What's new

OBS modernization

Ok guys, here it goes. I was going to post progress throughout the day, but dumb phone turned out to be smarter than me. I couldn't post pics, so I just shot them along the way.

First step was to get the old deck out. I won't bore you with that, because they are all going to be different. What I found behind there was 20 years ago me wiring. Ain't gonna post that either! :flipoff2:

IMG_20220206_094512705.jpg

IMG_20220206_095306481.jpg

First you have to get the old stuff out of the way. A pocket screwdriver and a 90* pick got all these little tabs bent back so I could get the old mount out.

After that's out of the way there are 2 7mm screws holding the top of the HVAC trim. Remove those screws, and then there are 2 clips holding the bottom of the HVAC trim. With that out of the way, hold the new Metra piece up to the dash and take some eyecromiter measurements.

IMG_20220206_102011978.jpg

The two timmermen clips you can see are what used to hold the HVAC trim. I made some sharpie marks inside of the Metra piece, and plugged in the body saw.

IMG_20220206_102329333.jpg
IMG_20220206_102322069.jpg

The left side (2ndpic) is the trickiest. The sharpie line on the left is the cut line. You want to get as close to that screw (the one I'm pointing to in the next pic) as possible. There is a metal tab behind the plastic that you want to stay out of as well.

IMG_20220206_102039815.jpg

IMG_20220206_102913315.jpg

The 2nd pic makes it look like I removed material above and left of that screw. It's just camera angle. It's basically a verticle cut from the right edge of that screw, up. 2nd pic is just to show the metal bracket that I got into.

Next step is to remove this OE bracket if it's still there. It's two 7mm screws, both coming in from the front :homer:

The one closest to you, you can get if you have small hands. The forward screw is impossible. Out comes the body saw again.

IMG_20220206_105212619.jpg

Just watch out for collateral damage when running the saw. :mad3:

IMG_20220206_110059932.jpg

After all was said and done, I'm not sure if that bracket will need to come out. It all depends on the HU you are using.

The brackets that come with the Metra kit are pretty good, really. They will fit your DDIN unit, and the dash, and the trim.

The brackets locate off of the top two HVAC screws. The brackets go ON TOP of the HVAC.

There are also a clip on either side that grab onto the stock dash opening. I didn't realize that until I was almost done, but if you pay more attention than I do, youll see them. :homer:

IMG_20220206_153631993.jpg

IMG_20220206_154107335.jpg

It take a bit of fiddle farting around to get everything just right.
When fitting the HU, and then checking the fit of the Metra trim, I found that the clip on the left side of the HU was the most difficult. It would snap on relatively easy, but it was a bugger to unclip without breaking.

The two little orange clips go into to Metra trim, and mate to the rectanglular holes below the HVAC control. Leave those off until the VERY LAST STEP!!!

Ok, final assembly. I dicked around all day fixing wiring, tidying things up, and mounting the camera. My homemade bumper had the tag light exactly where the camera needed to be.:mad3:. So, tag light is out, camera is in.

I won't bore you with all of the wiring, but I solder and heat shrink everything. Even the speaker connections in the dash.

For the dash trim strip...the one that used to go between the radio and HVAC, and goes all the way to the RH door, 8 1/2" is the magic number to cut off.

IMG_20220206_155441689.jpg

Checking and the backup camera

IMG_20220206_155050051.jpg

Checking the FM reciever and making sure all speakers are working.

IMG_20220206_155038280.jpg

And any pics how it fits the dash pad without the dash cover on?
check the vid link i posted... the installer does a decent job of talking about if around the top of the dash.

rockota Initial thoughts...overall it was a pretty easy install. What took the most time for me was cleaning up old wiring, and installing the rear camera and running its wiring. The Metra pieces seem to be high quality. The plastic is good and sturdy. I got stuck a few times perfecting the fit, and trying to remove the trim I was sure I was going to break it, but I never did. The surface finish of the Metra piece is not exact, but that could be that my 325K mile OE pieces are worn. Its not enough of a difference to matter to me. It fits the dash well and doesn't leave any gaps or bad lines.

The head unit seems to be good for its price point. I am really going to enjoy hands free calling, maps, and the backup camera will make hooking a trailer easy. It came with an external mic that I had to find a spot for on the A pillar, and the few calls I have made, the recipient said the sound was loud and clear. The sound level on my end could be louder (but my hearing is not the best).

