What's new

Looking at first trailer purchase

71PA_Highboy

An Unknown but Engorged Member
Member Number
Loc
Near the Triad, Lookin' at the freeway
And you assholes are where I get all my trailer info so I know I am fucked...:lmao:

Needs: My tractor (Ford1700 w/FEL) and mini-ex on the trailer at the same time. Mini ex is ~2K lbs. Tractor is in the 5k range. Occasional car.

Tow rig: 71 F250 with 79 D60 F&R - Stock spring and airbags rear, Super duty springs up front. Axle combo on a 79 is 14K GVWR so that would max out everything.

Figure that means a 10K trailer.

Looking at this: Log into Facebook but it says 5 lug rims, and I thought anything above 3.5K was 6 or 8 lug.

Price seems OK for new, but the axles concern me.

Saw this one: Log into Facebook

$750-ish more, 6 lug axles, closer to home.

Am I over thinking this for occasional use?

Do you really need the tractor and the ex at the same time? Can you get ghetto ramping the mini-ex into the bed of a truck (maybe from the trailer) on the rare occasion you need both.

The fact that you need both at the same time is what's fucking you into a bigger more expensive trailer vs a bog standard 7k car hauler.

20170909_104922.jpg

Id think a 10 k trailer, or if you really felt the need a 12k de-rated if you at 8 lugs.

I think the greater question is the size of deck and style of deck. Often the longer the deck you need, the more they rate the trailer. The trailer itself just simply eats a certain portion of the capacity. like you cant order a 24' 7k trailer from most ppl.

Should be able to get a 14k for that same price range. Better tires, wheels, brakes, frame ect.

I put a 3500 lb Toyota and 2500 lb samurai on a new 10k and cracked 2 wheels :homer: they aren't built like they used to.

Just get a 14k
This.

Easy to underestimate what stuff weighs. So if that 7k combo is actually 8+ when heading to use, not many worthwhile 10k trailers with enough space actually weigh under 2k.

Then to get the weight distribution right, what length is needed? Eating up more weight.

Then, this job could use this attachment that weighs an extra 1-2k.

Seeing that you are in the 6k budget and in/near NC based on the two trailers you posted, I'd look at Bigfoot trailers. I went with a 20' 10k equipment trailer with a few extra options (spare, rub rail, upgraded jack and demco coupler) and was 6100 OTD. I could increase rating to 12k by going to different tires. Ordered and then picked up two weeks later at their ashland va location.

Edit: Re-read post and seeing that you want the mini and tractor on the trailer at the same time I'd at least look at the weight difference between the 10k and 14k before deciding... If your tow rig isnt gonna suffer with the extra weight then personally i'd lean towards the 14k... better to have the capacity and not need it than need it and not have it.

The model I went with 10K Equipment Trailers | The Perfect Light Duty Equipment Trailer

362617431_10161426611042033_2807382730729600723_n.jpg

Last edited:
Fwiw, I've towed 14k trailers that "felt" the same as 7k and 10k trailers that felt heavier. If stuck on 10k, at least try to get 16s as the the 15s and they come with suck.

Different companies don't change much between 10k and 14k, while others seem to jump the frame size up a lot making it much heavier.

When I ordered my 18' I went with a 10k trailer but it's got 6 lug 6k axles under it. If I was doing a 24" I'd bump up to 14k especially if I was putting equipment on it. You buy a 10k and the trailer weighs 3k that leaves you with 7k to put on it. Tractor and mini already got you maxed out at 7k...

I just don't see the point buying the smallest trailer you can and maxing it out from the start.

It isn't the smallest trailer I can buy... It is big enough to do more than I usually have any need to do.

I have never needed a trailer to move both units at once before this week. Last week I would have been happy with a 7K car hauler.

I am also trying to stay within the limits of my tow rig, as buying a new tow rig really makes no sense.

With a reasonable tow rig limit of 14K GVWR, getting a 14K trailer seems like extra expense and unusable capacity.

A 10K with 12K axles seems to be the perfect middle of the road solution... Unless someone is buying me a new tow rig.

I think the point is that there is really no downside to the 14k.
I must be missing the point.

Every lb of trailer weight reduces the overall capacity, and my capacity to tow is limited to less than 10K (4.5K for the tow rig).

I can understand durability issues, which is why a 10K with heavier axles makes sense on that front, but overall capacity is not there.

What is more clear to you than to me? Why do I want to pay for 4.5 K of capacity I cannot use?

Sounds like you are overly concerned with the lb number :flipoff2:

If the trailer wight difference between a 14k and 10k is just a couple hundred pounds, there is no downside to a 14k

If it is 500+ lbs then sure, stick lighter.

Are you going bumper pull or gooseneck or doesn't matter?

Every lb of trailer weight reduces the overall capacity, and my capacity to tow is limited to less than 10K (4.5K for the tow rig).

I can understand durability issues, which is why a 10K with heavier axles makes sense on that front, but overall capacity is not there.

What is more clear to you than to me? Why do I want to pay for 4.5 K of capacity I cannot use?

Because often companies make a 10k and 14k trailer almost the same except a few things. Making the wieght difference very little.

You get bigger brakes, which will stop that same load better.

You get 8 lug 16" wheels, which are more common and much better than 15" trailer tires and wheels. Although, some 10k trailers come with 16s, most are 15s.

Like I said, you're looking at ~$6k trailers, I think you can get into a 14k for around the same price.

Example

Last edited:

The point is stated ratings mean nothing. No one is going to scale your rig.

Look at overall construction in the styles/brand you like. Get the biggest axles available you can afford. Then buy the best tires left in the budget.

What's powering the 71, can it even pull 7k plus a trailer well? Not trying to be a dick but no sense really talking about bigger trailers if it's gonna struggle to pull 5k.

The point is stated ratings mean nothing. No one is going to scale your rig.

Look at overall construction in the styles/brand you like. Get the biggest axles available you can afford. Then buy the best tires left in the budget.

That's basically what I was trying to say, just used to talking numbers when I comes to axles. But how you said it makes more sense to someone not around trailers everyday.

What's powering the 71, can it even pull 7k plus a trailer well? Not trying to be a dick but no sense really talking about bigger trailers if it's gonna struggle to pull 5k.
It's got a 360 4v.

Last rig I pulled was a 5000 lb bronco on U-haul car trailer.... I could do 70 but I was running into issues with RPM (going to 80) rather than load issue. 4.10 makes the difference.

If it gets bad I have a 390 on the stand I can drop into it...;)

Getting a 14k trailer also means you’re set for when you switch to a bigger or newer truck. As a long term solution, do you really want to tear that truck up doing this?

Just to really drive the point home, here is a page from the owners manual for my 1980

F350 with 5.8L/351 engine isn't listed as able to tow a trailer above 3,500 lbs :laughing: 5th wheel has a max weight of 6,500 lbs. Good luck finding a trailer rated that light. Nobody in their right mind is going to not tow 7k lbs on a goose/5th with any F350.

1711320145819.png

Top Back Refresh