What's new

Smokers, grills, etc.

20 year old Costco converted to natural gas,
Thing is falling apart, it heats uneven, it flares up, but I refuse to replace it.

Carne Asada.

20220525_162050.jpg
20220525_163101.jpg

i cant bring myself to go electric smoker. or even the cheater electrically controlled pellet smokers.

was looking at one of the wizz-bang pit boss griddles that is ceramic, but i think i really want to go steal instead.

Same here, I’m not doing it. Have an ugly drum smoker I’ve built (currently on version 2.0) that is as hands off as it gets. Fill it with lump charcoal, throw a piece of oak on top, walk away, come back to wrap the meat, walk away again until it’s done or the fire needs another load of coals.

Did a brisket for Easter and after I wrapped it we drove up to Georgia an hour away, ate dinner, shopped, walked around, came home and it was done.

8B8325A5-9AB3-4B93-A959-FEC3C00B71AC.jpeg

Also have a Weber my dad bought me ~ 13 years ago that gets used for stuff like chicken legs and quarters, tri tip, etc. I’ve got a natural gas Broil King that we cook dinner on 3-4 nights a week but it hasn’t held up spectacularly. I probably have high expectations for our climate though.

Doing a brisket on my ugly drum tomorrow. Pecan, and maybe some oak also to keep the burn for 10 hours

Ordered this around Father's Day and it was delivered today.

Assembled it, seasoned it, and cooked some burgers. Took about 2-3 minutes to knock out the burgers.

Daughter loved them. Will probably end up cooking more burgers when the boy gets home.

At some point I'll have to build an outdoor kitchen.

X8ZE7j6&tn=afEG80JJfXuI2die&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

I think your rec tec would make a better burger you need to do some stir fry ! That’s where I feel it shines .

That's crazy talk. Griddles are THE way to make a burger.
Agree to disagree 😁 over charcoal is THE way . Weber kettle preferably ! I have a kettle , 2 black stones , a newer Weber genesis, a pitboss pellet smoker a Smokey Joe and a Weber Smokey mountain 🤣

I agree^. The heat can be pretty intense. So keeping the area cool and removing heat would be a good idea to plan for. If you wait until Black Friday, Tractor Supply usually has them on sale for $100 off. Only problem is if you can get there on time to get one. They did give me a rain check for one when I got mine. I just had to wait 2 months for them to come back into stock.
Does yours live outside? Curious how they hold up in the elements.

i sold my offset smoker/BBQ pit and ordered a vertical vault smoker that should be here by the end of the week or next week. im excited about that one.
ill post pics of the smoker when it comes.

Make with the pics. :flipoff2:

What brand did you go with? I’ve looked at a few Lyfe Tyme pits that were nice.

I think your rec tec would make a better burger you need to do some stir fry ! That’s where I feel it shines .

In the time it takes the Rectec(q) to get up to temp I could have burgers done on the Blackstone.

Agree to disagree 😁 over charcoal is THE way . Weber kettle preferably ! I have a kettle , 2 black stones , a newer Weber genesis, a pitboss pellet smoker a Smokey Joe and a Weber Smokey mountain 🤣
:laughing:

No bullshit, what are you doing with all of that stuff?

I could do burgers/steaks/dogs/whatever on the Wyldside. I’d only do that while something was on the rotisserie though.

Between the BFG, the Wyldside, and the Blackstone, I think I can knock out everything I’d want to cook. That’s the reason I’m slowly accumulating stuff - to build an outdoor kitchen. I just don’t want to get stuff (like a Genesis or pizza oven) that’s going to be something I build for and never use.

We were talking about the gas grill that’s here. We used it like twice in the three years we’ve been here so it’s hard to justify a new one.

A97A4692-EC5B-43FA-9F5A-AE040675D1AF.jpeg

Last edited:
Smokey Joe and small black stone stay in the RV, kettle I just can’t part with , black stone definitely wouldn’t be my go to for with a burger or other meat I like to do breakfast and stir fry and vegetables etc on there . Propane is for everything …. High temp steak on there is pretty hard to beat . I don’t use the Smokey mountain near enough anymore but it turns out bbq ten times better than any pellet smoker just too lazy to use it as much anymore . Pellet grill is basically a outdoor oven and I use it for smoking meat when I’m feeling lazy and cooking everything in between . I love to cook , so I have them all. They all have a use and they all shine at something better than the next .

Smokey Joe and small black stone stay in the RV, kettle I just can’t part with , black stone definitely wouldn’t be my go to for with a burger or other meat I like to do breakfast and stir fry and vegetables etc on there . Propane is for everything …. High temp steak on there is pretty hard to beat . I don’t use the Smokey mountain near enough anymore but it turns out bbq ten times better than any pellet smoker just too lazy to use it as much anymore . Pellet grill is basically a outdoor oven and I use it for smoking meat when I’m feeling lazy and cooking everything in between . I love to cook , so I have them all. They all have a use and they all shine at something better than the next .

I have an old offset stick smoker that I never use but still keep. You can see the fire box of that thing peeking out behind the BFG in my pic.

Thinking about modifying it to a reverse flow so that I don’t have a hot side next to the fire box when I use it. I keep that around so that if there's a days-long loss of power I can cook once and have food for days.

Last edited:
I have an old offset stick smoker that I never use but still keep. You can see the fire box of that thing peeking out behind the BFG in my pic.

Thinking about modifying it to a reverse flow so that I have have a hot side next to the fire box when I use it. I keep that around so that if there's a days-long loss of power I can cook once and have food for days.
That would be cool ! I’m in love with that rotisserie ! I have always thought it would be cool to make one over a fire pit that you hand cranked as you relaxed by the fire !

If I was you I’d buy a BBQ.

Just throwing that out there so everybody East of the Mississippi can say how dumb we are in CA haha.

Its a guy out of San Antonio. Blue Collar products. He has two sizes of " vault smokers". I went with the smaller. Well made, runs hot like a scalded dog but will easily hold temps on one chimney of briquettes. I bought it several months ago before he had to raise prices because of steel

Man way back in the 60s another fireman and his family came over to our house for a cook out and he brought his charchol burner with an electric powered rotesery, kept us kids out of trouble just watching it go round and round witha chicken on it

Does yours live outside? Curious how they hold up in the elements.
It’s spent a several nights outside but for the most part it’s lived on a back patio with the tarp covering or in the garage post separation. :homer: I just hauled it to my new place. It’s been doing duty as my cooking apparatus for my Sunday meal prepping. I did notice the rust on the griddle was accelerated when sitting outside but the stand looks new. I tend to clean the griddle right away then 409 away all the grease.

Its a guy out of San Antonio. Blue Collar products. He has two sizes of " vault smokers". I went with the smaller. Well made, runs hot like a scalded dog but will easily hold temps on one chimney of briquettes. I bought it several months ago before he had to raise prices because of steel
Looks well made. How thick is the metal?

Breakfast on the griddle this morning. Wife was happy.

Fuck the heat these things put off. :laughing:
E5380F2C-551F-445A-878E-890FBDF9ED3F.jpeg

Top Back Refresh