Tiha I will snap a few more pics of the finished product tonight for you.

rockota Initial thoughts...overall it was a pretty easy install. What took the most time for me was cleaning up old wiring, and installing the rear camera and running its wiring. The Metra pieces seem to be high quality. The plastic is good and sturdy. I got stuck a few times perfecting the fit, and trying to remove the trim I was sure I was going to break it, but I never did. The surface finish of the Metra piece is not exact, but that could be that my 325K mile OE pieces are worn. Its not enough of a difference to matter to me. It fits the dash well and doesn't leave any gaps or bad lines.

The head unit seems to be good for its price point. I am really going to enjoy hands free calling, maps, and the backup camera will make hooking a trailer easy. It came with an external mic that I had to find a spot for on the A pillar, and the few calls I have made, the recipient said the sound was loud and clear. The sound level on my end could be louder (but my hearing is not the best).

Tiha I will snap a few more pics of the finished product tonight for you.

Thanks! I appreciate it.

Out of curiosity, did your HU fit snugly in the opening? I've read that some HU's are a tad smaller and need foam.

Currently looking for either a 1/2 depth HU or one that is a single din body w/ a double din face - just for room.

My HU is one that is about 1/2 as deep as the CD player I removed. It fit snug all the way around the opening. I saw no need to fab any additional brackets or support, as the Metra brackets grab the side of the dash opening as well as the two screws. It seems pretty solid, time will tell.

I think there might be enough room even for a full depth DDIN.

I really want to do this to my excursion.... I dont need the 6cd changer etc..but man id love hands free, and bluetooth music/podcast

Nice job on the install, the added features will be nice.

I can't help but look at these kits and see a hacked up dash from from the 60's and 70's with an eight track poorly mounted.

I can't help but look at these kits and see a hacked up dash from from the 60's and 70's with an eight track poorly mounted.
Agree, that is probably why I haven't jumped at it. At least in the 6os and 70s you could weld a piece back into the dash to hide the radio hack job. Little tougher here.

But then these trucks will be around cheap and in the junkyards for quite a few years yet.

Seems like it's a pretty decent solution for an OBS... much better (IMHO) than other options... but, that's probably my $32 spent on the kit talking. :)

It's a shame you started with that shitty aftermarket radio. If you had the OEM "all buttons" one I would have bought it off you.

My HU is one that is about 1/2 as deep as the CD player I removed. It fit snug all the way around the opening. I saw no need to fab any additional brackets or support, as the Metra brackets grab the side of the dash opening as well as the two screws. It seems pretty solid, time will tell.

I think there might be enough room even for a full depth DDIN.

Would love some feedback on the HU after you've used it for a bit. The price is in line with what I'd like to spend, but I have no experience with that brand.

Seems like it's a pretty decent solution for an OBS... much better (IMHO) than other options... but, that's probably my $32 spent on the kit talking. :)
It does look like a decent solution at the price point. My post wasn't meant to be negative just an observation.

In my '56 ford there's a 60's AM radio cut in the dash and it was done pretty well. I hid the modern radio in the glove box.

rockota Will do. I don't drive that truck alot this winter since it has a fresh paint job, and I'd like to keep it that way. But I will need it at least one day this week. Brandon has made fuel so expensive that I'm driving a shitbox Subaru back and forth to work. It's going to be a learning curve for me. I have not invested in a mp3 player of any kind yet. So I have about a million CD's to transfer. :homer:

Tiha

IMG_20220207_175317206.jpg

IMG_20220207_175341859.jpg

IMG_20220207_175419936.jpg

There is a tiny little gap along the bottom. The left side you can't see because it up against the instrument panel, the top fits nice and tight, the right side is pretty ok.

Attachments

• IMG_20220207_175317206.jpg
    IMG_20220207_175317206.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
rockota Will do. I don't drive that truck alot this winter since it has a fresh paint job, and I'd like to keep it that way. But I will need it at least one day this week. Brandon has made fuel so expensive that I'm driving a shitbox Subaru back and forth to work. It's going to be a learning curve for me. I have not invested in a mp3 player of any kind yet. So I have about a million CD's to transfer. :homer:
How is the HU thus far?

Well...I'm gonna rate this HU at 4/5

Reason being, I had an issue with the Android auto during a phone call. Calling or receiving, when the call connected, the sound seemed to be in mono. I could unplug the USB between the phone and HU and the sound would switch to stereo and I could hear better, but still not great. It seems to me that you should be able to turn the call volume as high as the music, but that's not the case. Those on the other end could hear me clearly.

