What's new

Powersteering res mounting question

Slander

Team no stickys
Member Number
Loc
Hickory, NC
Working on mounting a remote ps res on my Tacoma and have a newb questions. Out of the 2 scenarios below, which one is more ideal:
1) ps res mounted 6" from pump, feed line horizontal
2) ps res mounted 18" from pump, feed line slopeing down to the pump

In this scenario both inlet and outlet are -10, and the res is pressurized up to 10psi.

No option to mount the res directly over the pump and cannot raise it in the first scenario due to hood clearance and don't want to cut a hole in the hood.

Doesn't matter.

What fittings do you use in each case ? 90s, 45s, straight? Forged, sweeping ?
Good to know.

Scenario 1 would be 2 90s most likely, scenario 2 would be a straight and probably a 45, maybe even just a straight. I would only used the forged ones as a last resort and try to stay with the sweeping kind.

Yes. In the perfect world, you want it free flowing back into the pump via gravity with no restrictions. But most the time that can not be accomplished.
Yea that's part of the reason I went with the RD res with pressure valve as I know due to the location of everything under the hood on this thing, along with the pump being on the opposite side of the motor of the steering box, it's nothing but compromises and not ideal locations.

absolutely.

In vaccum (feed line to pump) restriction is really something to pay close attention to.
I'll need to play around with it more tonight and see if I can move some shit around and get the horizontal run more direct

I'll need to play around with it more tonight and see if I can move some shit around and get the horizontal run more direct
Focus on the fittings more than the fact it's horizontal.

But straight and 45 is actually really good.

I'd run the "return to tank" to a tee fitting right at the pump inlet and have the res coming off the other fitting of the tee and not worry about 90s and hose sizes and shit.

I'd run the "return to tank" to a tee fitting right at the pump inlet and have the res coming off the other fitting of the tee and not worry about 90s and hose sizes and shit.
What's the point of having RadialDynamics on the board, sharing tech for multiple years if you're saying stuff like this ?

What's the point of having RadialDynamics on the board, sharing tech for multiple years if you're saying stuff like this ?

What's the point of bringing up a guy who makes products that cost more than this dude's rig on builds they're inapplicable to?

This isn't an ultra4 car. This is a streetable truggy running what's probably an OEM pump where the reservoir is mostly just there to accommodate thermal expansion.

I know you europoors have no concept of being fastidious with other people's money but based on what I know about OP's build he's likely not going to be pushing the steering system to the point where you get the kind of fluid problems that a good reservoir helps solve.

What's the point of bringing up a guy who makes products that cost more than this dude's rig on builds they're inapplicable to?

This isn't an ultra4 car. This is a streetable truggy running what's probably an OEM style pump where the reservoir is mostly just there to accommodate thermal expansion.
Slander has a Radial Dynamics resi as he explained above.
So he already spent the money and wants to do it right.

I know you europoors have no concept of being fastidious with other people's money but based on what I know about OP's build he's likely not going to be pushing the steering system to the point where you get the kind of fluid problems that a good reservoir helps solve.
Yaaaaaawn

This isn't an ultra4 car. This is a streetable truggy running what's probably an OEM pump where the reservoir is mostly just there to accommodate thermal expansion.
It's one of his reservoirs feeding an after market TC pump on a hydro assist system.
Yup, also buy once, cry once and this thing will follow me through future builds.

Yeah in that case it makes sense to use it.

I figured he had just bought a 1qt aluminum radiator tank and tig'd bigger bungs to it.

Going back to the original post, neither option is concerning to me, both are acceptable even with sweeping 90's. As for feed hose size, it all depends on the flow rate that the pump is putting out and hence, how much it needs to pull in. I would consider a -10 feed hose acceptable up to 4 GPM and -12 up to 6 or 7 GPM.

So looks like I can get it up here and snake the feed hose under the intake and above the AC lines and fairly easily get the return line in there as well.
1000001804.jpg

1000001808.jpg

Looking up from the pump
1000001805.jpg

I'm fighting the same issue now. Mine being on the other side (2rz, intercooler piping clearance) with a less than optimum resi location. I'm going to try to relocate the Alt to the OEM A/C compressor location and use a bracket to move the TC pump to the ALT location. this should let me bring the resi down and closer to the motor. Should maybe work in theory LOL and of course after I already cut a hole in my hood

I'm fighting the same issue now. Mine being on the other side (2rz, intercooler piping clearance) with a less than optimum resi location. I'm going to try to relocate the Alt to the OEM A/C compressor location and use a bracket to move the TC pump to the ALT location. this should let me bring the resi down and closer to the motor. Should maybe work in theory LOL and of course after I already cut a hole in my hood
I was kicking that idea around on this truck actually. There was rumors the RHD 3.4 had everything reversed but I couldn't find anything for sure. Maybe Toyota has some brackets you can buy for a RHD version of your truck? May save some fab time.

I'm trying this res first and going from there

I found a guy on the gram who was kicking around the same concept. he started a bracket and is sending it to me to test.
Ill check out the RHD option. Hadn't though of that.

Do you have the factory airbox? I was able to squeeze my large PSC res in the gap where the washer fluid reservoir use to be.

1000003380.jpg

Do you have the factory airbox? I was able to squeeze my large PSC res in the gap where the washer fluid reservoir use to be.

1000003380.jpg
That was option 1. with the push lock fitting on top of this res I couldn't get the hood to shut unless it was mounted crazy low, and this res must be fatter on the bottom as it wasn't fitting in there very well, even hacking up the core support a bit.

I'm also curious what "gen" 1st Gen that is, my hood has almost zero clearance at the front like that, I was referencing those same pics.

That was option 1. with the push lock fitting on top of this res I couldn't get the hood to shut unless it was mounted crazy low, and this res must be fatter on the bottom as it wasn't fitting in there very well, even hacking up the core support a bit.
Ah damn okay. Haven't seen the RD resi yet.

Top Back Refresh