What's new

Service truck build

ANGELO

Red Numb Skull
Member Number
Loc
BRADENTON FL
I've been doing mobile boat repair out of a 92 f250 for a few years now with a crossbed tool box, the back seat full and the bed full of plastic totes. But I don't like how rusty it's getting being exposed to salt water, and if I hire someone there's no way I'd let them drive my 250.
So I always thought I'd get a dually f350 with a big utility body and go all out with a big truck. But then I started thinking, wait do I really need a big truck?
So I went the exact opposite and placed a order on a new hybrid maverick 7 month ago and will get it next week. I also have a order placed for a ARE commercial topper that should be in the week after.
I am worried it's going to be to small, I wish they made a long bed. But between the bed and back seat I think I can make it work while getting 35+mpg. And being way cheaper then a big truck. Worse case I can probably sell it for at least what I paid.
But I will definitely have to maximize the use of the available space, and will be needing ideas of keeping everything organized while using all the available space. The biggest issue I have now is my stuff isn't organized, and I would like to change that.
I'm thinking I will build some sort of rack on a bed slide, then use pack out boxes. I order the topper with tool boxes, but I may take one or both out depending on how much space there is between them.
I need to get the truck and topper first so I can get some measurements and visualize what I want, but first thing I need to get done for it is bedliner.
What bedliner brand is more like a rubber? I was just going to do linex, but it doesn't feel very "soft" I won't be dropping a pallet of bricks in it from 10' or really dragging anything heavy or sharp so I don't need the toughest one. But if I lay anything painted on the tailgate or in the bed I don't want them getting scratched. I really don't want to bedline it myself, but if the diy bedliners are the "softest" then I could.
PXL_20240325_230052020.MP.jpg

Dunno but you can get lift kits for mavericks, so that is 1st step, that and some interco thornbirds.
Thornbirds are in the list. I don't like that it's 2wd and will be needing traction. These high end yacht clubs might have dust in their parking lot. Wouldn't want to get stuck:flipoff2:

The factory Ford bedliner is fairly rubbery, do they offer it for the Maverick/you aren't too late? I know it gets beat on for not being as tough as LineX, but sounds about right for your use.

The factory Ford bedliner is fairly rubbery, do they offer it for the Maverick/you aren't too late? I know it gets beat on for not being as tough as LineX, but sounds about right for your use.
I got the bare minimum add ons. Those can seriously delay getting the truck. So its coming with a bare bed

could you install rubber coin flooring from an enclosed trailer? Easy to replace anyway?
I was debating just using a rubber mat, but i think i want something sprayed on. Its going to be exposed to salt water, and i dont want a mat holding the water.

I got the bare minimum add ons. Those can seriously delay getting the truck. So its coming with a bare bed
Makes good sense, up here you can barely get one without. I know the Rhino Liners I've had seem a bit 'softer' than LineX, maybe that would work?

Makes good sense, up here you can barely get one without. I know the Rhino Liners I've had seem a bit 'softer' than LineX, maybe that would work?
That's what I was leaning towards. When I got chance I was going to stop and talk to both rhino and linex and see what they both thought about it

If it was mine I would have a typical spray in like linex and then snag a couple stall mats from the local farm store and cut them to fit in there. None of the bed liners that I have dealt with have ever been “soft”

If it was mine I would have a typical spray in like linex and then snag a couple stall mats from the local farm store and cut them to fit in there. None of the bed liners that I have dealt with have ever been “soft”

I fucking hate spray in bed liners and even I second this.

Also you should have just bought a Transit Connect. It's literally the Ford Maverick sized van.

In for this build.

In my service trucks I use linex like Frank's red hot. I put that sh1t on everything.

For stuff I don't want damaged by the bedliner, cardboard is free. I also have moving blankets, tarps, and good oak cribbing to set stuff on.
Tractor supply sells 1 inch think rubber mats for cheap too.

I'm interested to see what you do with such a small truck. I have 2 f550s with 11 foot drw beds (one crane, one non crane) and one 14 footer. One 11 and the 14 have cranes, so they're big bois. I have thought seriously about setting up an 8 footer srw truck as kind of a light weight rapid response vehicle. I'm always worried about weight though. All of my stuff is heavy and the f550s eat ball joints, wheel bearings, brakes, and shocks like candy.

I fucking hate spray in bed liners and even I second this.

Also you should have just bought a Transit Connect. It's literally the Ford Maverick sized van.
I don't want to smell old gear lube and gas all day long. Also don't want anything van based as I will be the one fixing it.

Whatever is on my f250 tailgate is just about perfect. But I got the tailgate from the junkyard and it looks like it was sprayed on 20 years ago

Last edited:
Look into one of these.
I'm too cheap to buy them new,so I keep an eye out for used ones all the time.
I have one in my Dakota and cut 6" out of one to fit in our Yukon.
Screenshot_20240401-063347_Chrome.jpg

Picked it up today. Ordered sometime in July.
I have a appointment with rhinoliner tomorrow morning, then need to call the tint guy and get some dark tint.
Anyone know if you can program a keypad on the door with for scan?
PXL_20240403_230331563.jpg

I did a little internet research and doesn't look like it's an option to DIY with the Maverick - but looks like it should be cheap (like $25) at the dealer.

I did a little internet research and doesn't look like it's an option to DIY with the Maverick - but looks like it should be cheap (like $25) at the dealer.
That's what I was finding also.
I got them to spray the rhino liner with less texture.
PXL_20240404_194852925.jpg
PXL_20240404_195444009.jpg

Got it weighed with me in it. 3860lbs. Curious how close to the max payload of 1444 I'll get it to.

Attachments

• PXL_20240404_194852925.jpg
    PXL_20240404_194852925.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20240404_195444009.jpg
    PXL_20240404_195444009.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 5
Top Back Refresh