What's new

Need dimensions! JD2 Model 32 Bender!

Toxocara

Member Number
Hi guys! First post. I'm designing a tube bender that combines JD2 Model 32 and the vertical bender from the Chopper Builders Handbook. I've been able to find most of what I need from various forums, but not everything.

If you have one of these benders and would be willing to whip out some calipers and a straight edge, I would greatly appreciate it!

I have seen countless posts all over the internet, spanning nearly a decade, of people looking for these measurements and plans for a model 32 style bender. As thanks to whoever helps me out, I will gladly make my CAD and DXF files freely available!

Thanks!

Screenshot_20240411-115119.png

Also, if you want to copy a product do the R&D yourself.

Buy the die you need and figure it out or get the gottrikes plans for $17

The reason people were asking all over the internet is because they were daydreaming about someday doing something. If they were serious they would already have the die in hand and a cheap knockoff of the model 32, or an even cheaper knockoff of that knockoff and be wrecking tube already instead of asking.

What part of "As thanks to whoever helps me out, I will gladly make my CAD and DXF files freely available!" was unclear to you old dumbass idiots? That's a pretty damn good offer. The world needs more shit like this freely available.

If I had a bender I'd help OP but unfortunately I don't.

What part of "As thanks to whoever helps me out, I will gladly make my CAD and DXF files freely available!" was unclear to you old dumbass idiots? That's a pretty damn good offer. The world needs more shit like this freely available.

If he can’t figure out hole spacing and location (the only real info not readily available on these things) I doubt he can draw them correctly anyways.

Also his offer of payment is like asking for a picture of something and offering to copy that picture as payment. That’s not how motivation works, whoever could provide that information does not need that payment.

If you care that much there is a $200 Chinese clone of the Woodward fab clone of the model 32 readily available on Amazon you can buy for him.

And he misused the help tag in his first post:lmao::flipoff2:

Man I definitely messed up this post huh? Sorry for using the wrong flag. I'll up front admit that I didn't know about that flag. It said help and that's what I needed so I just thought, "oh that's handy" XD My bad. I didn't mean to disrupt this forum or to bring it a bad name, I only posted here because my hunt for this information brought me to old posts on this forum that were relevant. So I figured the community here would be interested in this kind of thing. I have posted the same question on many other forums for the same reason.

As for trying to do the R&D myself, I would say that I've done as much as I can without spending a ton of money. The gottrike plans are only for the Model 3 bender, unless I'm mistaken. I have called JD2 myself the other day and asked the man on the phone if the model 3 dies had the same diameter between the center point of the pivot pin and the drive pin, even though the pivot pin is much larger. He informed me they are different, so model 3 dimensions are irrelevant. I have 2 scrapped versions of a bender I designed based off of the Chopper Builder's Handbook that I started on, but those plans are also for the model 3 and does not even have all the holes to use the biggest dies, but has great information on how to set up the geometry of the drive links to modify the bender to do 90* in one shot.

I would buy a die, in fact I will buy a die, but it won't do me much good in my R&D. Yes, that die would give me my measurements for the pivot pin and the drive link pin, but there are 3 different holes for the drive pins for 3 different size of dies. So I would have to buy 3 different dies to get all of this information. I'm a broke hobbyist and don't have that kind of money. Not to mention that buying these dies will not give me any of the information regarding the location of any of the 6 different follower block locations on the bender. Those blocks only have the number of the hole etched into them.

Buying a second hand copy is an idea, but then I would be putting money into the pockets of someone else who stole a design. I am not oblivious to the fact that I am trying to do something similar and copy a design here. But I'm not trying to make a dime off of it. And I'm still going to have to buy their dies. Not to mention this will be a vertical bender, harbor freight pump driven, with a further one shot bending radius. And I'm making the whole thing out of a few stacks of 1/4" plate, because I very commonly see that people who have at home plasmas cannot cut more than 3/8" when the original bender calls for 3/4".

The cad files and DXFs for the model 3 have been out and freely available for more than a decade. But that bender is no longer sold, and support for the model 3 dies will likely end someday. The model 32 has been out for over 10 years as well, but it's a lot newer. And those dies are capable of twice the wall thickness for the EXACT same price as the model 3 dies. You'd be silly to buy the model 3 dies if you were starting from new like I am.

I am not trying to be annoying, a thief, or the villain here. I am merely trying to provide information that has been sought after for a long time according to everything I have been reading for the last few days. I'm trying to provide something, free of charge, that will be a great tool to all of us hobbyists out there. And even if you build your own bender, making the dies is a whole other thing that most people wouldn't even attempt. So JD2 is still getting paid.

I apologize for ruffling any feathers here. That was absolutely not my intention. I hope you understand and if anyone would like to help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

I already own a 32 and so would whoever would be giving him the needed number so how does that help anyone who already bought the actual product he’s trying to rip off?:lmao:

If he can’t figure out hole spacing and location (the only real info not readily available on these things) I doubt he can draw them correctly anyways.

Also his offer of payment is like asking for a picture of something and offering to copy that picture as payment. That’s not how motivation works, whoever could provide that information does not need that payment.

If you care that much there is a $200 Chinese clone of the Woodward fab clone of the model 32 readily available on Amazon you can buy for him.

