What's new

Painting chrome rims?

SKULLYOTA

NOOB
Member Number
Anyone have some tips/tricks for making paint stick to chrome? I have some old chrome wheels with some rust that I'm going to paint and use on my wheeler. I was thinking just to wire wheel the hell out of them and use some self-etch primer and hope for the best?

Or is there a proven method i'm not aware of? I've heard sandblasting can be hit or miss and I might as well buy new wheels if I'm going to pay for sandblasting.

Take an sos pad, the one with soap in it and scrub your chrome wheels clean. It will remove the rust and oxidation.

Steel wool. Get it nice and scuffed up.

Painted god knows how many cheapo chrome valve/lifter/diff covers that way over the years.

Good luck.

I spent a way too long prepping wheels on my truck, they were just painted getting a bit ugly. Tiny bit rusty.

They're already starting to rust after a couple weeks and not even 15 miles on them.

Used the aledgely "professional" use Rustoleum too.

Attachments

• 20240403_125800.jpg
    20240403_125800.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 2
Trying to be cheap, so not sandblasting/powder coating.
I'm in the same boat up to I don't want to remove the tires either but may end up removing them. Older dirty rusty chrome spoke wheels I want to paint black.

I plan on cleaning the wheels good, then scuffing up with wire wheel and scotch bright pads etc. Acitone them clean and use a two part rattle can primer paint on them. (amazon for the paint) then maybe scuff the primer up and paint gloss Rustolium rattle can paint and Rustolium clear gloss coat over that,

It'd be easier I guess to dismount and have them sand blasted but not sure on the cost. I may ask our local blaster on it since I have to visit him anyway as he has out farm 250 gallon fuel tank blasted and painted for us. That was $525.00 to do.

Top Back Refresh