Group events

New Mexico

Scheduled Trail Runs?

'84 Bronco II

El Chingón
Member Number
Loc
NM
So, taking some inspiration from Slander (Any interest in a monthly SE IBB forum trail ride?), would anyone be interested in regularly scheduled Irate runs to get out and meet the people behind the screen names?

willis_racing and I discussed it a bit, and I think for this to work, we need to schedule all of the dates and places in advance so people can get them on their radar early and if they can make it, great, if not, no big deal.

I am open to a mix of easier and harder runs so members at every level can participate, or we can decide on an area and play which trails we run by ear based on who actually shows up. I think most of the folks on this board are in the northern part of the state, but I was thinking all the usual places like Las Cruces, T or C/Elephant Butte, Socorro, and Farmington. Maybe some easy stuff in the Jemez, Gila, Red River, or Cedro in the summer. Trying to do something monthly might be ambitious unless we reach a critical mass where the runs aren't contingent on willis_racing or myself making it, but maybe doing something quartely to start would be good.

What says everyone?

Tagging everyone in the group so they see this.
67StingrayJ
6869704x4
854xtoy
90supra
ABQJim
bigun
Brian1
Briansc33
BulletOffroad
ChileKing
Chops24
Cimmerian
Davidtacoma
DesertDweller
Duc
Electricbob
Felsenbeisser
gump1376
I_s2k
JR4X
Projectfreedom
RDY2ROK
Redtruggy
Rokcrawlr
Sceep
simmons3067
SlowcrawlerXJ
smracing
Tobias
Wheelerfreak

Last edited:
Sounds like a good idea. I'm out for awhile still but depending might be able to get some other guys from up here to go.

Sounds like a good idea. I'm out for awhile still but depending might be able to get some other guys from up here to go.
Any thoughts on frequency or locations?

Here are my rough thoughts:
Early-mid January - Las Cruces since it is about the warmest place to wheel in the winter
Late March - Caballo/Elephant Butte since it is warm and long enough away from Chile Challenge
May-early June - Farmington since weather should be nice and plenty of time before the Fall Crawl
July/August - Somewhere in the mountains?
Early November - Socorro

I avoided February for King of the Hammers, September for Fall Crawl, and October for Chile Challenge and Trail Hero.

Last edited:
Sounds good to me. Whatever.. Set it up and see who chimes in and shows up.

I'll take a Socorro quickie in late Jan. If you're jotting shit down..

Quarterly or every other month would be a good start. Gordys and Caballo are fun, I'd try to make those for sure. Gordys is good anytime, Caballo except for summer. Cedro is fun occasionally too.

Puerco sucks :flipoff2:

Man I really need a tow pig.

Better yet, I need Bronco ii to buy a 40ft goose and haul our shit at the same time :flipoff2:

This should be fun though. I like the idea of varying difficulty. I can probably make more runs if I can take out the Bronco or something instead of always falling back on "I can't pull the toyota around, durr"

I’d be down for showing people around Farmington anytime. Or even the rock garden in Aztec if everyone is built enough. If timing allows I’d be down for southern nm because I’ve only wheeled Tulurosa once. Santa Fe has some stuff that’s decent in the summer as it’s shaded in some deep canyons. But I’m down till at least mid January.

I’d be down for showing people around Farmington anytime. Or even the rock garden in Aztec if everyone is built enough. If timing allows I’d be down for southern nm because I’ve only wheeled Tulurosa once. Santa Fe has some stuff that’s decent in the summer as it’s shaded in some deep canyons. But I’m down till at least mid January.

I've been trying to get Daniel Butts and Arlee Bonsall down south for a while so I could show them the good stuff. I don't have a buggy yet so I am stuck riding with someone, but if we could get a solid committment from at least one or two other buggies I could probably convince Daniel to make the trip and ride with him.

If we tried to schedule something same second half of February I bet I could get a local or two to go with me. Let me check some dates. Would jeeps on tube chassis/ back halfed be doable? If so I’m sure id get some if not 4. To go along. They run “buggy” lines up here regularly.

If we tried to schedule something same second half of February I bet I could get a local or two to go with me. Let me check some dates. Would jeeps on tube chassis/ back halfed be doable? If so I’m sure id get some if not 4. To go along. They run “buggy” lines up here regularly.
They shouldn't have a problem, the stuff down south was all cut with drag axles. Only one obstacle I am aware of that hasn't been completed unassisted in a drag axle.

The big waterfall on Can Opener has only been done unassisted by a handfull of rear steer cars. Most people just get their fronts on it and immediately hook up cable.

BulletOffroad I spoke to Daniel and he's down and will try to get another buggy from Pojoaque down too. How does the weekend of the 17th of February sound? My Wife's birthday is on the 27th so I am not sure if I'll be free the weekend of the 24th.

The 17Th is the only no go I have for February. My daughter has a Rodeo. We could do earlier in the month. It’ll just push me to get my trans in sooner.

The 17Th is the only no go I have for February. My daughter has a Rodeo. We could do earlier in the month. It’ll just push me to get my trans in sooner.

Daniel has some kind of commitment on the 10th, so it would probably be better to plan for the 24th or March 2nd. I'll try to sort out with my wife when she wants to celebrate her birthday.

BulletOffroad The Great American Crawl is going on in Las Cruces/Caballo 2/29-3/03, so the weekend of the 24th is going to be the better option to avoid the crowds.

When I get home, I'll sit down and plan out several runs and post them up on the group calendar and in this thread. It didn't seem like there was really any interest in Las Cruces, so maybe a Socorro run in late January and the buggy run in Caballo/Elephant Butte on 2/24.

The 24th should work. Curious what is the Wheelin in Socorro’s like?

All the Southern New Mexico wheeling is pretty similar. Socorro has some buggy trails, dirt roads and everything in between. It is just a smaller area, so you can wheel everything in a weekend or all the hard/extreme trails in a long day if you are with a good group.

How’s the stuff down south as far as a buggy that doesn’t like to cruise dirt roads? I’ve heard Socorro is kinda like 1 obstacle every 5 miles. And that sounds awful to me. But idk that it’s true. And I get Farmington spoils us with everything witihin a couple mile square.

I am not sure who you talked to, but you might drive 5 miles all day in Socorro. All the real rock trails are relatively short and close together right off the main road where you unload.

Caballo/Elephant Butte is a lot more spread out because it is literally an area as big as the Hammers. There are pockets of trails out there that you run, then load up and move to the next area. You can drive between them faster though if you have some fuel capacity and can haul ass in the desert.

Ok. Just some guy I met on the trail. And I could be confused on the area that’s why I asked. I can cruise ok it’s just kinda miserable and I’ve broke more shit on a dirt road than a trail it seems for some damn reason. I have a 20 gallon tank and typically burn 10 in a long day.

I still need to plan out some runs, but I am going to do a quick run through Cedro Peak on New Year day at noon if anyone in the Albuquerque area is interested in getting out.

BulletOffroad I am not sure how many days you are wanting to go down for on the weekend of the 24th, but I spoke with Daniel last night and he's willing to take Friday off. Let me know what you're thinking since it'll be about a 5.5 hour drive from Farmington.

Definitely won’t be able to take a day off work. If we keep getting weather I may not even be able to go down for the weekend, My dad/ boss had back surgery and we don’t have hands for call outs currently. We thought we had a good mechanic hired and it fell through. So if I can find a competent hand I may not make it unfortunately.

Definitely won’t be able to take a day off work. If we keep getting weather I may not even be able to go down for the weekend, My dad/ boss had back surgery and we don’t have hands for call outs currently. We thought we had a good mechanic hired and it fell through. So if I can find a competent hand I may not make it unfortunately.

So I think I've got 3 buggies lined up outside of you and anyone that would be coming with you. Planning on running trails all day Friday and Saturday (2/23-24) and maybe more Sunday morning if people are feeling it.

I am thinking we'll meet and camp at the Damsite Fish Hatchery campground Thursday and Friday night, then load up and haul the rigs down to the usual staging area for Warpath and potentially camp ther if people want to stay another night.
Screenshot 2024-01-24 045311.png

Warpath staging area:
Screenshot 2024-01-27 124040.png

Top Back Refresh