Newark, they ship with a dust cover.

If you need high mating cycles and high power, something like the ATHD can be a better replacement for Anderson type connectors. Andersons are nice because they self-clean though.

Don't be afraid of the chinese M20 connectors becoming obsolete. M20 (and the smaller M12's) are standardized and many brands make them all the way from mil-spec (Harting and Glenair) to Alibaba-spec. They come in thread-on and push-pull varieties. They should all fit together. Solder connectors may not be great for a high vibration environment or if you have poor strain relief, though.

If you want the absolute premium connectors, D38999 would be the way to go.

Just an FYI if you’re looking at those flanged DR connectors, they’re not waterproof. The flange is plastic welded to the connector, but not 100%, so you can see daylight.
DT4P-L012-GKT gasket will make those flanged ones dustproof and kinda waterproof... Splash-proof I guess.

Truly waterproof would be AT04-XP-PM, where X is the number of contacts. Nice silicone seal on those.

Top Back Refresh