What's new

Serpentine Belt woes

WaterH

Member Number
Loc
North Florida
So I have had multiple belt related problems on my Cummins 4BT and the latest is really weird.

First a little backround. I’ve had several different belt routings, but I will only talk about the last two.
The original (somewhat successful) belt setup was crank, idler, alternator, AC compressor, tensioner and back to the crank. This set up lasted a long time. I had the mounts to the idler break twice over a long period of time. I ended up making a new mount that was bullet proof. That lasted for awhile and then the idler itself started making noise. When I was making that mount, someone on here mentioned that I didn’t need that idler at all. When it started making noise, I got a shorter belt and bypassed it.

I started hearing a belt noise and a clicking noise. I figured I needed a new water pump, but for whatever reason I threw a new belt on it and the noise was gone. The old belt was not very old and I couldn’t see any problem with it. But the noise was gone, so I just threw the belt in a box for a spare and went on my happy way.

A couple days ago, I start hearing a belt noise again. This time it sounded like a bearing squeal and there was no clicking. I really thought it was the water pump, but because of last time, I decided to buy a new belt and try it. Lo and behold, the sound is gone.

I really want to understand this. I have three belts that are not very old and two of them make noise.

First thing I did is try to measure them for belt stretch.

IMG_1365.jpeg

This pic is not very clear, but the new belt compared to the oldest does appear to be shorter. I devised a better way to measure them. Oldest belt.

IMG_1366.jpeg

New belt.

IMG_1367.jpeg

Maybe a 1/4” different. I don’t have a pic, but the belt I just took off did not appear to be stretched. My first conclusion is the oldest belt was stretched so much that the tensioner was hitting its stop making the clicking noise. That solves that mystery, but why is belt number two making this squeal noise?

I looked close at the belt and the only thing I can see is some shinny spots in the grooves.

IMG_1368.jpeg

I know the pic is not great, but they aren’t real apparent. I took a pic and raked it in the groove and the shinny spots kind of hang up the pic, but don’t really come out. They almost appear to be part of the belt fiber. Anybody got any knowledge on this?

Do you have an automatic tensioner or manual?

Can you throw one of the clicking belts on and poke around with a stetthoscope until you find the location?

Do you have an automatic tensioner or manual?

Can you throw one of the clicking belts on and poke around with a stetthoscope until you find the location?
The clicking belt was streched. I’m sure it was because the automatic tensioner was hitting the stop. (It didn’t have far to go) A 4 cylinder diesel has quite a bit of belt bounce.

I have poked around with a stethoscope for the squel noise. Can’t tell shit. Have you ever seen a belt like the last pic?

I've never seen that shit but I've never looked either.

If the clicking belt was stretched in pretty short order and you're seeing slip problems it seems to me like you're just asking too much of the belts. What and how many accessories are you running?

i'm thinking there is a minor alignment issue.

not big enough to cause the belt to jump, but enough for it to wear and run on just one side.

do you have two grooved pulleys that are really close together?

Never had a belt stretch but I have had one squeal a bunch and wear out fast no matter which belt I put on because the pulleys were misaligned. Maybe a quick check with some straight edges or a line laser to see if everything is in line?

In my experience, the shinny spots are from sand getting inbedded in the belt. I've picked the sand out before. Check alignment but also pulley wear. The pulleys can and do wear out.

Last edited:
I left the radiator cap off a GM motor and drove away cold. Hot antifreeze spewed out and all over the front of the engine. Belt started chirping/squealing immediately.

I replaced every single pulley/accessory except the crankshaft pulley. Several new belts and could never get that thing to stay quite.

I dunno :confused:

Top Back Refresh