And he misused the help tag in his first post:lmao::flipoff2:
The hole spacing and location is the only relevant information I need. There is a post on the Chopper Compendium from 2015 (JD2 M32 need some dimensions - The Chopper Compendium) where someone was asking for the same info and a guy gave all of the spacing for the main body of the bender. The part with the follower pin holes. but not the spacing of the holes for the drive pins on the drive links. That's all I really need at this point.
Attached is the measurements you can get from that post. Though I'd love to have someone verify his measurements as well. He seemed to do a great job, but like I said early, unless I buy one each of 6 different sized dies, I won't know if everything fits perfectly and I'd hate to make something, make it available, and then it be wrong. Talk about an oof.

Attachments

• Rough Draft.PNG
    Rough Draft.PNG
    93.3 KB · Views: 3
I’m not accurate enough with a tape measure, let along whatever scientist means of measuring you’re using or I would offer to give you some measurements off mine.

I already own a 32 and so would whoever would be giving him the needed number so how does that help anyone who already bought the actual product he’s trying to rip off?:lmao:
I mean to say that I would make these files free to the public. For everyone. The "as thanks" thing was because I genuinely thought more people would be happy to see stuff like this spread out. Like I said, the drawings for the model 3 bender have been available for more than a decade and countless homemade recreations, not for sale or profit, have been made. This was just gonna be an update to that.

I’m not accurate enough with a tape measure, let along whatever scientist means of measuring you’re using or I would offer to give you some measurements off mine.
Do you have a set of calipers? I can make a simple drawing showing exactly what I need. It's only a couple things and would be dead simple.

whoever could provide that information does not need that payment.

He's providing the information to the community. Basically the same as the ol' "make a donation, get a VIN check" thing.

Link?

You stepped on a ant bed...

I was in your spot and convinced myself I could build a bender cheaper than buying.
After trying to design the bender, needing relevant dimensions and not finding them I really examined the M32 and there was no money to be saved IMO. I was going to build a bender for several weeks when I wanted to build a cage.

I ended up doing a JK cage conversion for a buddy that paid for the bender easily.
Now that all the Woodward Fab (China) has blatantly stolen JD2's products I don't have any interest in helping perpetuate that behavior.
If these American fab companies get ripped off and can't stay in business who will put in the work to develop tools we need and can use to make our jobs easier.

It's a ****y point of view I'm sure but fuck it, I paid for this shit and I can decide who gets to rip it off.

1712925850416.jpeg

This is 3 hours away but I saved it several weeks ago… I thought it was an OK deal even without a die I require

On the Amazon link does that use JD dies?

Attachments

• IMG_5452.png
    IMG_5452.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
This is 3 hours away but I saved it several weeks ago… I thought it was an OK deal even without a die I require

On the Amazon link does that use JD dies?
Looking at the reviews, most say the Woodward fab dies work and they are a JD2 v3 clone

Well through the study of a bunch of pictures, more old forum posts, and a couple of lucky fiends, I think I have all of the critical measurements anyway. Couple of things I need to change before I finish designing the drive arms and the frame this will ultimately be a part of. But it's about there. Still would like to confirm a few things if anyone is willing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-04-19-14-03-52-38_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-19-14-03-52-38_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1
You stepped on a ant bed...

I was in your spot and convinced myself I could build a bender cheaper than buying.
After trying to design the bender, needing relevant dimensions and not finding them I really examined the M32 and there was no money to be saved IMO. I was going to build a bender for several weeks when I wanted to build a cage.

I ended up doing a JK cage conversion for a buddy that paid for the bender easily.
Now that all the Woodward Fab (China) has blatantly stolen JD2's products I don't have any interest in helping perpetuate that behavior.
If these American fab companies get ripped off and can't stay in business who will put in the work to develop tools we need and can use to make our jobs easier.

It's a ****y point of view I'm sure but fuck it, I paid for this shit and I can decide who gets to rip it off.

1712925850416.jpeg

Have any more pics of that cage? I wanna copy it.... lol :flipoff2:

But seriously, it does look like a nice add on to the factory cage.

Building your own is not the same as Woodward offering copies for sale.

He's not looking to clone the JD2.
I'm designing a tube bender that combines JD2 Model 32 and the vertical bender

Not mine:
proxy.php.jpg

Building your own is not the same as Woodward offering copies for sale.

He's not looking to clone the JD2.

Not mine:
proxy.php.jpg
Agreed, I am less salty about it now...

Have any more pics of that cage? I wanna copy it.... lol :flipoff2:

But seriously, it does look like a nice add on to the factory cage.
I was a lot dumber in the game back then and this was a "customer" wants X type of deal. I only wanted to pay for the bender...
It needed a b pillar diagonal and seat bar but that was a deal breaker for the guy (web wheeler I think).
He was really pleased with it and I explained it needed padding everywhere to be sort of safe, he was a nurse(?) and agreed.
I have no idea how it turned out this was 15 years ago
1713561710699.jpeg

I was a lot dumber in the game back then and this was a "customer" wants X type of deal. I only wanted to pay for the bender...
It needed a b pillar diagonal and seat bar but that was a deal breaker for the guy (web wheeler I think).
He was really pleased with it and I explained it needed padding everywhere to be sort of safe, he was a nurse(?) and agreed.
I have no idea how it turned out this was 15 years ago
1713561710699.jpeg

That looks very similar to what I did to my old stretched TJ back in the day. Back when tubing was cheap, time was plenty and Poision Spider Customs cages were expensive. :laughing:

Top Back Refresh