What's new

Shop and Tools: Tips and Tricks

As much as I hate dollar stores, they can be a good source for shop consumables. I swing by Dollar Tree every few months and pick up stuff like this:

1701902128176.png

The measuring cups work great for mixing lawn chemicals or paint for the sprayer and at $1.25, they're cheaper than the 32oz paint cups from Lowes.

Scrub brushes and pads paired with LA's Totally Awesome degreaser work well for cleaning up parts or machines. At buck and quarter you can just throw them away when they get clogged up with grease and nastiness.

The turkey basters are great for sucking the juice out of master cylinders so you don't have to pump it all through the bleeders when you're doing a fluid change.

And those rubber bins are a great alternative to those high $$ silicon parts trays when you're tearing something down and need to store or organize hardware or parts. I've found them in smaller sizes at other dollar stores and walmart and use them in my storage drawers to organize hardware and tooling.

Scrub brushes and pads paired with LA's Totally Awesome degreaser work well for cleaning up parts or machines.
I keep a spray bottle of that hung on the basement sink to pre-wash my hands :laughing:

Go buy some cherry bomb and no prewashing needed
Smells soooooo good. Had a field job at a foundry and the place was soo fucking dirty burn the bathroom/locker room was super fucking nice. They had cherry bomb soap and I’ve had other jobs buy it just for me

I used to have a big plastic syringe. I'd use it to bleed shit by shooting new fluid up in through the bleeder. :laughing:

Working on some ways to make tubing measurments easier. This one is for 1.75" tube, and the top "block" is 1.75", should make it easy to get inside/outside dims. The boss on the top is 1.00"OD. Clips on pretty tight, get it level, and then check your dimensions.

7rc0iEa4cZIDSOSRKmU=w1372-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

VvFN4DmGmN25OaFliKE0=w719-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

aGqR8xprA9p96oITERLg=w719-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg
This guy has some cool ideas and products for cage work.

Some of the stuff I'd probably just buy from him just to pay for the concepts.

Also, I've been looking at safe-jack stuff and couldn't figure out what these things are, and it's not shown very well on their sites.

So, I'm pretty sure it's just a spacer that snaps on to cover the screw threads and give you a dead section of shaft to slide those extensions onto.

I think it said they're 3D printed fiber reinforced 2 piece clamshell that mount with an o-ring.

IMG_3168.jpg

Why do sprinter style vans need such a tall jack? (dont know nuthin bout dem style vans....)
Ze germans have you lift on the "frame" rail so you need enough travel to get under there when there's no air in the tire but still enough to full droop the suspension and lift the tire more than the sidewall is tall to put the new one on.

Ze germans have you lift on the "frame" rail so you need enough travel to get under there when there's no air in the tire but still enough to full droop the suspension and lift the tire more than the sidewall is tall to put the new one on.
No, zey don't! :flipoff2:

Ze Unimog 404 has axle brackets specifically to accomodate the (super pimp) double screw bottle jack.

Why the round saddle then? Do sprinter vans have a radius on the bottom of the frame? (or a round tube crossmember at jacking location)

No, zey don't! :flipoff2:
Front jack point is a little bracket on the frame. (Rear is the solid axle, obviously)

All they needed was a little dented spot or tab on the control arm to handle the jacking and they could have used a single stage jack with a normal top.

(super pimp) double screw bottle jack.
Super pimp when it's under you overpriced garbage.

Boring normalcy when it's got a GM part number. Seriously, every OEM truck jack has been a double screw going back 50+yr.

With logic like that you should own a Toyota. :flipoff2:

Why the round saddle then? Do sprinter vans have a radius on the bottom of the frame? (or a round tube crossmember at jacking location)
They welded a bracket to the frame in front of the control arm and engine crossmember accommodate the saddle. :laughing:

Last edited:
Like #4 in the bottom right but in front of the engine crossmember.

sprinterjackrearpoints.png

I'm not sure how practical it is - particularly if you have neighbors anywhere near, but certainly a couple "outside the box" ideas on heating and cooling your shop.

The algorithm hit me on that vid too.
Love the old Euk radiator geo thermal setup. I'd be really curious how well that actually works in more extreme climates but it would make for really cool "decor" either way.

Nothing earth shattering...
I finally bought some tap/drill charts off eBay, got a fullsize poster and a bunch of pocket charts, I usually use the pocket charts more than the wall chart (don't even have a place for a wall chart at the moment.

1/2" thin magnet double side taped to the pocket charts, deployed them to the lathe and drill press, gonna make another one for the bench peg board.
1000011038.jpg

1000011039.jpg

Then after I recently after way too long harvested some hard drive magnets I drilled/tapped a hole for one to hold the chuck key, that's a should of gone it 15 years ago project :homer:

1000011040.jpg

Then after I recently after way too long harvested some hard drive magnets I drilled/tapped a hole for one to hold the chuck key, that's a should of gone it 15 years ago project :homer:

1000011040.jpg
I've been singing the virtues of that trick since the old site.

Top Back Refresh