Crutchfield is great to deal with, and they sent me another HU. I swapped it out and the USB issue seems to be resolved. I am still disappointed with the call volume however. Between my loud truck and my less than perfect hearing, handsfree phone calls leave alot to be desired.

(Full disclosure...I did find that my front door speakers were NFG, so I had to buy some new ones, and that made a big difference too)

The backup camera is nice to have, and you can adjust the guidance lines, or turn them off completely if you'd like. Makes hooking a trailer easy if you have the camera adjusted right. I've ordered a second camera to mount to my crossbox, aimed at the gooseneck ball.

The touchscreen is responsive, but there have been a few times that the sun has made it a little hard to see even with dark tint on the windows. The display has several adjustments that may correct this, but I haven't got it completely dialed in yet.

The sound is great! It has several preset EQ's, or you can build your own. The sub output is powerful, and I've had to turn down my amp accordingly.

Overall, you get alot for your money with this one. My only real gripe is the in-call volume. I may add another pair of 6.5" speakers up front in the future and see what that does.

Well...I'm gonna rate this HU at 4/5

Reason being, I had an issue with the Android auto during a phone call. Calling or receiving, when the call connected, the sound seemed to be in mono. I could unplug the USB between the phone and HU and the sound would switch to stereo and I could hear better, but still not great. It seems to me that you should be able to turn the call volume as high as the music, but that's not the case. Those on the other end could hear me clearly.

Crutchfield is great to deal with, and they sent me another HU. I swapped it out and the USB issue seems to be resolved. I am still disappointed with the call volume however. Between my loud truck and my less than perfect hearing, handsfree phone calls leave alot to be desired.

(Full disclosure...I did find that my front door speakers were NFG, so I had to buy some new ones, and that made a big difference too)

The backup camera is nice to have, and you can adjust the guidance lines, or turn them off completely if you'd like. Makes hooking a trailer easy if you have the camera adjusted right. I've ordered a second camera to mount to my crossbox, aimed at the gooseneck ball.

The touchscreen is responsive, but there have been a few times that the sun has made it a little hard to see even with dark tint on the windows. The display has several adjustments that may correct this, but I haven't got it completely dialed in yet.

The sound is great! It has several preset EQ's, or you can build your own. The sub output is powerful, and I've had to turn down my amp accordingly.

Overall, you get alot for your money with this one. My only real gripe is the in-call volume. I may add another pair of 6.5" speakers up front in the future and see what that does.
Thanks for the feedback!

Don't know if android auto is the same as CarPlay, but I've had similar complaints about the HU in my 4Runner... when plugged in w/ carplay, the sound quality is worse than just using Bluetooth. And often, after a call, i can't get whatever app was playing (Audible, mostly) to always re-start on CarPlay...

I've also realized that Apple has this "hearing protection" situation where it will tell you you're listening to stuff too loud. Apparently, it assumes all BT devices (or all it doesn't "know" intimately) are ear phones... Switching them to speakers manually changes the behavior.

Ok ladies, time for an update.

I finally got around to mounting my second camera to my crossbox. I have a feeling this is going to be a nice addition when it comes time to hook a gooseneck.
IMG_20220410_150422271.jpg

IMG_20220410_155649321.jpg

I also spent most of the day cleaning up the wires and cables and bullshit that was hanging below the dash. The USB cable from the new HU and also the power cord and antenna for my Sirius radio. What I've done in the past was jam all the extra wire into the ashtray, and prop the Sirius in the ashtray and against the dash. I never really liked it, it was messy and unfinished. So today I removed the ashtray and it's support, and fabbed up a simple sheet metal panel to take it's place.

IMG_20220410_123840392.jpg
It doesn't fit exactly right, (I wish I could have got the corners to fit nicer) but good enough for this redneck. I found a swivel mount thing for the Sirius, and 1 universal cigarette lighter socket. I robbed the OE cig lighter socket from the ashtray. I cut holes for them into my new panel, and also added a hole for a USB passthrough sourced from Amazon.

IMG_20220410_130258184.jpg

All done and everything plugged in and operational. The Sirius is a bit of a reach to push buttons, but doable, and now firmly mounted. The top USB is for Apple CarPlay/AndroidAuto, the bottom is USB for MP3/charge port I'm happy with this episode of OBS modernization.

IMG_20220410_165830822.jpg

P.S. I painted it black because I didn't have the proper Opaque color in stock. :flipoff2:

Attachments

• IMG_20220410_165810284.jpg
    IMG_20220410_165810284.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 14
Top Back Refresh