What's new

Modern 3/4t Gassers

Fleet use? If you're cheap enough to spec XL, you probably don't want the added fuel cost of the 7.3 unless you're hauling heavier.
I kind of thought the same, but the XL trucks you can tell are spec'd for non fleet use still had 6.8's so had me wondering.

And cheap, :flipoff2:shit....Xl gets you everything you need, and more

Summary. Exhaust brake kept the diesel at 52 all the way down hill without touching the mechanical brakes. Set the cruise at 60 and it went all the way back up without trouble. Gas downshifted to 3rd and has used the brakes a couple times already and I think I’ve already beat the longest time I’ve ever spent watching a video. Somebody else is going to have to finish it.

Summary. Exhaust brake kept the diesel at 52 all the way down hill without touching the mechanical brakes. Set the cruise at 60 and it went all the way back up without trouble. Gas downshifted to 3rd and has used the brakes a couple times already and I think I’ve already beat the longest time I’ve ever spent watching a video. Somebody else is going to have to finish it.
Sounds like the gasser wins then

Not watching those annoying fucks
They really are annoying. They only test things affected by gear ratio, but just run whatever the heck they could easily get their hands on. And the whole thought of "ermagherd, if it didn't shift to x gear automatically, it's incapable of doing so--this truck sucks" thing--that's really frustrating. I didn't see them do that in this particular video, but that's the norm. And the old guy doesn't seem to know shit about any of the vehicles.

Gas engine maintained 60mph the whole way up, temps stayed fine, needed near WOT a little bit in some spots, but never lost speed. Got shitty mileage on the grade (3.3mpg vs 4.x).

How much wieght?

Not watching those annoying fucks

I’ve found it helpful to see how the truck performs dragging something up a hill. I give zero fucks about what they say other than throttle position. Luckily, they display temps, speed and RPM for most of it and you can make your own decision.

They really are annoying. They only test things affected by gear ratio, but just run whatever the heck they could easily get their hands on. And the whole thought of "ermagherd, if it didn't shift to x gear automatically, it's incapable of doing so--this truck sucks" thing--that's really frustrating. I didn't see them do that in this particular video, but that's the norm. And the old guy doesn't seem to know shit about any of the vehicles.
Yeah, I skip the whole downhill as I don’t see the point. I don’t care if I need to use the brakes, that’s what they’re for: to use. Did they smoke? No? Fucking alright then, let’s roll.

That being said, the climb up the hill with similar trailers to what we’d have had helped me a ton. I’ve yet to get a dealer to let me hook up my shit to a truck during a test drive. :flipoff2:

Sounds like the gasser wins then

Unless you like effortless acceleration......... An HO PS tows 10K like you are driving an above average powered modern sedan.
Needed?, maybe not, but it sure is nice on the back roads of PA, with hill after hill after hill after hill. It also gets me over 400 miles
range (with 48 gallon tank on long bed), so no stopping on a one day trip, out to offroad parks and back

And as usual, you get that $10-12K back if you sell.

Unless you like effortless acceleration......... An HO PS tows 10K like you are driving an above average powered modern sedan.
Needed?, maybe not, but it sure is nice on the back roads of PA, with hill after hill after hill after hill. It also gets me over 400 miles
range (with 48 gallon tank on long bed), so no stopping on a one day trip, out to offroad parks and back

How many gas trucks have you ever heard about people needing to pull the entire cab to replace broken shit? The seemingly high likelihood of catastrophic failure is what keeps me away from recommending diesel unless it’s for very large loads.

It would have been nice to see a 4.30 geared Godzilla or a non-tremor powerstroke.

How many gas trucks have you ever heard about people needing to pull the entire cab to replace broken shit? The seemingly high likelihood of catastrophic failure is what keeps me away from recommending diesel unless it’s for very large loads.
Pretty much this. Towing up Ike with 11k at quarter pedal is cool and all, but completely unnecessary. I’ll deal with having to occasionally nearly floor it if it means $12k+ price difference plus all the other headaches. All my friends with modern diesels have code scanners in their trucks. Dodge, Ford, Chevy, doesn’t matter. That light is turning on sometime.

Not sure how close you’ve been following prices but gas and diesel have been a wash in the last few months that I’ve been looking. For another truck.

I find a lot more used 6.7s with cc lb than gas jobbers. I have no desire to own a modern emissions era diesel.

Really all forced induction trucks these days. F150 ecoboost s, Toyota tundras, almost all diesels…

Having both a 6.7 and 7.3 Tremors…. Initial Cost and cp4/emissions worries aside… diesel is cheaper to drive. When adding the oil change/fuel filter change at the dealer, diesel costs me about $20/mo more. Averaging 12 (4.30 gears) in the gas, 18 (3.55 gears) in the diesel. The diesel is easier to drive with the insta-torque.

Had I never owned a diesel, the 7.3 would be peak of towing experience. Still likely will be the one that starts in the fleet because cp4.

I am getting the 10 year warrantee (mostly for the electronic gremlins, if/when).
By the time this thing is out of that, I will be 70.

Either I won't even need a SD (or maybe even a truck at all) anymore,
or the eco-freaks will be correct, and I can drop in solid state batteries where the 48 gallon tank was,
two solid axles (with integral motors), and be able to charge in 10 minutes or less, EVERYWHERE

I also fix my own bobcat (and the 496-I/O in my 23' boat) . Not really scared of tight spaces or
even pulling a cab 11 years from now (if/when), not that big of a deal.......

