What's new

Rep builds a bunch of old Fords

reptillikus

ate lug
Member Number
Loc
Reading PA
...so ive decided to be less of an introvert and continue my build threads here:flipoff2:

Ok so here goes. Ive been on FSB pretty much from the beginning but much like other sites owned by VS, its gone downhill. While i feel bad leaving that community, i couldnt give two shits about VS, so i figure im just gonna keep going with my builds, but over here instead.
Im gonna warn you now, dont expect killer fabwork like TTMotorsports is cranking out :laughing:

Weve got an 88 bronco, a 96 bronco, 96 F250, and recently picked up '90 bronco that we havent started on yet.
Im currently working on the '88 bronco. Ive owned it for over 20 years now, and a couple years ago stripped it down to the frame to rebuild it. Its just nice enough now that its gonna hurt when i smash it wheelin, but oh well :laughing:

The 88, with the two 96s' in the background:
460.jpg

Current project on the 88 is the engine...
035.jpg

...which i just finished putting back together a couple days ago:
048.jpg

460, .030 over. -.010 on the deck height which gets me to 9:1. New cam from comp cams. .208 intake valve, .175 exhaust. BBK twin 61mm throttle body. 36# Trickflow injectors, and im running an aftermarket ECU from Stinger Performance, with a wideband from Innovate to help with tuning. Should be a decent bump in power, but still pretty streetable. This motor has given me hell all year long, but if all goes well itll be going back in Tuesday, for the last time:smokin:

:smokin: I’ve been on FSB since 2003 but I’ve been mostly inactive the last 15 years, Recently picked up a couple broncos to play with. I remember your black bronco from back then, awesome you’ve kept it all these years, looking forward to everything you do here

It's always the first dent that hurts the most :laughing:
We bought the '90 last month for the wifey so she can't complain when I smash this one again :laughing:

Thanks!
The 88 is pretty heavily built, altho nothing super fancy. 466, C6 (which i just put a shift kit in + converter from Broader) & a jeds 203/205 doubler. Rear D70 w/discs, 5.13s & Detroit. Front used to be a 79 Ford D60 until I snapped it in half- an old friend of mine built me a new housing using a Rockjock center. ARB was damaged but repairable so that's still in there. 35spline chromos in both axles with a set of Yukon hardcore hubs up front. 1350 series ujoints in both dshafts. Typical rear shackle flip with an antiwrap bar out back. Front is your typical Dealer 6" coil/ radius arm setup.

Last edited:
Thats good, cuz i was getting nervous when we brought home the 90 :laughing:

01.jpg

its pretty clean, but hasnt run in years
04.jpg

Needs a fuel pump, some brakes lines, etc but the price was right so we bought it :grinpimp:

This is our next project; as soon as the engine in the 88 is running and broken in/tuned, we're gonna get the 90 running and slap these under it:
05.jpg

:smokin:

Whoa whoa there Broncos aren't trucks.

I have trucks that are actually trucks.

And what honestly IYO constitutes having a truck ?

Does it have to run under its own power or just be mostly complete ?

2 or 3 square body chevys all one tons.

2 or 3 mtv 800's and a few rolling frames of various genders and year models.

Even $90 ish is cheap compared to Commiefornia. My Sequoia is a commercial vehicle in cali and I get to pay extra for that. Everything that isn't a car in cali gets called a commercial vehicle. That is why they all are getting south dakota registration next year

Two of my square body Chevy's are called something postal vehicle, have no idea why but in several states they have been called out with that description and by the insurance companies as well.

The one was exempt with Nevada State for 2 years while a glitch was being worked out still have the E embossed license plate around here somewhere.

What my CUCV M1028A1 looks like for the most part at least the body, mine is camo, with a 454 SM465 and 6 bolt round np205.

Last edited:
Technically its a Utility Vehicle, hence the U15 designation. Personally i couldnt care less, altho mine get used more like trucks than your typical SUV. Whatever irritates you guys more is probably what ill use :flipoff2:

State of Pennsylvania thinks they are station wagons. $40ish a year for registration instead of $90ish
Yup, its pretty awesome. All 3 broncos combined will be less than the registration for the F250. IIRC that was $165.

Oh, and progress:
049.jpg

This cocksucker fought me every step of the way, but its in. Next week is road trips to visit the family for the holidays, so i prob wont pick back up on this again until the new year.

:lmao:

The weight class stickers make it so bizarre. Thankfully i dont have to mess with any of that crap having 3 'station wagons' and a diesel.

it is pretty sweet. Haggard-Beard had a 3/4 ton suburban for the longest time and always gave me shit over his registration for a higher gvw being less than my 1/2 ton. Well, he bought a 1 ton and it’s registered at class 4 now, and I transferred my old tag to the 3/4 ton and managed to keep it at a class 2. Who’s laughing now fucker:flipoff2:
Yeah Karma bit me pretty good for that one :lmao:

Not much progress made. Took some time off for the holidays, then life happened.

Anyways.....

I have the doubler, transmission & motor mounts back together again. Reinstalled tcase shifters & trans tunnel. Antiwrap bar back together. I also made a new tracbar for the front, since my old was was a bit short, and bent a little bit. I must have goofed on the lower tracbar mount location on the 'new' D60, presumably because of how hammered the old body was. Ended up that when the new body was 100% done, i had to extend my tracbar a good 1½, which left me with quite a good bit of the shafts from the heims sticking out. It looked like a failure waiting to happen. So i built a nice beefy (and slightly longer) one using parts i got from RuffStuff during their black friday sale.

87.jpg

Im hoping to get back out there tomorrow to see what else i can get done. Its january and there's snow in the forecast.

Not a great update, but progress is progress.

This is in my gray 88. Once upon a time it was 351/C6/BW1356. In 2005-06 i did the one-ton swap along with the doubler, and then in 2012 i swapped the 351/C6 for a 460/C6 combo. I freshened up the doubler last year while the 460 was at the machine shop, and i had some of my mounts apart because it made it easier to get the motor to line up on the trans.

The doubler kit is a jed's kit with a resplined intermediate shaft.
07.jpg

For mounting, i have one mount on each side of the 205. The left bolts up where the original torque arm would have in the 70s Fords, and on the right side i made my own replacement PTO cover out of 1/4" and built the mount off that.
The doubler mounts lock the drivetrain in place pretty tight. But, after 15 years and no issues, its safe to say they do their job.
This isnt a great pic, but its what ive got. Pic circa 2005:
070.jpg

ORD shifters poking up roughly where the original shifter came thru:
101.jpg

Overall its been pretty reliable, but if i was building it today id go with a black box instead of the 203's range box.

Got new tires for the DD/Beater bronco installed today:
299794701.jpg

35x12.5R17 Thunderer Trac Grip MT. I got them mounted this morning, so first impressions are from driving home in the snow, and they seem ok. Nice & smooth, and theyre quieter on the road than i thought theyd be. I guess we'll see how well they hold up.

712444926.jpg

995170059.jpg

Does anyone make HD BJ for the TTB Dana 44 (my '94 Bronco)?

nOOB questions:
Is the TTB Dana 50 BJ any stronger than the Dana 44's BJ?
Can said D50 BJs be used on D44?

The D44, D44HD & D50 TTBs all use the same upper balljoint, but the D50 uses a bigger lower BJ. While you could theoretically ream the tapered hole out in the beam to fit the larger D50 BJ stud, ive never had both joints in my hand to see if its possible to fit the lower into the knuckle. Maybe with some machining?
Desolate Motorsports offers some kinda beefy balljoints, but i dont know what brand they are, they might just be Spicers. I put Moog BJ's in this thing when i put it together (which was 60k miles ago now), and so far so good.

The valuecraft autozone ball joints in the truck I gave away probably had an entire air mile on them and were still working fine. I don't think it matters what you run as long as they're not sloppy.

I remember your name over at fsb. Didn’t realize you were in Reading. I started wheeling in Lancaster many years ago. Nice job on the Broncos.

Oh no way, i didnt know you were originally from this area :cool2: Reading hasnt gotten any better :laughing:

The weather has not been cooperating as of late; first snow, now today its been sleeting all day so everything is covered in ice. Hopefully i get some better weather this week, as id really like to get the 88 done and running.

Cold, but otherwise nice outside, so i made some progress on the '88.
The exhaust is now done, with the exception of the wideband O2, which i want to calibrate anyway. Pretty much everything thats left is under the hood, so thats where i went.
Put the fuel rail on, and then broke the oil pressure sender. Kinda sucks because the plan was to install the plenum/TB next and finish the harness & vacuum lines. Maybe tomorrow.
Anyways, i moved on and instead reinstalled the dipstick, coil + bracket, and most of the accessory drive:
050.jpg

P.steering pump is plumbed, and so is the York compressor. Its a rats nest of wires under there right now but itll all clean up once the TB is reinstalled. We're getting pretty close to finally firing this thing up!

Im using an Innovate LC-2

011.jpg

010.jpg

I opted for the controller w/o gauge, because i already have gauges from New Vintage USA, and i wanted it to match:
001.jpg

Apparently i dont have a good pic of the a/fr gauge by itself
016.jpg

The wideband is tied directly into the stock circuit for the O2 sensor, because i am not running the factory ECU, instead i have a drop-in (the PimpX) from Stinger Performance:
KIMG4520.jpg

In a nutshell its a Megasquirt 3, except its not a chip its a full drop-in ECU. It has its own on-board map sensor, and it can use either the OEM narrowband, or an aftermarket wideband O2. Obviously if i use the wideband i get the full self-learning parameters. For now im keeping it fairly simple, but there is a lot of things you can change with their ECU with just a jumper change, such as converting from batch fire to sequential or changing to a different ignition system entirely. Its designed to drop into your stock vehicle with no wiring mods, and has a second data port if you need to add sensors that Ford did not originally support (like fan controllers, boost controllers, etc). Its pretty neat.

Its a pretty neat piece, you can use it to do a lot more than i am. Even switching from speed-density to mass-air is just a simple jumper install. It comes with a pdf of all the setup instructions which i sent to Staples to have printed & bound, because its a lot of info and i do better with an actual book as opposed to a pdf. I have their software for my laptop for data logging & live tuning. Never done anything like this before so i dunno what im looking at :laughing: but it looks like once i get it running and get to experiment with it, itll be pretty easy to use. Stinger has their own support forum and will help with troubleshooting & tuning which is pretty cool.

Top Back Refresh