What's new

Pintle hooks

I didn't know that existed. Ordering one for my boat trailer, sick of beating the 40 year old lever down to latch. That looks simpler and better for dunking in the lake than normal latches.
I found it on Amazon and ordered a returned/used one a while back, haven't had a chance to install it, but it seems idiotproof in my testing, uses a standard 5/8" pin to lock it.

Aaron Z

With that style, depending on what you're doing, might be better off using a bolt and locknut, but don't torque down the nut obviously.

If you're going through anything rough or dragging that hitch it'd be easy to knock the 5/8 retaining pin loose.

With that style, depending on what you're doing, might be better off using a bolt and locknut, but don't torque down the nut obviously.

If you're going through anything rough or dragging that hitch it'd be easy to knock the 5/8 retaining pin loose.
There's a hitch pin clip holding the pin in the receiver.

Reactions: DMG

Unless you are driving through brush, the likelihood of pulling the clip is pretty low.
If you are driving through brush, as AKnate said, there is the same clip holding the ball mount into the receiver.
If you are concerned with that, put on a standard 5/8" locking pin like you would use in a receiver.

Aaron Z

I didn't know that existed. Ordering one for my boat trailer, sick of beating the 40 year old lever down to latch. That looks simpler and better for dunking in the lake than normal latches.
The standard latch couplers is nice when adjusted and in good working order, however. I sometime like to adjust the nut on bottom to make for tighter grip on the ball, along with anti-rattle hitch bracket. Make for a much more pleasant drive when towing a trailer with little to no tongue weight. Such as log splitter, utility trailer, whatever.

but the simplicity for very limited use trailers is appealing, though.

For charging a trailer battery, like for a winch, can I just wire in the 12v in the 7 pin plug?

I know usually the little brake away box just pulls from the truck to charge.

If the battery was dead, it going to melt the trailer power wire from pulling so much power or??? What would limit the current?

Tried looking into it online and not finding solid info. Dc to dc "chargers" seem to exist, but the few I've found are designed for like inside an RV, so probably wouldn't last outside.

Wire size is all that will limit the current. Too small of wire over the run and you'll have a decent voltage drop, voltage drop means the battery won't ask for many amps and won't get them either

Wire size is all that will limit the current. Too small of wire over the run and you'll have a decent voltage drop, voltage drop means the battery won't ask for many amps and won't get them either
Ok. I think it's 12 gauge wire.

Probably will wire in a regular trickle charger too

2186EC96-4EE0-4D9B-8F26-4146FE514ACD.jpeg

I don’t think this is what you’re asking but for reference or to measure against yours. I seem to remember the ones on my kenworth being thicker but I’m not near that truck right now, I was sitting in the garage within an arms reach of this one though lol. DO NOT trust my caliper or its measurements but it’ll ballpark you a bit
3CD293F3-02C1-486B-BA94-234E6AEE2A7C.jpeg

For charging a trailer battery, like for a winch, can I just wire in the 12v in the 7 pin plug?

I know usually the little brake away box just pulls from the truck to charge.

If the battery was dead, it going to melt the trailer power wire from pulling so much power or??? What would limit the current?

Tried looking into it online and not finding solid info. Dc to dc "chargers" seem to exist, but the few I've found are designed for like inside an RV, so probably wouldn't last outside.
I wired battery 12v supply straight to plug on my truck. 99% sure it’s just fused with standard blade type fuse.

I plugged into and towed trailers with dead battery. No issues whatsoever. 10ga wire.

Although I plan on to rewire my truck one day to have its trailer plug 12v supply switched via relay to only come on when key is in run position and replace the fuse with circuit breaker, so it’ll reset automatically if overcurrent should occur.

I put a 2 inch receiver facing forward on my ski-doo trailer, then stuffed one of these in it.

I pull it to make it weird for someone to steal the thing.

RM1225E_45.jpg

I hate pintles for the slop and wear and clank and all, but I did the same on my log splitter. Not real worried about it being stolen, but it was good enough at the time and still good enough for now.

I hate pintles for the slop and wear and clank and all, but I did the same on my log splitter. Not real worried about it being stolen, but it was good enough at the time and still good enough for now.
Keeps some people from wanting to borrow them too :)

Got it home today. Need to move the lunette, the jack is barely not rubbing the ground.

Dunno if the spring pintles would help but it pulls rough. Feels like my seat is welded to the hitch. Can feel everything.

Hopefully will tow better with a new lunette. The orginal is worn half through.

Top Back Refresh