Not sure how close you’ve been following prices but gas and diesel have been a wash in the last few months that I’ve been looking. For another truck.

I find a lot more used 6.7s with cc lb than gas jobbers. I have no desire to own a modern emissions era diesel.

If you have a good site that lists actual transaction prices for the average guy, with enough transactions listed
I can make a direct comparison (like Autotrader), I'll gladly take a look (and not a bring-a-trailer type site).

All I did was go on Autotrader and try to find two trucks with as close to the same equipment/use,
with the only difference being 7.3 or 6.7. Generally, asking is about a 10-12 grand spread.

Really all forced induction trucks these days. F150 ecoboost s, Toyota tundras, almost all diesels…

Having both a 6.7 and 7.3 Tremors…. Initial Cost and cp4/emissions worries aside… diesel is cheaper to drive. When adding the oil change/fuel filter change at the dealer, diesel costs me about $20/mo more. Averaging 12 (4.30 gears) in the gas, 18 (3.55 gears) in the diesel. The diesel is easier to drive with the insta-torque.

Had I never owned a diesel, the 7.3 would be peak of towing experience. Still likely will be the one that starts in the fleet because cp4.
Ok, so you wouldn't trust the diesel in the fleet, but will for yourself? Maybe I misunderstood that.

If you have a good site that lists actual transaction prices for the average guy, with enough transactions listed
I can make a direct comparison (like Autotrader), I'll gladly take a look (and not a bring-a-trailer type site).

All I did was go on Autotrader and try to find two trucks with as close to the same equipment/use,
with the only difference being 7.3 or 6.7. Generally, asking is about a 10-12 grand spread.

Just observation from the last 6 months. Been looking for lariat for my dad and backup truck to replace the current backup that is going on 350k and starting to nickel and dime me to death. Only requirements are 4x4, long bed, cc, 2017+.

Whenever I find a truck that seems to check the box’s and be priced competitively it is a 6.7. Not sure if there’s just more diesels than gas in cclb but it seems like I’ll find two or three a month that check the box’s and they end up being diesels.

Just observation from the last 6 months. Been looking for lariat for my dad and backup truck to replace the current backup that is going on 350k and starting to nickel and dime me to death. Only requirements are 4x4, long bed, cc, 2017+.

Whenever I find a truck that seems to check the box’s and be priced competitively it is a 6.7. Not sure if there’s just more diesels than gas in cclb but it seems like I’ll find two or three a month that check the box’s and they end up being diesels.
There is more diesels. It's just a status symbol thing, if you can get the price down enough to justify compared to the gas then have at it.

Diesel costs cheaper to operate as long as you ignore costs :flipoff2: 4.30 gearing for a gasser with over drive and granny first gear is just folks chasing the "diesels feel" off the line pull. Get rid of that and go with a :shocked: 3.5 gear in the gasser and beat 12mpg unloaded as well.

There is more diesels. It's just a status symbol thing, if you can get the price down enough to justify compared to the gas then have at it.

Diesel costs cheaper to operate as long as you ignore costs :flipoff2: 4.30 gearing for a gasser with over drive and granny first gear is just folks chasing the "diesels feel" off the line pull. Get rid of that and go with a :shocked: 3.5 gear in the gasser and beat 12mpg unloaded as well.

I have a few 12 valves(more sitting on pallets than in trucks anymore), great for what they are are and my only diesels, actually almost bought another one yesterday just because it was a 4x4 5 speed under 3k. In my use bed and cab space are more important than pulling power. I max out at 15k a few times a year and it’s relatively flat here 1k max elevation change.

Ok, so you wouldn't trust the diesel in the fleet, but will for yourself? Maybe I misunderstood that.
if I was a fleet manager, I'd lean heavy 7.3... heavy.

the only reason I have the 7.3 is because I don't trust the 6.7's CP4... Hasn't let me down yet, but it's like it whispers in my ear every time i drive.

For DD... i like it better than the gas. Haven't towed with gas, so can't compare those. I've put 50K+ miles on 6.7's and 200 miles on a 7.3... so much of this is just getting used to the difference.

I do think a Pedal Monster is probably mandatory... the lag on the 7.3 is a bit extreme, IMHO.

What I took from the episode is that if you towed 11k up the same grade with a Duramax vs. 8.1/6.0 gas 15+ years ago or a 6.0 PS vs a V10 or 24V vs 6.4 hemi the difference would have been more noticeable.

The 10 speed and the new motor has closed to gap for towing in the 18k gross range. Cut the elevation in half but same grade %. I’d imagine the difference would be less. Now, the difference becomes substantial at some point, but at what point is that at?

20k? 24k? 26k gross? And compare that to 15+ years ago, did the difference happen at 15k gross?

Diesel is much more expensive in Pennsylvania. Between $1 and $2 more.

Diesel is much more expensive in Pennsylvania. Between $1 and $2 more.

Was talking truck prices not fuel costs.

It the same here last time diesel was cheaper was Covid before the Russia Ukraine debacle started.

I see the used low trim 7.3’s priced about same as 6.7 diesel lately

Probably guys fed up with their lemon... :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh